Backstabbing

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Useful Dave
level2
level2

Uber Backstabbed

Postby Useful Dave » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:27 pm

5 On one... Bastards, I Was able to hit them in return though, 3 Subs off Luk0rs coast.
Rodan
level0

Postby Rodan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:50 pm

What is the favorite tool for the backstab? My most successful was myself as USSR allied with EU and SAsia. We'd mopped up pretty well and the timer hadn't started yet, so i just launched a few salvos at Tokyo, Beijing, Bombay, etc etc and then hit leave alliance just before they hit. Quite a mess.

In retrospect, however, had something gone wrong i would have ended up taking a chunk out of my score. Are bombers safer/otherwise better? By this point in-game i've usually spent all my subs, but they are the sneaky option...

decisions decisions :mrgreen:
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:54 am

lol in them screenshots ive played with most them players, 2 to name was hegemon hog and kyle lol. love the way you remember people on defcon. Tis very cool
How about a nice game of chess?
kaikai
level1
level1

Postby kaikai » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 am

not a fan of back stabbing at all, ticks me off alot
Studders
level1
level1

Postby Studders » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:45 am

kaikai wrote:not a fan of back stabbing at all, ticks me off alot

i must admit when i backstab i dont like it but it just makes the game interesting i think, i dont mean to tick anyone off, like if some1 did it to me i wud understand lol. this guy i played last night took it well, he was called goose i think and i wud like to think that people dont actually get too pissed of about it lol
How about a nice game of chess?
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:06 pm

If you don't like backstabbing, play another game. I love backstabbing, my main strategy is simple:

Launch all nukes while still in alliance, and a couple of seconds before the first nukes hit, leave alliance. Instant ownage.
Cargo Cult
level1
level1

Postby Cargo Cult » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:30 pm

Something I've been wondering about - what happens if you don't leave the alliance before the nukes hit? Points deducted, or something?

Alliances are, after all, merely a way of getting your missiles closer to your opponents. ;-)
Panzeh
level0

Postby Panzeh » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:00 pm

If you don't want to get backstabbed, be a solo player and basically stay away from alliances.

If you are going solo, go red as soon as the game starts in diplomacy mode.
MrFoo
level1
level1

Postby MrFoo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:05 pm

You can destroy silos/fleets/airbases/radars whilst allied with someone with no penalty (at least in terms of points), but if you hit a city you lose as many points as the victim does.
OutOfAmmo
level1
level1

Postby OutOfAmmo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:46 pm

I was playing a 2v2v2 game, with me as Africa and my ally as South Asia. I got a request from the two players in the Americas to join their alliance. I accepted, expecting them to backstab me. Due to Europe and South Asia clustering their silos near Africa, I couldn't do that much damage. However, in the pacific, my allies did a good job of taking out Russia's and SA's navy, so they used their subs to great effect. My subs, a group near the Red Sea and another the Strait of Gibalter, di little more than take out a radar dish and an airfield :shock: . Oddly enough, the player in SA never allied with Russia/Europe.

I was impressed. Even after I had exhausted most of my nukes, when my allies could've turned around and wiped me out, they didn't.
ander75it
level2
level2

Postby ander75it » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Well, yesterday I was in a 2 vs 2, SAm with Europe as my ally... Asia and Russia as enemies. I didn't backstab Europe even though it was seriously weakened. Why? Simple. First reason (not the most important) Asia was well ahead, hitting Europe would have done little to even the score. Second reason, most important, it felt much more satisfying leveling India and Japan. Third reason, my ally played very well, and I felt I had done less than my share (I was too far to help most of the time), so it didn't feel right to attack him. I play to win, but I also play to play a nice and satisfying game. Which includes honoring alliances when it is proper.
Ander
@=

Message follows, Alpha, Seven, Eight, November, Foxtrot, One, Five, Two, Two
Liam079
level1
level1

Postby Liam079 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:40 pm

I always go for the top player, if that is an ally than so be it.
Archinerd
level1
level1

Postby Archinerd » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:56 pm

Cargo Cult wrote:Something I've been wondering about - what happens if you don't leave the alliance before the nukes hit? Points deducted, or something?

This is exactly what happens.
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Cargo Cult wrote:Something I've been wondering about - what happens if you don't leave the alliance before the nukes hit? Points deducted, or something?

In default scoring mode, -2 points per million instead of +2! Be careful! Note that you can still bomb the land based structures of your ally if you turn off cease-fire before your nukes hit.
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:50 pm

I had a fun game earlier... I was Europe, cooperated with Russia. We pooled our defences around one area, and had great success wiping out two other players (China and the United States). However, South America and Africa decided to ally against us, and soon about half of Europe (including London *weeps*). I let Russia counter-attack, as I was under a hail of nukes, and got his score up to 200 or so. I then persuaded him to let loose all of his silos on Africa.

Mistake! My nukes going for the near-devastated 'China' all landed on Russian cities and facilities, utterly wiping him. Oops!

Of course, that set off the victory timer, and Africa further proceeded to wipe me out. I managed a score of about 90, Russia 200, the others sub-50. I did have the most population surviving, though (49 million).

Return to “Strategic Air Command”