whats the best fleet balance?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:32 pm

i hadn't realised subs could attack battleships. Does it give away their position? and will they do so automatically?
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
JaguarUSF
level1
level1

Postby JaguarUSF » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:09 pm

If the subs are in passive mode, I think they can attack if they have radar coverage in their fleet; this is an advantage of placing a sub or two in a mixed fleet with battleships (the enemy being attacked by something that they can't see). Active sonar mode will let subs attack on their own, but make them visible to everyone in radar range.
Daemondim
level1
level1

Postby Daemondim » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:13 pm

No need for it to be in their fleet.
If you or your ally has radar coverage, use those passive subs. I think, and I'm not certain about this, but I think, they show up as a radar shadow. But! Have Faith! They can't be attacked except by A) Other subs in active sonar mode, which will definitely show up to your passive subs, or B) Aircraft carriers in antisub mode.

A good tactic is to use a battleship fleet to attack, a couple carrier groups to suppoert them (I split my carriers into groups of 3, and leave them back at nearly fighter range. Fighters can be resupplied, and bombers are better for sea battles, your fighters are just around to take care of enemy bombers/fighters...) and if your subs happen to be in the area, as everything is hitting the fan, sweep them in while the enemy carreirs are making their fighter/bomber launches, since they probably won't have gone to sub mode.. yet. One or two carriers go down, and I garauntee that they'll switch to antisub mode, so get out of there as fast as you can.

Hope that helped.

Dae
Ruges
level2
level2

Postby Ruges » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:02 pm

I like to keep all my subs single. then stitch out a string of subs along the coast line of my enemy. Even if they have a nvay and airforce patroling I can get a few nukes off before they are destroyed.
Ruges
Guild leader of HoD
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:15 pm

man. I had no idea you could create fleets with less than six. And I'm a beta tester. How stupid am I?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
MrFoo
level1
level1

Postby MrFoo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:15 pm

I tend to have lots of 3-ship fleets, all the same type, so fleets of 3 subs, 3 carriers or 3 battleships. The battleships tend to lead, with the carriers a safe distance behind, in bomber mode, and the subs off getting in position.
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:07 pm

I was mostly using lots of six, 3c/3b and 6 subs, but I shall definitely consider using these other strategies!
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:36 pm

kruko wrote:I place al the ships one by one. It takes a quick hand to control efficiently, but the micromanagement is much more better.

:shock:
steersman
level0

Postby steersman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:22 am

I've tried a few different fleet combos and found, surprise, success depends on what your opponent is doing - hence the joy of the game.
If you have small sub fleets, say 3s, they'll get zapped by any nearby airbase before they've got off more than 1 or 2 nukes each - subs get trashed even by fighters.
It also doesn't matter what mix of ships you've got if your oppenent keeps their fleets in a tight bunch - they just pound through you on to your next fleet. Of course this is only a problem when you play with certain territories, eg Europe v southern Asia - everyone wants to go via the Cape!

Just try something new each time - if you win once, it may not win next time!
lasertrout
level1
level1

Postby lasertrout » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:28 am

manni wrote:I just realized that I did never think about using fleets with less than 6 ships :lol:

Neither did I!

Wow, this is gonna open up some possibilites...

What if you just have 36 "fleets" of 1 ship each?
You'd have to micromanage like a mofo but think of the freedom you'd have...
KallDrexx
level0

Postby KallDrexx » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:52 am

lasertrout wrote:Neither did I!

usually what I do
lasertrout
level1
level1

Postby lasertrout » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:33 am

KallDrexx wrote:
lasertrout wrote:Neither did I!

usually what I do

Sweet.

I like the idea of submarine-battleship pairs for offense, and individual carriers for sub defense...
Gotta try that.
Blackace
level0

Postby Blackace » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:15 am

3 Fleets of 3 SSBs to place sync. nuke attacks (preferably support surface vessels against enemy fleets)
2 Fleets of 5 FFGs plus 1 SSB to interdict enemy naval assets while scanning for depths
2 Fleets of 6 CVs to perform support operations, (worst idea is to bring your carriers to front just for antisub ops, instead use bomber patrols to zap enemy subs preparing for launch.
1 Fleet of 2 FFGs plus 1 SSB to block coastal enemy airbase or a strait

Some people said that launching SLBMs one by one from subs, which is the worst idea, best thing to do it to find out enemy assets, and conduct a general operation with land and carrier borne bombers and subs, this will overwhelm enemy air defence, and will get u some kills. Placing attacks one by one will only get your nukes zapped in mid air, or will leave your launchers open for concentrated attacks)

Some general tactics,

-x- Never let your bombers get bagged by enemy ships, because fighters and silos are already a high threat.
-x- Never place your airbases to front line, use carrierborne fighters for scouting
-x- Never surface your subs unless you have Total Air Superiorty
-x- Subs kill any surface vessel faster then anything else, consider this for both defensive and offensively
-x- Before moving fleet around use fighters to spot enemy fleet, and zap it with subs
-x- Dont worry for enemy silos, first one who destroy enemy navy will prevail, because this will neutralize ABILITY "to fire 12 Cruise missiles and 9+ SLBMs at the same time", which 6 Silos can never achive or compete against...

and if u are looking for a result
92.3 Million kills to 0.00 loss, well Ive lost an airbase...

Return to “Strategic Air Command”