Scouting the Enemy

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Scouting the Enemy

Postby Phrage » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:51 am

I know it is necessary to scout the enemy, and i know the most useful method to do so is using carrier fighters. However whenever i've tried doing so they just get all shot down by a singular air defense. Does anyone have any tips for reconnaissance?
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
Daemondim
level1
level1

Postby Daemondim » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:03 am

Nothing particularly useful. Multple (3-6) carriers launching at once give you at least a decent chance of getting the job done, with 1-2 carriers launching bombers in the same wave, to strike at the uncovered targets pretty much immediately make some difference. But in general, you're sending your planes to their death. Smile and wave.

Everybody Dies.
Alagos
level1
level1

Postby Alagos » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:22 am

They winner is who loses the least ;-).
rowenlemmings
level1
level1

Postby rowenlemmings » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:14 am

Fighters are never expected to come back.

The only time I've ever had a fighter come back is when they were autolaunched -- any time I launch one I launch it past its point of no return.
=- Rowen
=-
=- || No, I won't fix your computer.
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:00 pm

Yup, poor fighters are stuck on suicide missions. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just one life for millions :twisted: . But yeah, when you send "scouts" you're pretty much just crossing your fingers that they uncover at least one silo or airbase before they're shot down.
Ed
level0

Postby Ed » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:15 pm

Ya don't need any recon!

Just send bombers - nukes from subs and nukes from silos all in at the same time at multiple citties. It gets the job done.
Mimick
level0

Postby Mimick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Maybe I'm wrong (I'm still noob) but in general, i prefer not use massive scout with my carrier fighters, I prefer if I can use my airports fighters because they are replaced automaticaly. But I scoot with carriers fighter for know where the naval units are.
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:47 pm

If you use your carriers and airbases correctly, it's possible to send your carriers' fighters off on suicide scouting runs whilst refreshing the carrier with fighters from the airbase. This means you have to be within the airbase's maximium operating range but outside the point of no return range.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:06 pm

Daxx wrote:If you use your carriers and airbases correctly, it's possible to send your carriers' fighters off on suicide scouting runs whilst refreshing the carrier with fighters from the airbase. This means you have to be within the airbase's maximium operating range but outside the point of no return range.

thats a damn good idea
th3rogue
level1
level1

Postby th3rogue » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:10 pm

You can manually land fighters/bombers on carriers too
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:59 pm

That makes the tactic all the more viable. Of course, that would require a lot more micromanagement (less than perfect for shorter games, especially as you're probably better off micromanaging the carriers themselves/other fleets.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:48 pm

It seems micromanaging your planes (especially bombers) is very important. It's too easy to waste them needlessly if you get careless about where you send them, and it's a tragedy when they have such a great range, are excellent against fleets, *and* they carry nukes. When used right, they seem better than subs.
Ed
level0

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:26 am

SOunds like a good idea - for longer games of course.

I find that with bombers, they are good to be used in conjuction with subs and/or ICBM's.

As many missiles and aircraft as possible at one time splits the enemy fire and gives them too many targets.
Initiate Attack Plan R!
Yonder
level1
level1

Postby Yonder » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:26 am

Bomber are utterly fantastic if used properly. Keep carriers behind your battleships (in separate fleets), have them launch bombers which move parallel to the battle line at the edge of their range. They can blast away at Battleships without being touched, and fighters will have to make it past your fighters and your battleship line without dying.

When nuking, launch them from far away, I mean way way farther than your subs launch from. If you do it right their weapon is already primed (4 minute load time) when it gets into range. He turns around and makes it back home safe and sound. If their radar is down (always a good idea) they will never see you coming, and if it isn't you will still be able to get most of your bombers back, especially with battleships hanging around the turnaround point.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”