Discussion about the latest patch

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Rkiver, frenchfrog, JamesL

frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Unused feature.

Next time post in a new thread?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Oneyedane
level0

Can't install patch

Postby Oneyedane » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:04 pm

When I try to install the latest patch, it won't let me press the install button, it stays greyed out.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 am

Assuming you're trying to patch the correct directory, you probably have the Hacker Elite or Steam version? The Hacker Elite version isn't supported by Introversion for various reasons, while the Steam version auto-patches through the Steam client.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Ebola
level3
level3

Postby Ebola » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:47 am

And the damned IRC client is still in it, woe.
DraikX21
level0

Linux 1.54 Patch

Postby DraikX21 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:21 am

I purchased the CD. It is version 1.31, IIRC. When I applied the patch, it only went for about a game day (or possibly just a few game hours) when I got a message stating that I do not have a legal copy of the game. I got this resolved by downloading it directly from my order status section. Anyone else having this issue?
Fallen Matrix
level0

Can this patch be applied to an install tht used Strategy F?

Postby Fallen Matrix » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 am

Will this patch work on an installation made using the original Strategy First CD release?

About an hour or so into the game, I start getting server log in problems, the password cracker doesn't produce any results on several servers. And when I try the known user/pw combos, it tells me invalid name/code...

Could this issue be due to the patch?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am

No, the patches do not work with that illegal version of the game.

You want a game without issues, buy it from Introversion.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Fallen Matrix
level0

Postby Fallen Matrix » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:00 am

I would actually prefer to hear from a COMPANY REPRESENTATIVE and not forum regulars with extensive 'gaga' for the game.

So what you're telling me is that the game that came in a jewel case, with manual (and also containing DIRECT LINKS to this site) from a respectable and well known company as Strategy First is ILLEGAL?

Look, I truly and honestly don't give a rats behind what peeves you folks have with Strategy First, and I certainly do not plan on purchasing the game twice.

Would someone FROM INTROVERSION SOFTWARE concretely and certifiably state that the patches produce documented and provable errors within the game? Or is this just a method of getting people to throw away what turned out to be the product of a soured-up agreement?

By the way, the CD Disc presents printed clearly on it:

INTROVERSION SOFTWARE
and a circumferences line of text that reads:

©2003 Strategy first Inc. All rights reserved. Uplink: Hacker Elite is a trademark of INTROVERSION SOFTWARE. All rights reserved....

So basically I could CARE LESS what happened between both companies with their contract or agreement. Or if there ever was an agreement per se. I just want to know that the product I purchased LEGALLY (have the receipt from Best Buy) will work with the current patches. Or if current support for the game doesn't contemplate the aforementioned edition.

Thank You //
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Congratulations on just making yourself look like a fool. While I am not an official representative it doesn't make what I said any less accurate.

The Strategy First version is not supported. You can find more at Who's selling Hacker Elite? IV takes legal action... topic in the general forum on why. Strategy First may be "respectable" but around here they are not seen as such because of the way they treated Introversion.

The Strategy First version is different in a number of ways, and as such the patches made by Introversion do not work with them.

Now you can choose to ignore what I've said if you want, up to you, but frenchfrog, who is the member of the forums who makes the patches, will tell you essentially the same.
Fallen Matrix
level0

Postby Fallen Matrix » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Rkiver wrote:Congratulations on just making yourself look like a fool.

How I look to YOU truly and honestly doesn't phase me, but thank you for absolutely ignoring my request that someone FROM THE COMPANY and not some gaga-forum junkie reply to my inquiry.

What does bother me is being told that my copy is illegal.

I am sorry but I don't have the time to spend logged into this forum 24/7 and getting the inside scoop on who likes whom or which company has a peeve against another... NOR do I care.

I'll just do the following. I'll play the pached Strategy First copy until I get an error message. At which time I will simply download a copy from one of the numerous file sharing communities. I feel entitled to do so since I did purchase my copy in the first place and feel entitled to support from Introversion, being that their copyright notice is on the disc. Downloading said copy would in essence be acquiring a software backup.

Introversion should morally support any game version if their name is on published and authorized versions of theirs and not make the public pay for their troubles with Strategy First.

Perhaps a solution would be sending in my CD and getting it exchanged for one that IS up to date.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:36 pm

I never said you had to spend your time logged in 24/7, and I even provided a link that explains the situation. If you choose to not read it is up to you. Introversion to date have not replaced CDs bought by from Strategy First, and I don't see them doing so anytime in the near future. They have no moral obligation at all, as morals are rather personal and they don't have to agree with you, and they don't from what we've seen on here over the past few years. If you decide to get it from a file sharing site, once again up to you.

And you can make requests all you want, on a public forum you post something anyone can respond. The fact is that it's very unlikely anyone bar frenchfrog will reply on behalf of Introversion, and as such I was merely trying to save you time waiting.

So far all you've done however is attack a member of the community who was pointing out information to you. Calling me a gaga-forum junkie doesn't make a bit of difference, I have knowledge you don't, I was happy to share it with you, you decided to go and break some very basic rules when you are new to a community. That is not likely to garner you any further assistance at all.
Fallen Matrix
level0

Postby Fallen Matrix » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:36 pm

ME, ATTACK? That's rich.

Ok, so now, now according to you... only did I buy ILLEGAL SOFTWARE but am breaking some unspoken forum rule? Pray tell, and just who in the hell do you think you are anyway? Just because you have hundreds of thousands of posts that doesn't give you the right to speak down to me nor treat me like a child. You don't know me, and you don't WANT to know me so back the heck off.

I'm not here to make friends.

I don't appreciate the accusation that I have in some form or another purchased pirated software. Perhaps YOU should be the one to pick your words and start by being POLITE (since you've taken it upon yourself to REPRESENT everyone else on this forum) instead of trying to mark your territory by attempting to make me succumb to your nonexistent authority over how and what to say on what isn't your forum to begin with.

Simply stick your opinion, your point of view, your pompous ass and territorial pissing in a box and mail it to yourself.

No need to reply, I've dispensed much more time than you deserve as is.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:45 pm

I have been nothing but polite, bar saying you've made a fool of yourself for your demands.

The version of Uplink that Strategy First are selling is technically illegal in the sense they are giving none of the royalties they should to Introversion. That is explained in the topic I linked you to previously.

As someone who has been around a good while on the Introversion forums, and had the great fortune to meet and talk with Introversion in person multiple times, I have learnt a few things, and when you put up your post I responded with the knowledge I have.

You being here to make friends or not is immaterial, all you have posted is demand after demand after demand and refused to even consider the information you have been given. As for how to behave on a forum, common courtesy isn't something you want to do, that's fair enough. But you catch more flies with honey then vinager.

All you have done at this point is make a large fool out of yourself, and I sincerely doubt you will get any response from the admins, bar perhaps to be told to leave.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Hello Fallen Matrix,

Who is Rkiver? He is the "Dark Horse" of Introversion.

On to more pressing business. If you have read the topic linked, then you'd notice that Introversion has stopped support for the versions of Uplink sold by Strategy First.

Since you have indicated that you still have the receipt for the game at Best Buy, I would consider returning the game to them (after all, you have consumer rights), and getting a refund. You are then free to purchase a fully supported version from Introversion themselves at the Introversion Store.

Thanks,

NeoThermic
Kaustic
level0

Unable to Patch

Postby Kaustic » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Someone else mentioned this problem earlier but I didn't see anyone answer him with a solution except to tell him he needed the english version... well, I HAVE the english version, and I'm getting the same thing. I download the patch and try to run it but the install button is grayed out. Changing the pathname to the correct location doesn't change it... it won't allow me to click install. What's the problem?
Run while you can.

Return to “Latest Patch”