Mac OS X Panther (10.3)

Discussions on the Mac release

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Redbaron
level3
level3

Postby Redbaron » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:01 am

So Panther eh?  What do we think?  

Personally I like Expose a lot, very handy but you need a decent size monitor and an adequate graphics card.  I like the fast user switching and the shifting cube when it does it is very stylish.  On the server side the Print server works, which is more than could be said for its predecessor.

The whole OS loads and shuts far quicker and journaling makes most of the fsck cmd and Norton speed disk irrelevant.

One thing to you Mac people out there -Don't run Norton Systemworks on OS 10.3 it will cock it up, use Disk Warrior which rocks and won't stuff you up.
Remember whether it's driving or politics always keep to the Left
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:18 am

At the moment, I like 10.2.8 better, due to the bugs I've been getting on my G5. I'm sure that when they have an update, I'll be using 10.3 more often.

Of course, Apple just released a recall on certain iBooks that are likely to have a defective logic board, so I guess it might not be just the system...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:56 am

I know many people who lost new iBooks to that issue, thankfully Apple has decided to own up to it, too late for many but. . .  :)
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:09 am

Heh, it's a good thing that I keep all of my machines, I guess. I even have an Apple II, but that thing has been transformed into a fish tank :)
Redbaron
level3
level3

Postby Redbaron » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:05 am

Ah now the G5s yes there are a couple of funny ones on them.  Suspicion of the 10.2.7 DVD installer being faulty and leading to a load of network problems.  There are quite a number of networking issues on 10.3 but mainly when connecting to older PCs.

Apple II eh, that's going back a bit, I thought that wwas just a logic board as such tho'.  I do have a couple of all-in-ones, my old SE and an SE30 I got for my last birthday.  I've got to clean out some of the old Mac stuff I've gt in the attic.  I like OSX so apart from my 6500 (TV) and G3/333 (Jukebox) it's time for the rest non-OSX to go.
Remember whether it's driving or politics always keep to the Left

Return to “Mac Uplink”