book 2

Have a chat about out new freebee

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

jthm
level0

Postby jthm » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:52 pm

i have used the search button SEVERAL times, so dont bother me on that subject, but i dont seem to understand the explantions ppl r givin out. which file is the one that is unencrypted? i have done the redshirt, but i cant seem to get otp 2 work. i know that either *********.dat or *********.mp3 is the key, but which?!?!?!?!?
JOHNEN RULEZ!!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:43 pm

nice nick reference there.

It's an mp3 that you are looking for.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Shenlon
level0

Postby Shenlon » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:39 pm

I'm in the same boat as jthm.  I've searched the forums, looked for clues and hints, and the only thing I've figured out is about the *****.mp3 file and that it has something to do with OTP encryption.  Could someone please give a simple, straight answer about what to do, or at least where to start, for all the stupid morons out there like me who don't know what in the heck they're doing?

By the way, I'm using a Mac, though I don't think that makes much difference...
"It's like...  being stoned...  without using any drugs..." - Anonymous
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:34 pm

Well the gamebible 2 is avalible for download on Ambrosia's site (Uplink Extras or something like that).  If you just want the challenge of doing it yourself read below (highlight the text as this is a spoiler):

OTP (One Time Pad) encryption XORs the first bit of the target file with the first bit of the key to produce a encrypted bit, then it does the second, and third, . . .  Check the web for a full definition of XORing if you need to.  The only way to recover the file is to do the process again, so the encrypted bit is XORed with the key bit.  So basically the world.mp3 is key and the jpgs are the encrypted files.  :)

(Edited by Stewsburntmonkey at 9:34 pm on Sep. 8, 2003)
Shenlon
level0

Postby Shenlon » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:58 am

Originally posted by Stewsburntmonkey:
Well the gamebible 2 is avalible for download on Ambrosia's site (Uplink Extras or something like that).

That's true...  but book 2 is still encrypted.  Thanks for the help.  Looks like I need to read up a bit...
"It's like...  being stoned...  without using any drugs..." - Anonymous
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:11 am

So it is, for some reason I had thought it wasn't.  Heh.  :)
CR45H_uplink
level1
level1

Postby CR45H_uplink » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:16 pm

I have made a program that can decrypt the whole of book2, You can send me and E-mail if you want it.
xplode
level0

Postby xplode » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:58 pm

I decrypt the the *****.mp3 , and i don't know how to continiue, i have Hex Workshop 4.0, have the Uplink and Bonus CD's ... what must i do , and what must i do with the Readme.txt  file. I am not a programmer , i don-t know how to decrypt with the HEX editor, also I have OTP v 0.9.4, when I use otp /d *****.mp3 RIMG00**.jpg it outputs a zero lenght file. wwhere i misstake an what can i do ?
Xp10d3
xplode
level0

Postby xplode » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:00 pm

sorry for my bad english and the grammar mistakes :)
Xp10d3
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:26 pm

Highlight to view (spoiler):

The problem is that each jpeg uses the same file for its key, but at different places (offsets).  what you have to do is find where these offsets are and then XOR the jpeg with the appropiate section of the file.  The way to do this is to look for the segment of the mp3 that will produce a valid jpeg header (the code at the begining of the jpeg that labels it as a jpeg).  This is a non trivial process though, and may or may not be how you want to spend you time.  I have seen no easier way to decode the book as of yet.  :)
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:38 pm

I really like the way you use the background color for security. :)
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:06 pm

Its the best way to post spoilers with out a chance of people viewing it who don't want to.  I have noticed you seem to be posting real post now, how wonderful.  :)
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:17 am

Do I need to Redshirt in order to get *****.mp3? Redshirting doesn't seem to work on my mac :(
ShadowWolf
level1
level1

Postby ShadowWolf » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:13 am

OK, I understand which file is the key, and I found the unencoded page on the CD.  I  am unsure how to procede from here, my idea was to look at the unencrypted page and then look at the encoded pages and try to find the corresponding file.  Then from there I search through the key file, and find the right header and XOR the data from the start of the header to the next header with the encoded page, but I can't find the right header.  I think that I must be missing something, or I'm looking for the wrong thing.  

Another quick question:  I've read a lot of posts about the "readme.txt"  I know it's encrypted, but how do I decrypt it?
The best anyone can do is exist, anything less is Death.
Katana Steel
level2
level2

Postby Katana Steel » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:15 am

to your last question ShadowWolf. The same way you decrypt the pictures using XOR.
If you under stand a bit of C++ programming here is the code for some of the programs I used to decrypt Book2 of the Gamebible and the readme.txt that goes with it.
-- as life grows older, I gain experience

Return to “The Bonus Disk”