Question on changing mission settings.

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Azurestrike
level0

Question on changing mission settings.

Postby Azurestrike » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm not sure if this goes into this thread or not, but it seems like the right idea.

I feel like I've taken the fun out of the game after stealing millions from a bank account just cause I got the account number from the bank trace mission.

Is there a way to reduce the ridiculous amount to a lower amount that still feels large but wouldn't fund a hacker for every software and the best gateway with the best hardware and still have money to spare? Like maybe 10k or so instead of 1+ million.

I get the feeling this was fixed sometime later but I don't actually know a place to go for it.

I also happen to be playing using the steam version of Uplink.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Why not just give the money back? i.e. transfer it back to the original (or some other) account?
Azurestrike
level0

Postby Azurestrike » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Because I 'want' to hack those bank accounts later, but I can't just willingly bring myself to take only a portion of the money.

The instant you can get a single bank trace for such an amount of money, you can say goodbye to the gradual upgrading and getting better in the game since you don't have to do much to just nab that million or more from that account you just traced.

It's really about my self control as well. I want to make it rewarding to take that money, but not 'game breaking', or more like flow breaking to do so.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 am

self control is not a software problem, purely a wetware problem
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Seriously?

I... I... I just don't know what to say. It sounds like there is an error between the chair and keyboard.
Azurestrike
level0

Postby Azurestrike » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:15 pm

After you've criticised my self control and stubborness about the game itself, I'd appreciate if you'd answer the simple question I brought up.

Question being, can I edit the properties(in this case, the value of the amount transfered in the bank trace) of a mission? And if I can, how would I go about doing so?

I'd rather not get into the argument of the game design choices when deciding on the value of this bank trace when that question being answered is all I wanted.

I can understand the skepticism of wanting to change such a marvel that allows you to purchase everything in the entire game itself more than five times over, certainly a mini-mod such as this makes no sense in a forum about mods.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:42 pm

I believe you can't change that without access to the source code. You can however alter the cost of gateways. Guides for that can be found at http://www.modlink.net
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Eedis
level1
level1

Postby Eedis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Why not just hack the accounts with less money in it.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Eedis wrote:Why not just hack the accounts with less money in it.

We already suggested that. He doesn't have enough self control for that to be a viable option.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”