Modding and what patches are good for it

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

NeoBlade115
level0

Modding and what patches are good for it

Postby NeoBlade115 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:04 pm

The title says it all, but does anyone what patch versions mods like gateways and skins will work with?
Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world, and the real world?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Gateways and skins aren't mods per say, and work with any version from 1.1 onwards.

Full on mods made with the DevCD, such as the FBI mod, they were only really made to work with 1.3 or 1.31, they haven't been updated to run with any of the new ones.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Then could either the fine gentleman or one of you fine gentlemen update it?
I know you are all pretty much jaded by now. I would update it if I could but I am still learning to code.
DinoSteve
level3
level3

Postby DinoSteve » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:11 pm

HaloNothing wrote:Then could either the fine gentleman or one of you fine gentlemen update it?
I know you are all pretty much jaded by now. I would update it if I could but I am still learning to code.

It's not that simple. In order to update a mod someone needs to care enough to want to, be a DevCD owner, and have access to the source code of the mod. Finding someone who cares may be easy enough but finding someone who also has the DevCD is not. True there are a one or two but, due to the age of most mods and Uplink, chances are that the source code for most mods has been lost or simply never released. Your best bet is to personally contact the creator of each mod, however, as you're probably aware some have moved on and can no longer be reached.
FourMoreErrors
level1
level1

Postby FourMoreErrors » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:04 pm

HaloNothing wrote:Then could either the fine gentleman or one of you fine gentlemen update it?

DinoSteve is not wrong, most of the mod owners have failed to make a mod. As they abandoned it.

You would make success if you made on yourself.
"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Jordan Peters

"Don't think outside the box...Think like there is no box."
- Unknown
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Why are you grave digging?
axx
level0

Postby axx » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:37 am

grave digging, eh?

what has died? uplink? what killed it? is there a monster hacking simulation game out? with 3d graphic, right? a mmorpg? editable quest? peer2peer engine?

that'd put uplink down, wouldn't it?

till then, this is the best.

so, i think, yes, its mod shoud be updated somehow. and i am looking for a way to do it.
actually i am looking for source codes like DinoSteve told us. and i'd like to do the fbi mod first.

it is more managabe than starting the development of a game like i was writting about.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Let me just open by saying that (and, of course, no offense is intended) you are a moron.

That being said, grave digging refers specifically to the act of replying to topics which have been inactive for long periods of time, particularly when done (a) without acknowledging that one is bumping a long dead topic and (2) without adding anything new or useful to the topic. In fact, your post would be a very good example of grave digging. Your post contains no useful content, and was made more than a year after the last post.

On webboards in general, and on these fora in particular, grave digging is generally seen as major breach of etiquette, akin to posting unsolicited advertisements for h3b4l v14gr4 or golf clubs. In other words, don't reply to old topics unless you have something meaningful to contribute (which you clearly do not).

Now go away, kid. You're bothering me.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”