has anyone tried?

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Konvict
level0

has anyone tried?

Postby Konvict » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:53 am

Hey i love playing uplink i used to play it when i was back in school and looking though my Data Cds the other day i found the game again and been playing it again, i love all the moderation work that has been done by players and i only notised last night that u can now buy the DEVcd.

i have searched the forums looking for what i want to ask, Has anyone Tried to remove the Game over screen and replace that with something? so that u can continue playing for Example:

u get caught and instead of just game over u lose your gate way, uplink disown you, everything u own in an uplink bank account u lose, leaving you with nothing,

but my suggestion is if u replace the game over screen with about a month passing in the game and a new company where you as the hacker can accept missions like you could from uplink,

do u know if this is possible if so i want to give it a try

if people could let us know would be good thank you
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:24 am

the fact that you are asking this question shows that you dont have enough skill, go and learn a LOT about programming, then try it, until then, just enjoy a slightly more realistic game ending.

although i do like the idea, im not sure if the idea is strong enough to warrent the time needed to programme it.
Konvict
level0

Postby Konvict » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:25 am

ok thanks ill start to learn to program and give it a go
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:27 am

word of advice DONT start with c++, try one of the basics, or perl, but what ever you do dont jump straight into it, it is one of the hardest languages there is
Konvict
level0

Postby Konvict » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:29 am

ok then thanks once i get the hang of basic programming im gonna start and see what i come up with and i can then post on here to let everyone know
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 pm

After losing the game, Uplink doesn't save everything that's happened. I know this because my backup saves are often a bagillion times as big as my Game Over saves. Pulling a rabbit out of your hat is much easier than trying to retrieve non-existent data. Just make back up save files. Every time you do something incredibly risky, like hack someone's LAN while taking your sweet time.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:37 pm

did you read the posts, the last one was 2 months ago, and at what part did he say he wanted to save data, he said he wanted to continue, theoretically all he has to do is stop the end screen from running the rest should work
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Forums need to highlight topics in red when they're older than a month... Honestly...

This was like the 4th topic on the list and it's 4 times older than the one above it...

All I know is before and after, when if comes to what happens to the save file. If he can find what triggers the shrink, he's golden. However, that seems REALLY broken. Like a permanent get-out-of-jail-free card or get-out-of-internet-apocalypse card that you can use whenever you fail.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”