Testers Wanted

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:24 pm

CyberGenesis wrote:"This program failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

If I remember correctly this error message is given if a program is missing some .dll to run (or if the .dll are from a bad version).

Try depends on the .exe and you should see missing dependencies.

--------------

Stormchild, are you compiling with SP1 of Visual Studio 2005? I'm asking because here I do compile with SP1 and I do remember encountering similar problems when I switched to SP1, some internal Visual Studio 2005 libraries changed.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:22 am

thank you...yes apparently i'm missing 3 dll's

the dll's in question are apparently part of the 2k5 MS VC++, i have an older version(pre- .net)...explains why i cant find the files ^^

Edit: Reinstalled the latest .net framework from microsoft...no help

Looking for the following files (if someone could link me):

msvcp80d.dll
msvcr80d.dll
Sabertooth
level1
level1

Postby Sabertooth » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:26 pm

wait, Storm, are you compiling testmod in debug instead of release?
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 pm

Apparently so, but switching to release didn't solve the issue (which I have managed to replicate on my laptop \o/) Fortunately, I seem to have found a solution, though I don't fully understand why exactly the compiler is doing what causes the problem.

I have uploaded a new file, which works as far as I am able to test it locally. I would appreciate it if you could test it for me.

http://www.iridiaprime.co.uk/uplink/testmod.zip

----

Frenchfrog: Switching to SP1 didnt make any appreciable difference when testing it on the only machine that failed to run it, it just altered the error message somewhat. The issue seems to lie in the manifest file it generated, which was trying to include two different versions of the dlls, and removing one entry seems to have removed the problem.
= Registered Uplink Agent =
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:59 pm

I was wondering why every forum post I found regarding the 2 dll's I was missing all referred to debug modes. I'll dl the new file when I get home from class and test it
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Stormchild, this is indeed strange.

Have you made any modifications to the project files? Have you tryed a clean Release rebuild after installing SP1?

The cause is perhaps that some .lib compiled in debug get linked in the final .exe (.lib from contrib)?
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:15 am

Fresh install of uplink -> Patched to 1.55 - Extracted Testmod into the folder

exe runs fine now, I see the aux gateways link off the Uplink Internal as well as the De/compiler software showing up. I was looking in your images on the site and it shows the router hardware, keymapper, etc. Most of these things i can't find, as well as the other server that sells software.

Also: Is internic SUPPOSED to boot you for hacking it?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the sales servers. Still can't find teh phone_home program or the router
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:41 am

Found a bug!

I had my mouse sitting on the trace tracker for a few seconds and 2 more popped up!

Screenshot follows:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/CyberGenesis/Oops.jpg
Vizzerdrix
level1
level1

Postby Vizzerdrix » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:56 pm

It's not a bug, it's a feature of the recent patch. It allow you to run programs of earlier versions instead of always running the best version. If you have Decrypter version 1, 3 and 7, waiting several second on Decrypter will allow you to select between version 1, 3 and 7 instead of only version 7.

I would like to know why some features (nameserver, darwin, compressor tool, auxiliary gateway, wireless router, servers increasing security system versions) in your mod and in your screenshot gallery are also present in Onlink? Or is it the other way around?
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:04 pm

CyberGenesis wrote:Fresh install of uplink -> Patched to 1.55 - Extracted Testmod into the folder

exe runs fine now, I see the aux gateways link off the Uplink Internal as well as the De/compiler software showing up. I was looking in your images on the site and it shows the router hardware, keymapper, etc. Most of these things i can't find, as well as the other server that sells software.

Also: Is internic SUPPOSED to boot you for hacking it?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the sales servers. Still can't find teh phone_home program or the router

Not ALL of the features off my site are implemented, just the majority. I am going to rebuild testmod from scratch to try and eliminate the earlier issue with regards to dll files, and will make an list of exactly what features are present.

Yes, InterNIC is supposed to boot you, however there are no other consequences. You just need to be a little quicker, or a little more subtle, when hacking it than you used to.

Vizzerdrix wrote:I would like to know why some features (nameserver, darwin, compressor tool, auxiliary gateway, wireless router, servers increasing security system versions) in your mod and in your screenshot gallery are also present in Onlink? Or is it the other way around?

There are two main reasons for this. Firstly there is collaboration. Much of my original code was designed for 1.31, as was Onlink originally. At the time they were developed, modding was more widespread, and it was common practice for modders to share code with each other, leading to mods having similar features. The second is competetive development. It is my opinion that Miah can't code anything more complicated than me, and so if I like a feature he has written I will duplicate it myself. I will leave it up to you to decide who wrote what exactly ;)
= Registered Uplink Agent =
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:09 am

i've just been lazier...Internic isn't the only consequence free server to delete off of

Vizz, the only problem i have with that is i don't OWN any other versions of Trace Tracker...and it's never done that with the stock 1.55 patch.
Vizzerdrix
level1
level1

Postby Vizzerdrix » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:30 am

Stormchild wrote:There are two main reasons for this. Firstly there is collaboration. Much of my original code was designed for 1.31, as was Onlink originally. At the time they were developed, modding was more widespread, and it was common practice for modders to share code with each other, leading to mods having similar features. The second is competetive development. It is my opinion that Miah can't code anything more complicated than me, and so if I like a feature he has written I will duplicate it myself. I will leave it up to you to decide who wrote what exactly ;)

Hehe, well I hope the guys at Onlink will share your competivity. The features in your mod are good ideas I'd like to see implemented or having an equivalent in Onlink.
orion1394
level0

umm hope this is the right place -_-''

Postby orion1394 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:51 pm

is it possible to tweak the password cracker so u can move it round the screen????

i find it annoying that when u open it while u connect to a goverment database that it covers the ok button.

i know i sound a bit picky but it would be better especially when u want multiple crakers up when ur hacking back accounts saves a couple of seconds.

if i'm in wrong place then hit me...
(log deleted)--- Sorry.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:16 am

Honestly, I would agree with you that it would be nice to move. I believe its the only thing you CANT move. However once you have teh monitor bypass, it doesn't matter. There is no active trace, and i don't think the passive trace starts until you disconnect.
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:19 am

the new software seems to over write others, is that supposed to happen
and not all the software shows up.

looks like the mod has great potential...

any thoughts on this or is it still buggy?

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”