Redshrt2 and Steam

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

elitemerlin
level0

Redshrt2 and Steam

Postby elitemerlin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:59 am

Hey guys im running into a bit of a problem (i think)

Ok so i open up redshrt2.exe via cmd.exe , (redshrt2.exe is located in my e:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/uplink/users/ DIR, fyi)

i type in

redshrt2 -d MERLiN.usr MERLiN.hex

everything goes good (i think) and says this.

Redshrt2 command line utility
Decrypting file: MERLiN.usr....done

Now heres the problem. When i look inside my
e:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/uplink/users/ DIR i dont see a new file created with the extension .hex - it seems nothing has been created at all.

Picture of this below.

So this is where im confused at, because w/o a *.hex file being created i have nothing to load into a hex editor to change values etc... Anyone ever ran into this before? Maybe know a fix? Or see something i've done wrong?

Thanks to all the replys in advanced - MERLiN
elitemerlin
level0

Postby elitemerlin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:08 am

KingAl wrote:Eh? Hex editors don't need files with *.hex extensions, and even if they did you could just change the file extension of the output, no?
Unless you're just trying to say that redshirt 2 didn't decrypt it.

I understand hex editors dont need files w/ a *.hex ext. And im aware i could just change the .usr ext to .hex if i wanted to.

And im not sure if im saying redshrt2 didnt decrypt it or not, thats my problem, Whenever redshrt2 decrypts a file is it supposed to create a new file named *.hex? or does it decrypt the file and doesnt change the .usr ext and thus making a need for a manual re-name of the ext? That is my question.

Could you help me out?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:08 am

Perhaps the redshirt2 decryption program only likes to output files with a *.usr extension? Also, have you tried searching your computer for said *.hex file? Perhaps it outputs the file to the C drive if you don't include an address in the output parameter?

EDIT: Yeah, I misread the post at first, hence my first - irrelevant, and now deleted - reply.

EDIT 2: Does it actually take an output parameter? Have you checked that it hasn't just decrypted the original *.usr file?
elitemerlin
level0

Postby elitemerlin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:17 am

Yes, I have ran a search on all my HD's for *.hex and nothing came up at all.

Is there a way to specify a output DIR param in the syntax of redshrt2? If so do you know this param?

If you want to better know what im trying to do here, there is a guide im trying to follow located here.

Code: Select all

How  to  get  a 10 digit credit sum in your bank account. This is
what you need:

- A   program   called   "redshirt2"
- A hex editor of your choice.
- Put the  redshirt2.exe  file  to  your  'users'  directory
- install  Hex Editor
- Now go to the DIR in CMD and run this command

redshrt2 -d (your username in the game).usr (your username in the
game).hex

- Now start Hex Editor and open your *.hex

EDIT 1:
EDIT 2: Does it actually take an output parameter? Have you checked that it hasn't just decrypted the original *.usr file?

How would i go about checking that?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Out of curiosity, could you give the link where you got that _cheat_ from. It most have been updated not long ago since it talks about redshirt2 .

If I remember correctly redshrt2 do the decryption in place.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:51 pm

elitemerlin wrote:EDIT 1:

How would i go about checking that?

frenchfrog has suggested that it does the decryption 'in place' - i.e. it alters the original file, rather than writing to a new one. This is essentially what I meant by that question. After you've used redshirt 2 on it, try opening the original file in your hex editor.
madsniper
level1
level1

Postby madsniper » Tue May 01, 2007 3:33 am

Sorry for drudging this topic up, but, where can you get redshrt2? I have redshirt2 which is used for darwinia. When you do a plain conversion to a .hex, you do not get anything significant, pretty much just something that says redshrt2 (random letters, numbers, and ...'s) I've tried a million and six different ways to decrypt my usr file but it hasn't worked. Any news on this subject?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue May 01, 2007 9:36 am

This thread is one of five that come up if you search these forums for redshrt2. The second-to-last post by frenchfrog contains a redshrt2.exe, which I'm guessing will work. :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
madsniper
level1
level1

Postby madsniper » Wed May 02, 2007 3:47 am

frenchfrog's redshrt2.exe did technically decode the .usr file as far as I can tell because it opened in Hex Workshop, but I could not determine what was the money hex code.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed May 02, 2007 5:53 am

You can open any file in a hex editor, so the fact that it opens proves nothing. Regardless, you'll want to be searching for the amount of money that you have in your account in the file.
madsniper
level1
level1

Postby madsniper » Thu May 03, 2007 5:19 am

I did. I converted 12860 into hex, and that hex showed up twice, changed them both, re-encrypted it, and nothing happened. I'm not sure what to do :|
alextarbox
level0

Postby alextarbox » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:40 pm

redshrt2.exe doesn't create a .hex file as redshirt.exe did...it decrypts the .usr file directly and you open the .usr file itself...as for finding the proper hex for money, well i haven't figured that one out myself yet but im still looking...ive checked most .usr, .dll and .dat files thus far
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 am

over 3 years, nice
martyfracker
level0

Postby martyfracker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:28 am

Necro. I could care less. Just use cheat engine. You do not need to encrypt or decrypt any files. You can change any value in the game while it is running..
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Additionally, as a point of information, the phrase is "I couldn't care less." To say "I could care less," implies that you do care some amount. If the scale of caring goes from zero to ten, then when you say that you could care less, you imply that you care some amount greater than zero, up to and including ten. We don't know how much you actually care, but you do care. When you say that you couldn't care less, you care so little that your caring would be a zero on the scale, i.e. it is impossible for you to actually care any less. Learn to get it right.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”