Simply uplink

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

fallout
level0

Postby fallout » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:33 am

Just got simply uplink, and I gotta say, it's awesome. I've been reading over this thread, and agito, you clearly are the coolest person I've seen on the 'net.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems in Simply Uplink that I didn't have in the original. I do have a couple of ideas...

1) I really like the idea that was floated earlier about an actual virus creating thing. I like the idea of being able to code my own stuff.

2) Possibly do DB searches based on available processor speed.

Just my 2 cents. Anyway, you seem so cool, and this mod is just increadible...
daniel984
level1
level1

Postby daniel984 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:21 pm

Hi Agito!!!

I was just wondering, when do you come with this new update?

I read through every reply on this thread or whatever its called, and cant look forward enough to test out the new simply uplink... :)

Its so many good ideas and so original (not that uplink itself wasnt original enough), long since the last update on ur site here so Im so excited, that i have to ask you...

Thnx for contributing so well!!!!
|| XFX 7900GT@525/1450
|| AMD 3500+ || 2x1GB TwinMOS || BenQ FP937s+ ||
|| Lian Li PC V1100 ||
Compgeek79
level1
level1

hey, agito

Postby Compgeek79 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:25 am

this is kinda related to simply uplink, i guess

Agito:why don't you add a link the the simplyuplink website to your sig, so it's easier to find
Remember that whatever you do in life, there is always someone who can kick your ass.

Awesome Browser-Based MMORPG

Simply Uplink
Agito
level1
level1

Postby Agito » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:14 am

Fear not

Update coming soon

E.T.A Tuesday night

Also special announcement around that time

Agito out

P.S: Neo: You're stock market idea's pretty good. I'll see what I can do.

Edit Make that wednesday or thursday night... sorry :)
Surfpup
level2
level2

Postby Surfpup » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:59 am

hey, i was wondering if you could get the FBI dev mod and ur Simply Uplink mod combined into one mod cuz i really can't play that FBI dev mod without all ur "simple" stuff. Btw your mod is great, i didn't know until now that u were updating it! :)
tekks
level1
level1

Postby tekks » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:36 pm

Yes thats exactly what I was just thinking. SimplyUplink combined in the FBI mod. I'm suprised neott didnt think of that himself hehe

If u would be able to merge them somehow it would rock so much! :)
Sabin Stargem
level0

Postby Sabin Stargem » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:38 am

I have some suggestions for the mod.

1: When I run a program in the Console window, it uses the most basic version of the program by default. This is troublesome, for those times when I want to delete logs and the like. As of now, I have not actually tried the mod yet. However, the option of using the latest version of a program should be available.

2: The creation of a new program: Console Commander, that allows you to do more actions in the Console Window.(Last version gives access to the Rec section?)

3: If a merger occurs with the FBI Mod, there should definately be a VDpin breaker. I can handle the other problems of hacking just fine, but I am left quite irritated by this security feature. Usually, I just have to give up, due to a lack of time. With only 60 seconds to work with, how am I supposed to crack it with mental muscle?

However, if a VDpin Cracker is included, there should be multiple levels that boost the "speed" and "intelligence" of the VDpin Cracker.

3: In the FBI Mod, I noticed that when I hold my cursor over the Code Breaker 1.0, a second menu branches out - with two more Code Breaker 1.0s. Should be corrected.

4: There should be an option of creating a back-up computer. More specifically, you can create a back-up computer in one of the other locations that are offered to you in the beginning of the game.

5: If you can include a customizable MP3 player, that would be nice.(Noticed a mod that did that, but you probably can't mix it with other mods...)
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Re: ...

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:12 pm

Sabin Stargem wrote:I have some suggestions for the mod.

1: When I run a program in the Console window, it uses the most basic version of the program by default. This is troublesome, for those times when I want to delete logs and the like. As of now, I have not actually tried the mod yet. However, the option of using the latest version of a program should be available.

Yes, I have also noticed that. Good suggestion. :) And a fix for it should be relatively easy: just get the console to respond to commands like:

"run logdeleter vX"

where X is the version of the program. Being able to run a higher version LogDeleter from the console is the one thing I would like to see fixed in terms of this particular issue. Of course, getting LogNuke to work from the console as well couldn't hurt...:wink:
That is, if it doesn't already. I've personally never tried it, so maybe it does work from the console.

<<goes back to listening to Always Look on the Bright Side of Life from Life of Brian>> :D
Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.
Uplink Directory Dossier
Sabin Stargem
level0

Postby Sabin Stargem » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:17 pm

Noticed two bugs during gameplay.

1: When using the Console Window, usually Enter won't work, and directorys are not recognized.

Ex.
*Enters the Console*
*Types "cd usr", and presses enter*
*Nothing happens. Clicks on the Post Button.*
*An error appears, claming that the usr directory does not exist.*

2: The e-mail manager needs some fixes for the graphics.

I also think that AutoBounce can use some upgrades. For example, when it is making the bounces to the destination, it is random. This is bad, since for some systems you need a bounce that is related to the target before entering the system. Also, AutoBounce should chose it's targets in chains. For example, if it is passing through Uplink systems, it should pass through them all and then move on to other items. Speaking of which, I have noticed that AutoBounce sometimes does not add one or two points in it's route.

EDIT: Autobounce should also feature NumberBounce, which would remove the trail used on the map, and instead use numbers over each bounce point. Also, there should be a number next to the map that tells you how many bounces a trace has to go through before it gets you.(For the mini-map.)
PiD4x
level1
level1

Re: ...

Postby PiD4x » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:48 am

Sabin Stargem wrote:Noticed two bugs during gameplay.

1: When using the Console Window, usually Enter won't work, and directorys are not recognized.

Ex.
*Enters the Console*

2: The e-mail manager needs some fixes for the graphics.

I also think that AutoBounce can use some upgrades. For example, when it is making the bounces to the destination, it is random. This is bad, since for some systems you need a bounce that is related to the target before entering the system. Also, AutoBounce should chose it's targets in chains. For example, if it is passing through Uplink systems, it should pass through them all and then move on to other items. Speaking of which, I have noticed that AutoBounce sometimes does not add one or two points in it's route.

EDIT: Autobounce should also feature NumberBounce, which would remove the trail used on the map, and instead use numbers over each bounce point. Also, there should be a number next to the map that tells you how many bounces a trace has to go through before it gets you.(For the mini-map.)

The trick i use is to first hide the public access and mainframe from the map - then link to internic, use the auto bouncer for the 15 odd links in the middle - save the route, then go back and show the public access and mainframe again and then link too those two by hand, and it works.

Also i have noticed its not really random, it uses teh same sequence as the main list of IPs you know
Sn0WDr4gon
level0

Postby Sn0WDr4gon » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:02 pm

Agito haven't tried your mod yet, but I must say that I've heard some great ideas here for example:

1) I really like the idea that was floated earlier about an actual virus creating thing. I like the idea of being able to code my own stuff.

greate idea and:

combining FBI Dev mod with simply uplink that would be totally it

:)
Compgeek79
level1
level1

some fixes

Postby Compgeek79 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:41 am

Ex.
*Enters the Console*

wha's happening is that when you press enter the program reads it as a regular keystroke, and displays a character, but since the enter key has no character associated with it the program adds a space, so instead of having "cd usr" the program reads it as"cd usr ", if you haven't read already the enter key doesn't work yet, you have to click the "post/search/submit/whatever" button, if you accidentally hit enter just hit backspace once and then click post

Agito, for the autobounce if people want it to go through internic first, why not have autobounce go through the list backwards (i.e. bottom to top instead of top to bottom) this will connect to the older adresses first (internic) then move on to the rest

if you could add a feature to reorder your address list so you could arrange an autobounce path, if you're connecting to a main frame for instance you could arrange the list to

Company X Central mainframe
Company X Internal services
<...everything else...>
internic

then if the autobounce runs from bottom to top, the bounce path will be ready to go
Last edited by Compgeek79 on Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember that whatever you do in life, there is always someone who can kick your ass.

Simply Uplink
Viserys
level1
level1

Postby Viserys » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:20 pm

Bah. Everything sounds so awesome! And yet, I have the mac version, which doesn't like .exe. Is there any hope for me at all? -sniff-

P.S: A virus writer, or anything writer would be completely awesome.

I don't know it this has been addressed, but...

When using IP lookup, it will say 'Enter IP Here'. I do so. Now, if I messed up typing, it will say 'IP Not Found'. I will then have to wait for that text to clear away and the 'Enter IP...' text to retype itself. Otherwise, while I delete the 'IP Not Found' text, 'Enter IP Here' will start typing before I finish typing my IP.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but my request is if you can make it so that 'IP Not Found' doesn't retype itself every time you press GO on the lookup, and the ip lookup box was given a 'clear' button that empties is. =(

edit: It'd be really cool if you could force a company out of business. Like if you crashed their LAN, mainframe, and ISS all within one day or something. Or if you could steal critical data, then crash them, and they would email you asking if you could sell it back to them. Not that they have any proof it was you, or anything, it's just that you're the only one skilled enough ^_-

blackmail like that is always fun to play with. Starting your own corporation could be awesome too, or being able to crash the stock market. Maybe you could make it so that you could free your fellow hackers in jail by hacking the part of the prison they were in?
Of course you'd need to make it so they weren't recaptured by hacking the Social Security Database and giving them new names, as well as clearing their criminal records just in case. :wink:

Most of the first paragraph came because since I was bored, I slaughtered Hummingbird Corp(deleted everything except Revelation, then ran it on LAN, ISS, and Mainframe) or something like that, but the news acted like "Oh my, they lost a computer! How dreadful!" failing to mention that it was their last hope of having any backed up files, or saying that now all their systems are offline. The next month their stock only dropped by FOUR percent. I was pretty annoyed.

btw, that hacking prison thing could involve minigames, like disabling security cameras, or feeding them loops, turning off electrical fences, killing off guards by turning the security droids on them, all sorts of neat things. Hell, if you implemented something like that, I'd buy the game for Windows just so I could use the mod. :D
Compgeek79
level1
level1

FBI

Postby Compgeek79 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:01 pm

Alot of the stuff about prisons, releasing other hackers, and such is already in the FBI mod

i agree totally with what you said about IP Lookup, you need some way to clear it faster so it's more convenient

Simply Uplink
TheSCConspiracy
level2
level2

Postby TheSCConspiracy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:15 pm

Simply Uplink is the greatest, and combining the FBI mod would be ace. But if that should occur you shoud definatly put a VDPIN cracker.
A programme of a million lines begins with one [

This the sig version of Revelation, put me in your sig and help me destroy the internet.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”