Mixing Bigger Mods, Compilation Effort?

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Rannsaich
level1
level1

Postby Rannsaich » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:38 am

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what mod's will work mixed together, and which are definate no-no's for mixing?

I've been able to get a few small mods and skins mixed together with one bigger mod to make an interesting setup/game, but I've not attempted to mix to Large mods which tend to change or have new storyline elements. As I see it this is a recipe for creating and unstable Uplink mod which doesn't really work one way or the other.

But still, knowing the nature of I'm guessing I'm not the first guy to consider this. Has anyone tried mixing "the mod" with "FBI mod" or anything like that?

Anyone willing to wager a guess if it's possible to merge the two together seperately or would this definately require the two mod's be made into one, or be designed to work around each other (ie: only one modified the exe, the others can mix certain data etc) Anyone?

Just tossing out ideas here, but are any of the current dev groups thinking about a compilation effort of different mods which are coming out, and putting them together into one large and multi-faceted mod? Are any of the dev's interesting in sharing/consolidating source derivatives in such hopes?

I'm not really sure this would be possible without some sort of derivative scheme and communication between all parties involved, but can't hurt to ask/suggest a new idea and I don't believe I've seen this idea presented in my scanning of the forums.

I expect I may get flamed for this one. =)

ciao,
Rann
Moderation is the key to all things.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:06 am

We have discussed setting up a CVS for Uplink, which would allow MODs to be mixed.  Although storyline or other major changes could not be incorperated.  Also I would like to get a more stable and less buggy original from which to work before I set up a CVS myself.  But people are thinking about it.  :)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:55 pm

Actually we are going to be combining our mods, such as the mp3, the vdpin, the InterNIC DNS, the cmd, the fbi et all. We just have to make sure that all mods on their own are stable. Once they are the source codes will be combined and the Ubermod, as we are currently calling it, will be released.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Rannsaich
level1
level1

Postby Rannsaich » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:00 pm

That sounds very cool indeed, and definately makes sense to develop and stablize the various mods before combining them into an Ubermod.

ciao,
Rann
Moderation is the key to all things.
TheWhiteRabbit
level1
level1

Postby TheWhiteRabbit » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:02 am

what about mods we didnt care for, such as the vpin?
Follow The White Rabbit
http://www.whiterabbitlane.com
hackerboy
level2
level2

Postby hackerboy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:22 am

Does anybody know how far in the future this combination of mods will be completed?
    Friends don't let friends post spam.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:53 am

This post is almost a month old, TWR, don't bump old posts!
netzero
level1
level1

Postby netzero » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:52 am

Why not bump old posts Miah? If he's interested in the subject it's better to bump an old post then to create a whole new one isn't it?
Everything that has a beginning, has an end
Jackmn
level5
level5

Postby Jackmn » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:56 pm

Quote: from netzero on 4:52 am on Nov. 26, 2003[br]Why not bump old posts Miah? If he's interested in the subject it's better to bump an old post then to create a whole new one isn't it?
Because it's forum policy.

A thread dies when interest in it dies.

There is no reason to bump a thread that people are not interested in.

Ergo, there's no reason to bump a dead thread.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:56 am

Quote: from TheWhiteRabbit on 11:02 pm on Nov. 6, 2003[br]what about mods we didnt care for, such as the vpin?

I don't think that you speak for many of us when you say this. It shows how much you don't care about the work that Icepick put in to it, you even can't call it by its real name; VDPIN.

I for one cared about the VDPIN. I would love to see it continue into the Ubermod, wether or not you do or not.

NeoThermic
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:19 pm

Sorry to piss you off, Jackmn, but I have interest here, though I hadn't spotted it before...

How about a decent way to configure the game in the übermod?
Something that will take effect on new users only... i dunno, dump the info in the user file.
I'm thinking along the lines of an ini file that you do before making your new agent
[Config]
UseVDPIN=True
UseCMD=True
UseFBI=False

etc.
That way, if you want the joys of the FBI missions, without the annoyance of the VDPIN; or the CMD and VDPIN without the FBI; you can do it.

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”