Harder Bank Hacking Mod

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Stormchild
level2
level2

Harder Bank Hacking Mod

Postby Stormchild » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm

I have compiled a version of uplink with a version of a bank auditing mod I wrote way back for version 1.31. It has been tweaked a little and made to work with 1.55, and I would like people to test it, and see how easy it is to beat.

The challenge is simple: hack a bank, steal over 100,000 credits, wait approximately seven days, and if you aren't arrested, you probably got away with it.

The auditor runs weekly, so it can be some time before the consequences catch up with you, hence the need to wait seven days before knowing if your hack went undetected.

I can provide more details if you need help figuring out how the auditor is catching you, though it is a relatively simple system at heart. Note also that the traditional means of being caught (active/passive tracing etc) are still in place as well.

There are two downloads, one for steam and one for retail (ie non-steam) copies of uplink, since the program has to be compiled differently for these two versions. If you have issues getting the program to run, let me know which version you are using so I can look into it.

Windows Retail Users

Download: http://www.iridiaprime.co.uk/stormchild ... Retail.zip

Simply unzip Uplink-Audit.exe into your Uplink folder and run it. You can run normal uplink again by running the original Uplink.exe.

Windows Steam Users

Download: http://www.iridiaprime.co.uk/stormchild ... -Steam.zip

Locate your uplink.exe, rename it and copy the new one from the zip file into its place, then run the game as normal through steam.
To uninstall, delete the exe and restore your original copy.
= Registered Uplink Agent =
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 pm

If the basic security measures are in place, how does this one work any different?
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Deleting the transfer log will stop the passive trace. When the audit is run, however, since there is no transfer log, the audit will notice that money has magically appeared in your account.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:45 am

Seems a bit hand wavey to me.
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:41 pm

What do you mean?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Well the passive traces follow a logical path, they follow you back server to server until bang they are gone or you forget to remove them and they find you, just having a mod magically find the cash even with no audit trail is a litle implausable, maybe some kind of anti fraud limit thing could be worked in but as it stands it seems a bit of a cop out
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 pm

It finds it because its in your account balance. If you have 500,000 credits and your statement (ie the audit trail) says you should only have 5000, there is 495,000 credits unaccounted for. Clearly it came from somewhere so the lack of a log is suspicious. There is no way to trace it back to where it originally came from, but it obviously shouldn't be where it is.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:48 pm

The super fast forward doesn't work as it should for me. There's no notable difference between fast forward and faster forward and the normal fast forward only does double time.

I can't answer your challenge. It'll take a literal week, minimum.

I can't even test to see if I can get myself disavowed just by increasing my own loan.

Nonetheless, the answer is to spend it all and transfer the remainder to some other poor sap, deleting statement entries as appropriate.
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:03 pm

If you fast forward at the very beginning of the game, it resets back to the start of the month due to a glitch in the scheduler that takes a couple of real-time minutes to clear through. I do have a way to fix this I just haven't comitted it to code yet. If you re-load the agent, the speed buttons will work again. You will need to advance past the 24th march before any scheduled events begin to run however.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, due to the way Uplink is created, the Uplink bank itself is not audited in this mod, only accounts held on other servers.
ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm

What if I use cheatengine to add a million credits to my name?

I still get caught?

Return to “The Future”