Big Idea Collection

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Herzal
level0

Big Idea Collection

Postby Herzal » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 am

hey guys,

i go to school and have to make a game this year, and i need some good ideas. i dont try to make a full, megacool game or stuff like that, just a little programing exercise. it will most probably not be released. but the problem is: i have no ideas :( i just love uplink, so i thought, something like a hackergame would be cool (because they are rare). also, i am in an it school and everbody likes console stuff :)

as i've said before, i need ideas, PLEASE help me :cry:

thanks for your help
Hades
level1
level1

Postby Hades » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 am

Pong 2008 Deluxe limited version.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Erm, this forum is all full of ideas and attempts at hacker games, and the discussion of both. Why not read them?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 pm

A 'little programming exercise' might just make Pac-Man your best bet, to be honest.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:39 pm

I would suggest that any game which requires the generation of a lot of content is a bad idea. Fundamentally, it is not that difficult to create a game which has "missions" (like an RPG, or Uplink). The problem comes from writing all of the missions, and testing all of the missions, and making sure that they all work together properly. Content is hard work, and, quite frankly, isn't really that interesting or demonstrative of programming ability (which, if you are working for a class, is something that you need to show).

I would suggest that you are better off trying to do something with fairly simple rules, and a more arcade kind of feel to it. Something like Snake, Tetris, Breakout., or, as suggested above, Pac-Man. With any of those, you can probably create a quick and dirty little program that plays the game, then add features (powerups, difficulty levels, whatever) if time permits.

So, if my opinion is to be considered, avoid content, think about doing something more arcade-y.

Return to “The Future”