Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

galoisien
level1
level1

The AI is a bit dumb

Postby galoisien » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:54 am

It allows me to survive, I suppose.

I pull off the destruction of a major company's servers. Seeing this in the news and reading how they've reconstructed stuff from access logs, I worry I didn't cover my tracks well enough. I foolishly search for the other companies' servers, to see if I can clear logs or wipe them out too. However, because I connected directly (had to search for them!) and forgot to bounce, I get caught. I get fined 2000 credits. This is like a slap on the wrist.

A smart investigator (especially since you're out for blood after a major system failure like this) would know that these two events have some connection.

The other thing is after you've cleared all the logs, even with the best version, you still leave one more log behind after you've disconnected. A smart investigator would know that would be a good probability for a good lead on a new passive trace. So in order to really cover your tracks well, you have to connect to different points on your first chain after having pulled off a major hack to clear logs, hoping this will throw them off enough.

The other thing, is that after you've routed through the same computer to the same computer next in the chain, for a dozen million times, someone should get suspicious, even if direct chain has been broken. For example, if you bounce A => B => C => D, perform a hack at D and clear routing logs at C, B should notice that you've been connecting A => B => C a million times already and report this to the authorities, who will then be able to repursue the chain.

Hell, even if it's not sufficient legal evidence, it's a good enough suspicion to launch a wiretap on you.

But this doesn't happen.

Anyway, it would be nice if I could play Uplink in the same manner I'd expect *human* investigators to pursue or attempt to track me, rather than easily evading what are AI procedures (like checking routing and file access logs only).
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:15 am

1) Uplink is a game, designed to similate the "Hollywood" hacking experience. It is not supposed to be realistic. Hell, if it were realistic, there would be women in the databases.

2) The Uplink source code is available in the Introversion store. If you really think that the AI needs tweaking, they you are more than free to pay Introversion £5 for the source, and change it yourself.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:50 am

As per mr_anonymous and 'realism', many find the game hard - and unforgiving - enough already (cf. every single freaking thread for the last year).
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch

Return to “The Future”