User-Created/Scripted Missions?

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

nCow
level0

User-Created/Scripted Missions?

Postby nCow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm not really talking changes to the random-mission-generator..
but in making it easier to make a new storyline/arc..
If my guess is right, the only way to add a new scenario on a scale near "Arunmor/ARC" sort of scenario is in the Dev-CD and a newly compiled uplink.exe..

It'd be nice to be able to script/make new scenarios/missions and have users/players just download them and plop them into a scenarios/missions folder. Without the ability to make new scenarios, all the mods in uplink are for customizing(looks/feel) and we just play the same Arunmor/ARC Storyline time over time.

//
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:18 am

Well you could create something like that, if you had the DevCD to code it.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
nCow
level0

Postby nCow » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:47 am

On doing a search, it looks like there was an old thread by SuperPig working on something similar but broader:

"Mod Hooks"
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink/viewtopic.php?t=30866&start=0
SuperPig wrote:[...] I have begun work on something that I feel Uplink is sorely lacking: the ability to add functionality/data without needing to overwrite the .exe.
[...]
Mods are put out as DLLs (or .so, which I think is the equivalent on Linux?) and stored in a /mods/ folder in the Uplink folder; the game then loads them all and calls into them at certain points - 'hooks.'
[...]

So it looks like SuperPig had something started. But it also seems that he hasn't posted in near two years.
My suggestion though was focused more on missions, so that being able to add missions/scenarios wouldn't require rolling a new uplink.exe, nor would it preclude running mods while you had those new missions plugged in.
Rkiver wrote:Well you could create something like that, if you had the DevCD to code it.

It'd be nice to see either a patch or a mod which would make adding new missions/storylines/storyArcs possible without needing to roll new Uplink.exe's for each. s'all really..
It'd probably either have to be an 'official' patch, though, to not be stuck with the same "one at a time" limitation mods have.
A Patch which would allow for new scenarios/missions/storylines to be incorporated would open up possiblities for scripters. Something akin to user-made campaigns/missions in wargames, new maps/scenarios in "real-time-strategy"s, or addon levels in fps's.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:04 am

Well there will be no more patches for Uplink, Introversion are busy with Darwinia and Defcon.
JamesL
level1
level1

My two cents

Postby JamesL » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:18 pm

This would be a good idea. Better yet, the whole mission system could be scripted, with randomly generated missions generated by scripted mission templates, and plot missions generated by an event scheduler.

The slight issue I have with DLLs is one of security. If Uplink contained a script interpreter, then it could at least limit what could be done, for security purposes. Also it would be more accessible to people will limited programming experience.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:47 am

Rkiver wrote:Well there will be no more patches for Uplink, Introversion are busy with Darwinia and Defcon.

Who would have thought in March when I said that I would be so wrong? :P

Return to “The Future”