Uplink Multiplayer

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

welterde
level2
level2

Uplink Multiplayer

Postby welterde » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:55 pm

Hey gues, I watched the IV#Uplink Forums since I bought Uplink for an Uplink 2, Uplink with multiplayer, Uplink Online, ... . Yeah there were also some interesting projects(flashlink, uplink m, some who didnt even had an name, MyLink(http://home.as-netz.de/gblech/mylink/| does any body know this from this forum?), etc.), but all had gone, either they didnt really started, or the programmer stopped work because it wasnt fun any more and didnt gave the code to the next one to continue working on it. Yeah Im also writing on an Uplink Clone with multiplayer support. It will/is GPL)
I also have uploaded two src snapshots. The first one includes an pre-compiled JAR-File, the second dont. To run them you need Java( http://java.sun.com ).
Both versions compile fine on mine machine.You will need Java 1.5

Name: JLink(homepage)
Language written in: Java(runs on Win, Linux, Solaris, Mac!)
Language planned: English, German can later be translated
License: GPL
Goal: keep close to IV Uplink, but not too close
Progress:
Overall 5%
Client 5%
Server 10%
Share 5%(Protocol and so)
Theme 0%(could be done in 1h, but i concentrate act. on Client)
Translation 0%

Screenshots can be found on the HP
Changelog
* rev6: update to maven2 as build system: step1
* rev7: update to maven2 as build system: step2(fix Errors, create start scripts and resume normal development)

from rev10 on, you can find the changelog here: http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/JLink%20Game
Last edited by welterde on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:48 am

Nice to see more people living the dream of an Uplink 2, feel free to come check out Project Weblink. Unfortunately cant see myself supporting your project, i dont really like Java based applications, but im sure others may so good luck.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:51 am

It's not online but check out Onlink.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:28 am

Best of luck etc etc.

I'm still not holding my breath though.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
welterde
level2
level2

Postby welterde » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 pm

@prophile I tested it already It's great but not multiplayer, it would be brilliant with multiplayer. But without it is "just" the best MOD for Uplink ever written, really, i like it, may i can "import" some ideas, if i am allowed. Did you know MyLink(not from me, the link is in my first post, there is also another Homepage with lots of Screenshots, but i dont find it again)

@vooshy and i dont like VB.net, because it from M$, and it isnt as portable as Java, it will run under Win, Linux, Solaris without recompiling it, but i will write an small launcher for the different OSes, cause ant -Dapplication.args=[/path/to/trunk] run isnt an nice way running it.
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:36 pm

I know, if it were my project I would have done it in other code, but vb.net works for windows users which is the majority unfortunately. By the way I am only the Web Admin for the project, just heavily believe it will go ahead.
ProstheticS
level1
level1

Postby ProstheticS » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:41 pm

should have changed this msg a long time ago to say that i ran out of time when i was working on this and have of course moved on from this idea. i wish anyone else would ocntinue ,and wish them the best of luck because ide love to play a multiplayer version of this game
Last edited by ProstheticS on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------
I win
----------------
welterde
level2
level2

Postby welterde » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:05 pm

hey i written an prog it uses only 8MiB :-P
And ever seen an Server written in VB.Net? Hey if you seen one, that says nothing because it also exists an server in Postscrip(an language for printers!), which is really in use, I mean an really big site. In Java there exist lot of sites.(Apache Tomcat). When using Wine it isnt portable it only emulates Windows library.
I will support Mac OS....... ok they have to wait until there is JRE 1.5 port to Mac OS, actually the most recent version is 1.4
Actually i am working on the server. If someone wants the current src snapshot, you have to PM me, because my Webspace is donw :-(
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 am

hmm shame their no delphi project maybe i make one... nah think i just stick with web administration.
Algae
level0

Postby Algae » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:21 am

Quick question: what are the legal ramifications of creating an online Uplink; using name, themes, style, etc.?

_Nik
coldhand
level1
level1

Postby coldhand » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:07 am

you'll be shot from a canon into the flames of HELL :twisted:
Everyone that wants to learn how you must act on a forum or just want to laugh, watch this movie
click here for very useful uplink guide
welterde
level2
level2

Postby welterde » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:22 pm

Ok I have a new Homepage, cause the HDD of the last one crashed and so. JLink can now be found here
yeah, hosted by SF.NET
Cyber_Ghost
level1
level1

Postby Cyber_Ghost » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:24 am

Nice to have a homepage... but upload some files, atleast a whitepaper to outline your ideas, so others can help.
Maybe if it's what I have in mind I can also help with the project.
What I'm currently working on seems like it'll take me a better part of my free time (wich I don't have much since I'm a soldier), so I may join it with another project.
welterde
level2
level2

Postby welterde » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:29 am

It would be nice if you said what you have in mind, cause i cant read the thoughts of other people ;-)
My thought is just like Uplink, but with multiplayer not Online gaming, Internet yes but no an massive multiplayer game.

Edit: ok i know what you are thinking(your post), its not the same, may we can join the projects if its written in Java or Python we could join the projects later. You my askWhy Python also? because i will later use Python for the dynamic stuff and so.
Cyber_Ghost
level1
level1

Postby Cyber_Ghost » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:13 pm

I never tought about using Python, but I can see where it can help.
I hope to have some files online this week so people can comment on them.

Return to “The Future”