Uplink on Portables

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Sagan2
level0

Uplink on Portables

Postby Sagan2 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:18 pm

When I played Uplink the thought came to my mind immediately: This game is made to be on a portable. It fits almost perfectly. You can play Uplink for only a couple of minutes or for hours, which is perfect for portable games.

It doesn't have to be an Uplink 2 or something, just release the same game on PSP or NDS. I would buy it immediately.

... NDS would probably be better than PSP because of the similar interface.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Unfortunately, the DevCD licence prohibits third parties from porting to different platforms, and I doubt Introversion will be doing so any time soon, so I think you may be out of luck.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:22 am

That's too bad. :cry: There's practiacly a whole untapped market out there just waiting for Uplink for cell phones, PDAs, and other portables. I think IV must still be reeling from the Strategy First screw job, or too obsessed with Darwinia to care anymore.

BTW, I take it the Mac version out there is truely legal.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:28 am

The Mac version is an official Introversion release in conjunction with Ambrosia.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Bahnmor
level0

Postby Bahnmor » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:57 pm

Just a thought from a newbie. Would Uplink run on a Pocket PC (Like say an ipaq)?
It may not, but the idea sure is cool.
xMs
level3
level3

Postby xMs » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:32 pm

A Pocket Pc is a portable... So my guess is no.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:01 am

A long time ago, before Darwinia was even named, or looked anything like the Darwinia we know today, the pocket pc was thought of, hell Chris even released the coding he had done so far for the pocket pc to those of us in the devcd community. Nothing ever came of it though.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
pimp-my-ppc
level1
level1

Postby pimp-my-ppc » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:41 am

could this pocket pc version code ever be realeased? I have allways hoped it would be finished.
Hacker101
level3
level3

Postby Hacker101 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:33 am

pimp-my-ppc wrote:could this pocket pc version code ever be realeased? I have allways hoped it would be finished.

I was looking around, and saw that Duke Nukem could be played on your Pocket PC. You somehow copy and change a few files from the DN you have on your PC and then send it to your Pocket PC. I wonder if UpLink could work the same way. I'll let you know what the URL is for that if I find it
GXCori
level0

Uplink for Handhelds

Postby GXCori » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:28 pm

I have been thinking this since I got my DS, and even have a design worked out in my head (student dev, lol), if I were the Uplink Devs, I'd definitely give Nintendo a yell and see if ANYTHING can be worked out. NDS and PSP are just begging for this game. I can say too, that I'd buy it immediately.

Just imagine being able to not only hack fictional systems but players too...just a thought.
sugar and spice and girls who slice @ www.gameinatrix.com
VITAS
level1
level1

Postby VITAS » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:24 pm

if you can emulate a windows or linux on a portable device (including open gl) it will run.
So far im not aware of any device with enough power to do so.

(maybe the top line ipaq or dell axim since they have a semi 3d chip)

btw windows CE != Windows 2k/XP

(ther's a windows xp embeded version but i dont know any device which runs it)
Sylvanoes
level0

Uplink for PocketPC

Postby Sylvanoes » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Uplink running on a PocketPC would be great! Especially since for the most part the game is point and click, granted, occassionally you have to actually type something in.

If anyone knows anything about any developement on this, please let the rest of us know about it.
Hacker101
level3
level3

Postby Hacker101 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:00 pm

Yeah, Uplink for PocketPC would be perfect... and like Sylvanoes said, please let us know if anything like that is ever released :D
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Hacker101 wrote:Yeah, Uplink for PocketPC would be perfect... and like Sylvanoes said, please let us know if anything like that is ever released :D

You guys forget something very basic: input. With a PocketPC, you would have stylus control primarily, with the option of a 4- to 8-way directional pad, that's it. Uplink in some cases requires you to be able to type, which really puts a thorn in an effort to make an intuitive and fun version of the game to a portable device.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:08 pm

So PocketPC's can't implement a virtual keyboard?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “The Future”