Uplink MMO idea(yes again but please read)

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

SystematicPenguin
level0

Uplink MMO idea(yes again but please read)

Postby SystematicPenguin » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:11 pm

I have read quite a few posts about the want for a Uplink MMO and in most of there there are single people working on them. If people are serous about making an Uplink MMO than they should all form a group and help each other, maby Introversoin wouldn`t mind letting another group take over the development of an uplink MMO. In my opionion and the opinion of all of the poeple I personally know that play Uplink is that an Uplink MMO could compete with everquest(Or at least Project Entropia) All it needs is is to be is organized and planned out extesivly not just scatterd through out 20 or so posts. For example here is a ROUGH scetch of how and what should happen:

1. Get approval form Introversion
2. Get A group of at LEAST 20 people
3. Poll the net(yes the net not just the Unplink Commun.)
4. Write an EXTREEMLY detailed game outline with soooooo many details that erading it makes you explode(in the literal sense)
5. Gather more Ideas
6. Start writing the SERVER SIDE software the better the server works the better the clients will work
7. Write the Client Side Software now you know how the server works and what it needs so make it useful.
8. Release a Alpha 1 test
9-14 Alpha 2 to Beta 3
15. Final 1

The following was a very simple non-detailed plan if there is a group or poeple who want to make an Uplink MMO. Than I would be glad to help Organize it and do some web dev for it. Of course non of this can really happen Without the approval of Introversion or without a willing and able group of poeple.
dels
level2
level2

Postby dels » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:22 pm

you want uplink online?
take a while i think it will be release in 2010 :P

rather than uplink online lets wait for Onlink!
You don't need reason for helping people
ChrisX2
level0

Postby ChrisX2 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:07 pm

i can write PHP and MySQL so if it was a broswer type game like The Mafia Network i could help write it
prophile
level5
level5

U:O Documents

Postby prophile » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:35 pm

Compilation of ideas for Uplink MMO:

This document is for ideas for Uplink:Online. This will be the project name until a better name is suggested. The project will be built using MySQL, PHP, HTML and CSS. Users register with the site and select their gateway office.

The large network (built entirely into a few databases on a large server newtork, accessable at uplink.net or somewhere) will be called the Linkscape.

In the linkscape, anyone can hack any place except 127.0.0.1 (themselves) and 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.x.1) - their local Uplink Internal Services System. Each user will have their own IP address as 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.x.y where x is a number from (1 to m) or ((m + 1) to 2m)* - the number of gateway offices - and y is their unique idenfification number. (m is the number of gatway offices)

*both are the same thing, this allows for up to 2000 people per gateway office.

A number of high-profile servers will be run by the administrators, other people can be made to be server runners by the administrators. Servers will have a unique IP address. These servers will look much like the ones in uplink, and can have downloads.

Programs will be written in either a high-level scripting language called Linkscript, a low-level language called USC (Uplink Standard Code) or the main programs distibuted with the game written in C++. People will be able to write their own viruses, hacking software and security software.

Users will get 30-day trials, after that they have to pay £3 a month registration fee. The top 50 people pay only £2 a month, the top 10 pay £1 a month.

There will be one standard currency - credits. These will be stored in bank servers. (which can be hacked)

Companies running servers can post special missions to the Mission BBSes, and other BBS missions will be generated automatically.)

A licence agreement says that nobody may sue anybody else in real life for any incident on Uplink:Online, nor can they trade anything in the game for real money. Only one person may use an account.

Users are permitted to terminate an account at any time, but they must wait 2 days before they may start another one.
01mareva
level1
level1

Indeed

Postby 01mareva » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:15 pm

I agree with these ideas. Excepth the idea that you cannot hack uplink. You should be able to hack in and nick software etc.
Also, I think an online multiplayer needs a lot of team work. It would be great to have teams working together each person doing a bit of the hack. This would mean that you cannot just be really nasty to everyone on the net, you have to coop with some people for the really big jobs.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:42 am

There will be an IRC room on each world section's local server. Agents are strongly encouraged to work with the people on their local server. I am looking in to how to encourage this.

And about hacking Uplink, people would then be able to get everything and be able to wreak havoc. The linkscape would become just a few people in charge and everyone else not standing a chance.

When people steal money, sure their accounts go up, but then they become more famous - massive amounts of money suddenly coming in to an account would lead to investigation from the CIA etc...

Return to “The Future”