Uplink as paid download?

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

r3m0t
level0

Uplink as paid download?

Postby r3m0t » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:39 am

I'm hanging around waiting "five to seven to twenty-seven days" for my CD, and I thought: why can't they just offer it as a paid download, like, say, retro64? :( after paying , they let you download it straight away, and you get a login for the download, which you can retrieve by contacting them etc etc.
The only reason I can think of that they might not want to do this is that the real CD might have the music kept as audio tracks. Does it?
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:42 am

They probably could, if they really wanted to, but most people are happy to wait, especially seeing as IV are very good at getting discs out quickly.

And as the game is now sadly past it's peak, it would probably be a lot of effort for very little benefit, as few people would use it, I imagine.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:46 am

IV are fast, domestic deliveries usually arrive in 2 days, that is my experience, and international don't usually take more than a week.

A paid download system is complex and costly (all kinds of extra copy protection is needed). It is avaliable for the Mac version of Uplink, and Introversion's next game, Darwinia, will probably have a paid download.
ender
level3
level3

Postby ender » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:45 pm

Darksun wrote:IV are fast, domestic deliveries usually arrive in 2 days, that is my experience, and international don't usually take more than a week.

Im not sure about international but i guess it depepnds on the postal service in your area, ie if the posties are on strike you may not recieve it in the time specified, i got mine from HMV so i dont know if it is IV's direct post or whatever.
Otherwise like Darksun says shouldnt take more than 2-3 days topps.
Check Me Out!

No....there are no need for words my
friend....
I can read you like an open book!
Maniac11111111
level1
level1

Postby Maniac11111111 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:43 pm

Hi I bought my uplink hacker game as a download.
You get the game with sound track,
get it from trygames.com
WOPR
level0

TryGames.Com

Postby WOPR » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:41 pm

Maniac11111111 wrote:Hi I bought my uplink hacker game as a download.
You get the game with sound track,
get it from trygames.com

Have you noticed any problems with it....

What about manuals, copy-protection etc
Maniac11111111
level1
level1

Postby Maniac11111111 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:36 am

no major problems, then again i dont have the cd version.
have seen a minor problem, when first starting as a 1st time play you need the grid code to complete the regestration( i.e x 2 code would be someting like 4e). Had a hard time trying to find it found it 10 min later as a pdf file (4 pages long)
1 other problem it doesnt have a manual (how to play the game as it what parts of the game work) I had to do a tryal and error playing the game until I posted on forums "is there a manual to play this game as there aint one on the download version" :)
the bonus with the down load is it only cost me £13.50p to buy aprox $20.
Tony

P.S if you have the full CD version have a go at the download version of the game from trygames you do get a full 1 hr of play time before you have to buy the game, and compare the difference between the two of em. get it here :-http://www.trygames.com/search_results/aff=trygames/linksh=6Pq5UwlO2hg-ivXp4GffwnVzpGUQC1qJGw/time_entered=20040913094909/page=1

Return to “The Future”