Uplink - Online Multiplayer

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:37 am

Bytelink is really starting to come along. Forum membership is growin, the game is getting better and better. I certainly with we had a few more forum members bouncing around ideas. We're toying with a few ideas for PVP, but it would be nice to get some more suggestions... If you aren't registered and contributing on the Bytelink forums, hurry up, register, and get to work! :D

Seriously though, unlike most of the Uplink Online projects, this one is not yet dead. It's still going, after a year, with a full multi-tiered server network ready to go, and a game client construct that looks better and better. A lot of the under-the-hood code and main game architecture is complete, so we are moving into the implementation-of-cool-ideas phase. And, yes, I know. There are a lot of forum members who just bitch at people for even mentioning the O word. Online. 'It's been tried, it failed', 'It won't happen', etc. are common responses. And I agree, there are hurdles, and it's hard to do. But, why not take 5 minutes to come look at Bytelink? If everyone refuses to post ideas because they don't think the game will get anywhere, then it won't. I can't think of a PVP system that's both fun and immersive, and that allows people to actually compete on a skill basis. Ideally some hacks would just be impossible for some people, others would be somewhat hard, and others would be easy. If you met someone who completed one of the near impossible hacks, you would know they were smart. Not like meeting a level 99 player in an RPG who is only there because of a bot or because they simply had enough time to get there. I don't know. Anyways, I've digressed. My point is, I want some fresh ideas showing up. I want some people to give us a bit of recognition, and, ideally, to contribute to our success.

Anyways, this is just an Uplink fan's plea. Http://bytelink.org is the site. I hope some people will show up and help us out.
andres3535
level0

Postby andres3535 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:52 am

hey how is it going? any updates?
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:17 am

Well, we're working on getting another release out soon. I'm not going to go into very much detail, it would be best if you checked out the News section of the forums.

Return to “The Future”