Make it REAL!

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

K98thedestroyer
level1
level1

Make it REAL!

Postby K98thedestroyer » Tue May 04, 2004 5:23 pm

Now I think they're back, the dev team, and of course, I'm BACK! after I take down some major school computers using.... Screwdrivers!

No off anymore, to hack FTP sites you need to.....
1.Gain access as anonymous or ordinary member.
2.Steal \etc\passwd
3.In some cases they're shadowed. take '\etc\shadow\'
4.Use a program like John the Rip*** to extract password.
5.Now you got password, convert it to REAL passwd.
6.Do anything you want.

See, how hard it is to break a system.... Some big organizations change password every 24 hours so it should have strong sites to have this protection.

And anyone can recommend me good LANs? Complex but not easy to trace. (like do 1000 nodes then end up with modem&main server.)

In reality, decrypting takes an hour, or more than 3 years. ( I know this most! I use cracker to extract password from Gamebible!)

Also, Proxy should be player's, not target's.

Proxy let you surf anonymously, it changes your IP. You are able to use different proxies to hack banks. Without being passive traced.

Firewall prevents hackers.

Monitor, do as its name.
Last edited by K98thedestroyer on Thu May 06, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOFH
level1
level1

Postby BOFH » Tue May 04, 2004 9:27 pm

You're right. Uplink SHOULD be more real. I have some experience in hacking, so i know what you need and what you do.

First off, the Password Breaker is as unreal as it gets. It needs to be more complex, like you have to set it up to use it. If you download Brutus, you will see what I mean.

Second, the File Copier and File Deleter and Log Deleter is unreal too.
Deleting and Copying functions are built into the OS. As for the log deleting, there isint a Log Deleter program in reality, so logs should be deleted with the File Deleter program because a log is a file, after all.

They got the Proxy server entirely wrong. A Proxy server doesen't protect records or logs, thats what the Firewall is for. a Proxy server allows anonymous access to the internet, so people don't see your real IP.

This is just a few of the things they got wrong.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed May 05, 2004 1:28 pm

If uplink was real, it wouldn't be fun. Do you really want to play a game where you spend hours looking through lines and lines of code looking for a security hole. I believe Chris said something to this effect in an interview once
BOFH
level1
level1

Postby BOFH » Wed May 05, 2004 2:14 pm

You're right, hacking IS boring. There's alot of waiting in real hacking. you cant break a password in 1 min, thats for sure. It usually takes a day or 12 hours to break a password. Also, hacking is very technical. I think they should make a "Real Uplink" mod for people who know what theyre doing. Hacking also needs alot of studying; you need to know the definitions of ports, which services are on which ports, what protocols are, and you need to plan out your attack carefully, like get ideas of what you should do when something unexpected happens.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Wed May 05, 2004 2:15 pm

Everyone needs to realise one important fact:

Realism != Fun
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
ludolf
level0

Postby ludolf » Thu May 06, 2004 12:16 am

yeah i guess too much realism isen't the way to go... it's a fictional universe in the future... so what's the matter... but as you can see there should be MUCH more complex stuff... RFID, BLUETOOTH, and lot's of real protocols as security... there should be robots... retinal scans, DNA scans... who knows...
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Thu May 06, 2004 12:57 am

No, there really shouldn't. There really isn't much wrong with it now. If you start adding "realistic" security systems, it would suck.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
BOFH
level1
level1

Postby BOFH » Thu May 06, 2004 1:27 am

SOME realistic things would be good, but not alot.
xploit
level1
level1

Postby xploit » Fri May 28, 2004 4:12 am

If you started adding things as far as "real" hacking goes, it would be way too tedious. I know. As far as the operation of a proxy and firewall. You are right on the proxy, the firewall will not keep you from files though, it will keep you from hitting ports on a box.

Another neat idea would be adding a portscanner and an OS trace (like nmap) and being able to hack into ISP's to delete their logs as well.

But in the end (with real hacking) if you delete logs and cover traces on the target machine the ISP can still trace you. I don't care how many times you bounce, even if you wipe out a machine you bounced from the service provider of that machine can trace you. Just depends how persistant the target is.

Cherio
I'm ton Lixdesic, Yuck foo
omarhib
level0

Postby omarhib » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:56 am

do u want a real game.... go to hackerslab.org
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:53 am

Why did you dig this up?

The last message of this thread was in MAY.
WarStoke
level0

Postby WarStoke » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:52 am

well if you realy want a more realistic hacking game
there is mod-x online
lol i used to be a real code cracker back in highschool and i can only solve the problem required to register lol
im stuck on level 1 you should google mod-x and try it then you will love how uplink is fantasy hacking
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:50 am

Stop bumping topics you idiots.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
gorg666
level0

Postby gorg666 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:52 am

Not much hacking is like Uplink. Most of its NetBIOS, so it revolves around DOS and the Command Prompt. Anyways now-a-days everything's protected from NetBIOS intrustions.

I think Uplink is as fine as it is, its as realistic as it can be without being boring and having to learn DOS and Unix commands etc just to complete the first mission!!

hehehe
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:05 am

What is it with you bloody fucktard n00bs and bumping old topics?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “The Future”