Uplink 2 vs Darwinia

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Which would you rather Introversion develop?

Darwinia
24%
Uplink 2
76%

Total votes: 126
Burningmace
level1
level1

Uplink 2 vs Darwinia

Postby Burningmace » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:25 pm

Hi there.

I was just wondering what you thought about the new game that Introversion are developing (Darwinia - http://www.darwinia.co.uk).
I would much prefer that they stuck to Uplink and made an Uplink 2.

What do you think???
racractus
level0

Postby racractus » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:57 pm

Personally although i would like to see a further uplink game i am extremely happy to see Darwinia.

Hopefully the devs will find some way to create an unholy offspring of the Darwinia and Uplink style stratagies and create from those another game with a feel that is both recognisably uplinkish and as novel as uplink was(/is don't think that anyone has approached it other than direct clones).

So although i agree that uplink2 is a nice idea that i will keep an eye out for - i prefer to have something different between times.
Corruptation
level5
level5

Postby Corruptation » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:38 pm

IIRC, Introversion says that they won't be making squeals. Now the DevCD is out, it is highly unlikely that IV will be making Uplink 2.
I did defeat Epyon, on Hard Mode but I used up lots of continues. :)
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:52 pm

I'd much rather they made Darwinia, because it would be much harder to make Uplink 2 better and more successful than Uplink, there's a higher chance things could go wrong.

There's a limit to how far hacking games can go, and I fear Uplink 2 wouldn't be much different from Uplink.

Darwinia looks neat too.
Nakatomi is coming
Superpig
level4
level4

Postby Superpig » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:51 pm

I'm very happy that they went for Darwinia. It gives them two brands to use in the future, rather than just making themselves known as 'the guys who make those hacking sims.'
Superpig
- Saving pigs from untimely fates
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:50 pm

yes i would prefer if introversion wasnt making "squeals" either :P
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Oz v1.1
level1
level1

Postby Oz v1.1 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:14 am

coolsi wrote:I'd much rather they made Darwinia, because it would be much harder to make Uplink 2 better and more successful than Uplink, there's a higher chance things could go wrong.

There's a limit to how far hacking games can go, and I fear Uplink 2 wouldn't be much different from Uplink.

Darwinia looks neat too.

uplink 2 would not be like a new game, but more an upgrade to v2
also it might include some cool feutures like online/multiplayers stuff
more tools more missions, more realistic, nah i see enough thay can improof
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:21 pm

Not enough for a new game...those are all improvements to the existing game which can be implemented by a patch.
Nakatomi is coming
SLSCanada
level0

Postby SLSCanada » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:44 am

coolsi wrote:Not enough for a new game...those are all improvements to the existing game which can be implemented by a patch.

Microsoft does that all the time (add new features to next vers instead of patch) ;)

As far as Uplink 2 goes, internet capabilities would be a must but would take a very long time to develop and make it fairplay.

At least it may be something to consider in the future for Introversion when they feel confident that such a task can be accomplished.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:21 pm

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think there'd be much of a difference between the two games in many areas e.g. graphics and gameplay. They'd be too similar to be called seperate games.
Nakatomi is coming
Surfpup
level2
level2

Postby Surfpup » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:55 pm

I think that it is good that IV made a "different" type of game, however i believe that they should make an online hacking game in the future. Even though it would take alot of work, it would be worth it. It is likely that an online hacking game would sell faster and better than any ordinary single-player hacking game. Offtopic- I noticed that when i googled my name some very very old posts of mine were found and when i try to go to them, it turns out they were deleted. I haven't posted here in a long long time but i was bored so here i am.
Homestar
level0

Postby Homestar » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:46 pm

I think the idea of Darwinia is cool, but i would rather they make uplink2. I would rather hack the GCD with my freands then play single player without them. Sure uplink2 would be a massive undertaking but i think its worth it to wait five years. :roll:
H*R
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:37 pm

And you bumped this age topic just for that?

Darwinia is almost ready for beta test. Uplink 2/Uplink Online is not likely to ever happen. That is according to the creator himself. So can we just let the idea of Uplink 2/Uplink Online die?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
smartegg
level1
level1

A cool idea!!

Postby smartegg » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:41 pm

If someone was planning to make a game like Uplink. Or if another version of Uplink would be made I would like to have different computers with different looks. On the internet almost every site has it's unique look and style. Why doesn't someone make a game with different computers belonging to different companies which all have their personal website from which you could get detailed information about their work and stuff. In Uplink every company seems to be using the same system and they all have the same interface. Also it would be better if there were also females in Uplink. I don't know why IV didn't think of that
Blue Moon
level1
level1

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:21 am

I think Uplink 2 would've been better, maybe after Darwinia is done, hopefully the next game will be Uplink 2. I mean Uplink is a great game, soo many of us like it, it was fun playing it and I would like to see a second one, with different missions, more hacking utilities, hardware, viruses, More Massive! ya know??
There are many ways they can make it way different from Uplink. The main thing I think everyone would want with it is Multiplayer.. dont u guys agree? you get a good amount of pleasure from uplink, you would get even more if you were online hacking real people in a multiplayer. We all would have our temporary enemies and allies. Anyway, List some of your idea's about how better uplink 2 could be, I look forward to reading it.

-Agent Blue Moon
Oh did I studder? Everybody got all quite and shit? about a minute ago it was like an Uplink Forum up in this mothah fuckah, now its as quite as a Church

Return to “The Future”