Uplink: 2005

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

MrStuff
level0

Postby MrStuff » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:55 pm

One thing I like about the original Uplink is the realism, without actually giving away too much information on real life hacking. So expanding on that quality, I came up with this idea.

Why not place the sequel before the original in the timeline, but still have it in the somewhat near future to avoid it being a little too real, say about 2005, '06, whenever. Just a start, I'll let everyone else take this plot as far as they want.

On a more immediate note, there are some other things I'd like to see in the sequel besides another kick ass plot to follow up on the last one:

-Advanced World Map
Perferably the ability to zoom in and out quickly, as well as more realistic set locations for different links. Also, the ability to set up a bounce route without navigating the world map would come in handy.

-Realistic Government Mainframes
Maybe in 2010 we all submit to one global government, but right now there are too many countries (perferbaly since the fall of the U.S.S.R.) and so on, to count, all with different governments, which all have different mainframes and so on, which could lead to endless possibilities. Maybe the U.S. government could hire you to hack a Chinese government controlled computer? Or maybe even vice versa? Now starting an international crisis, THAT would be interesting.

-Hack Popular Websites: Yahoo! eBay, etc.
Now due to legal issues, unless the corporation agreed to let the sequel use the company name - which would take quite a good deal of money and effort - you probably wouldn't be able to get to do this in the next Uplink. However, there are ways around this. Wouldn't it be cool to hack such names as Yafoo! or eWay. Well, I'll let you figure that one out.

-Interactive Media
I was always amsued to see my latest hack made the news. Kind of a nifty bonus to see that I got someone arrested, or whatever, but we could really expand on that feature. It would be awesome to be able to watch CNN, or listen to the radio, and hear reports about a company's server going down due to hackers, details at 11, and then to be able to hack the television or radio station, and watch the chaos ensue.

-Hijack a Satilleite!
I just think it would be cool to hijack a satilleite. Really... think about it. That would be so awesome. Your very own satilleite. Take pictures from space of secret government bases, crash it into another one, or get those extra speciality channels that you have to pay outrageous amounts for... well I think it would be cool.

One final note. I've heard a lot of talk about making Uplink a MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game). I can tell you that would absolutely awesome, although it would take a lot of work, and would be infinately complex. Still, if anyone could figure out how to do it, I'd buy it the instant it hit the shelves. =D
Have you ever had amnesia and deja vu simotaneously? I'm like that all the time.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:43 pm

Well after reading you post I decided to answer each point starting from the very start of your post.

1) Uplink is in no way real. It is Hollywood hacking, looks good, but is nowhere near the real thing. Ok maybe for script kiddies it may be close to real, but for the rest of them, nope, fake, 100% not real. No way, no how. But it is enjoyable game, no questions asked there.

2) Prequel sequel. Not a bad idea, has certain merits and flaws....but those would be for each individual to decide what the merits and flaws are.

3) World Map: Yeah it can be a bit glitchy at times, but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of recoding using the DevCD and the source code.

3) More goverment mainframes: The actual mainframes in Uplink for the goverment are unhackable as you cannot get the admins voice. However if there was multiple goverments etc, well I'm sure something could be arranged to accomidate such an idea.

4) Yahoo etc....hack them and do what? Deface them? Steal credit card numbers from eBay? Good idea, just needs to be worked on a little bit.

5) The amount of actual coding for that, Interactive media, is huge.....and I mean huge....though it would be a nice touch.

6) A totally new system for the game, but it has merit. I for one would like it. I'll have to look into coding that into a mod perhaps...

7) Uplink MMPORPG: Yes, extremely complex, damn near impossible almost. Though you never know. Some one might try it......

I get all my information on how probable these ideas are from messing about with the coding from the DevCD for Uplink. Maybe you should get one and have a go at coding some of the changes yourself.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
ODDin
level5
level5

Postby ODDin » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:57 pm

The hijacking of a satellite and media changes may be used for missions for the government - take pictures of a secret base, as you said, or giving false news.

Nothing like brainwashing a country to make you happy. :)

P.S. The best first post I have seen so far. Congrats.

(Edited by ODDin at 12:58 pm on Sep. 27, 2003)
TheDuke
level3
level3

Postby TheDuke » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:00 pm

I had a similar idea of a sort of Uplink prequel.
It would begin in the late '80s (1987 or so) and progress to the present and beyond.

There are a bunch of details that would have to be worked out. It would also look a bit bland at first since your starting gateway would be something like an i80286 running the proprietary Uplink OS, or an AT&T 3B2 (About 286 level machine with about 4 megs of RAM) running System V UNIX. It would play similar to uplink, but it would be text based until you buy the necessary hardware and software upgrades for a GUI.
  Technology would realistically progress with new OS's and hardware coming out at thier historically accurate times. Also, the Uplink news would periodically report major historical events in addition to the hacker centered news.
   Over time, more companies would go "online". This means that the number of potential targets, clients, and types of missions will increase as the game goes on. (It is also possible for some companies to go out of business.)
Security holes and exploits in computer software would be fixed as time passes, so exploit and hacking programs that you buy from Uplink will become obsolete and have to be replaced. Also, newer software will require more memory and more processing power, and perhaps even a new system architecture or OS (try running the new 32-bit hack on your old 16-bit system). You will have to constantly upgrade your hardware and software to stay on top. Also, some hardware and software will stop working when the game clock reaches the year 2000. (Remember the Y2K thing?)

This is just my preliminary idea. The goal is to have a sort of expanded and improved Uplink with a retro feel.

(Edited by TheDuke at 2:03 pm on Sep. 28, 2003)
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:05 pm

Heh, I had the same idea.  Mine would have started with the ARPAnet and move along with the proression of the Internet.  It would be like an Uplink meets Civilization sort of thing.  Although now I am working on some ideas for a more sci-fi cyberpunk game in the Uplink vein (although who knows what will come of it).  :)
Agent Bluechip
level0

Postby Agent Bluechip » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:21 pm

For names such as Yahoo it would be easy to make them different but peiople to recognise this is what I mean:

Yahoo = Yahwho
eBay = dDay
Google = Doddle/Poodle

See what I mean, you keep the same sounding kind of names, but then no law suits should be filed :)
I came, I saw, I Posted!
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:08 am

All of these ideas would require a ton of coding, but I think it just might be worth it. If it becomes online, I sure hope you're good at deleting logs, cus I'm gonna frame you guys! Just kidding. :) The Introversion server had some good ideas in it, particularly the "hacking in groups" idea.
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
Pug
level0

Postby Pug » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:53 am

Well, I've just started the game, so take this in stride, but I'd like to see something like this as *part* of a MMPORPG.

As a game, there are some limitations to how exciting I think it can be - it *needs* storylines to keep it going. But as a part of a game, I think it could be a very strong addition. I'd love to see something like this combined with a cyberpunk genre RPG. Or a really good online Shadowrun style game, where you need to coordinate the shadowrun team with the hacker.

That would be, imo, excessively cool - <G>
Ithross
level0

Postby Ithross » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:01 pm

How about the ability to hack into high level mainframes (Government, or extremly large corporations) and stealing info about secret projects, then Emailing them (or hacking it onto a major channel) to News agencies as a mission.

You get the press saying both how a 'secret' government facility was hacked, and condemnation over a new Secret weapon that came from such and such a corporation.
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:53 pm

Great idea! :)
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
Tuxedo Penguin
level2
level2

Postby Tuxedo Penguin » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:59 am

Great ideas, great ideas.

Maybe the reason the IV dudes haven't released anything about <the next game> is because they haven't made it yet; and they're waiting for us to spew out a load of good ideas.

*raises pinky to lips*
"Our galaxy is tens of trillions of miles across, and surrounding it are countless galaxies of comparable size. All the cosmos that we have mapped out are only a grain of sand on a neverending beach. The universe extends infinitely beyond what your brain
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:51 am

umm...Good Ideas dudes! :-) I`ve made the ability to zoom in/out your worldmap with scrolling mouse :) => The most interesting idea is the presequel of Uplink - year 2005/2006 - I`m working on Uplink mmog called FlashLink - I`m currently in stage II of development - the game(client) has about 1,5MBs and soundtrack(created also by me) has about 20MBs :-D So I think that there would be two versions : lite and normal. I will make an interactive web where you could chat with agents from game and read/listen to the lastest news from world of hacking :-) . I have no storyline yet...FlashLink stands in year 2015 (5 years after Uplink), but the idea of year 2005 sounds good....maybe if it will be a mmog, it could be from year 2005 to year 2015. If you have some ideas for new story,missions , I`ll be happy if you contact me :-)
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
Linker
level3
level3

Postby Linker » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:29 pm

Guys... why did you bump 5 month old topics?

Linker
exosyphen
level2
level2

Postby exosyphen » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:03 pm

I believe the best playground for a hacking simulation game, is to create an online game, and base the actual game on a good scripting language.

Allow the players to code their own commands,tools, etc ... don't give them just a virtual online world and a virtual machine that can run any code you can feed to it.

Gamers will code their console/GUI whatever and evolution will take it's natural course.
RoystonD12
level4
level4

Postby RoystonD12 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:12 pm

Ahem.

Darksigns flopped.

I think that says it all, really.
what.up('yo');

Return to “The Future”