The Future - Uplink United

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

CrKr
level0

Postby CrKr » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:04 pm

An idea I would like to put to you all...

I think that every uplink fan has some kind of idea to do with improving the game, but wouldn’t it be good, if a new community was created, one were there was complete freedom.

One with a website that contained a freeware game called 'Uplink United' a game that had all the same features as uplink and more, were all you have to do is register as an uplink agent online, like you do to join a forum (with no strings attached), once registered on the website you could download your own free copy of a basic version of the game and from that you have all the same options but you have an extra menu which checks the uplink united website for updates / patches / storylines / programs / in-game programs like a backdoor creator that has recently been very cleverly suggested, and all you have to do is click on selection and the program/game automatically downloads the update and installs into the game source.

The updates would be able to be extremely small so even an ordinary 56k modem can download it instantly.

The website can also contain (when logged in) a forum; for posting idea’s, which can be reviewed weekly or monthly and put into action were people who are able to contribute to the coding of the game put the ideas into action and send in what they have done, this can be converted into a patch, put on the website’s server so that it will be available on the games update / news menu and users can download them.
Polls so that people can vote for what the next new features will be added to the game and plenty more.

The game could even be multiplayer where two friends or just anyone wanting a hacking match with anyone else could become true with a click of the mouse. Two players can race against time to get into the other persons computer and blow it up by planting a virus on the hard drive. (PLEASE NOTE that this would all be fictional and not real as it would cause devastation to millions of people). It would all be a huge bonus for true uplink fans.

What I am suggesting is an open source project, like the 3D game open source project called Reality Factory http://rfactory.uber-geek.ca were anyone can download a copy and create there own 3D game but uplink united can already be created so that people can just download there copy and download updates to make the game more interesting, but there can be a section on the website were people contribute to the game so that they can see it put into action. The source of the game will become free to anyone who joins the website so that they can send in anything they have added to the game to make it more enjoyable.

To make this possible, for anyone who wants to add onto the game, the executable could be made with an already existing program I have been interested with for a few years now called ‘Game Maker’, I know it sound lame but is in fact, almost perfect for this type of idea, have a look at the program at: http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/index.html , the program is freeware, and is constantly being updated so that uplink united could also be constantly updated and users could enjoy the game even more.

Please don’t take this too seriously, it is just an idea, but can come true if a few of us uplink fans come together to create a completely new uplink experience.

It would all be a lot of work, but with a small community, it could revolute to everything I have mentioned in a matter of months.
bfdd
level0

Postby bfdd » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:18 pm

I like the idea, maybe email Chris or something for permission to use companies and things as such in the first one or something that way we have a little resemblence to the first?
whishper
level0

Postby whishper » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:12 am

have you seen my post in "Will Uplink  open source?"?

Return to “The Future”