Programming

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

NegativeZero
level0

Postby NegativeZero » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:43 pm

I've just started playing Uplink, so correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Hacking is all about programming, and I have yet to see ANY, ANY programming involved in Uplink! I was getting really excited, but now I'm just a bit put down due to the lack of programming. I think there should be a number of missions where you are required to write a program/script of your own, rather than buying one (that's just...no.)

Just a thought
NegativeZero is watcing you.
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:16 am

Uplink is based on hollywood hacking, not real hacking. Real hacking/cracking is a slow and boring thing to do and it wouldn't make for an exciting game.
There is no patch for human stupidity.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:08 pm

It's not meant for realism, its mean for fun - I'm sure some people would like really realistic hacking sims, but most don't
fanboy
level0

Postby fanboy » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:31 pm

It doesn't even have to be real programming.
You could just buy a basic programming kit and select the functions you want to add to your program.
Like a passwrd breaker, with a memory and logic function, so he would remember what passwf were prev. used by that company and can see a logic patern in it, so he can break it faster.
Or imagine making your own stand-alone log deleter.
Just select the server you have root on, and your program will connect and delete the last x logs (minus last one : connect established)

Nearly infinite possibilities!
Your 30-day trial has expiered. Please register now or find appropriate crack if wish to continue using this program.
Finderwolf
level0

Postby Finderwolf » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:31 am

what i would like (but this is a mix of programming and rpg) is that you can buy only the basic version of the programs. Then, depending on certain skills you have and that you can improve while advancing the game (the rpg part) you can modify the basic programs.

The end result would be the money will not be an issue, but your agent rank, because only high ranked agents would be able to modify a proxy bypass v0.1 and make it into a proxy bypass v5.02

The "attributes" of the programs would be size (the higher version, the less memory), cpu usage (the higher the more) and (that's for a supposedly online gameplay) blackmarket price of the program.
Kejistan
level1
level1

Postby Kejistan » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:27 am

making the game more like an RPG would really suck.  Though you do have a point about making programing stuff like proxy bypass better would need to have a good rank.  But i think that if you were to just go with you would have to buy a compiler/decompiler it could even that because of the price issue.  Uplink does need a way to edit and program but making it RPG style with skill would be pretty junk.  I like the idea of selecting what you want a program to do too, it would make it easy for people who arn't used to programing.  Though having them make their own programing language for the game would really kick some serious ass *erm* butt.  There are ups and downs to both of these methods but if it were my vote i would have to say that they should make their own programing language becuase you would be able to do so much more.
Another Great quote from W. Bush
"Now days most of our imports come from other countries."
jabe2022
level0

Postby jabe2022 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:43 pm

I am all for a programming language. Perhaps two different types, one for executing batch commands in a console, and the other, a virus programming language to make custom viruses by using a special command type to execute hidden commands.
To BE is to have an IMPACT!
War Gamer
level0

Postby War Gamer » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:30 pm

Hi Theres a game similar to Uplink called darksigns and involves programing. go to
www.darksigns.com
Wilko
level3
level3

Postby Wilko » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:03 pm

We already have too many people having trouble with the damn voice analyzer! Not to mention deleting files, or hacking government servers (supposidly) or any of the other stuff all newbs have trouble with. I am proud I could actually figure it out for myself and not look for help, you can't ask a public forum for hacking help in the real world :D

If so many people are having trouble with those simple tasks imagine how many HELP ME posts will be made when Introversion (not if but when, if they want to keep up with DarkSigns).
"Ye who sit in front row will most certinitely get wet"
Makam
level2
level2

Postby Makam » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:53 pm

Plus, there are people like me who enjoy the game, but have got no programming knowledge whatsoever. would that mean that the game would be nigh on impossible to finish for people like me, or just that people who can program get a much easier time of it?

You could include a tutorial on programming in whatever language would be needed, but then theres the possibility that people wont buy it. People buy uplink cos its a damned good game thats easy to get in to. if you take away the 'easy to get in to' bit, you might turn people away.
Makam: Everyones favourite palindrome
JohnWho
level2
level2

Postby JohnWho » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:36 am

Hm, I don't think a real programming language would make sense here, not even a common scripting language. It's a game, and if programming was to be involved, it should rather be something like graphical programming (connecting certain software modules together). After all, you're bound to make lots of errors, especially if you're not acustomed to write software everyday, and I think this would rather spoil much of the fun.
I think hacking itself must be a difficult and often frustrating task (never tried it), and Uplink let's you experience the challenge without that hassle that you didn't want to have (different operating systems, etc.), so programming in Uplink shouldn't be like real programming...

Just my opinion :-)
Kejistan
level1
level1

Postby Kejistan » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:20 am

Perhaps they could have a graohical programing thing which you could do some things in, but if you wanted to do other stuff they could make a simple programing language so that you could make program modules to link to gether with the graphical version.  It would cause lots of errors, but what fun is there withough them?
Another Great quote from W. Bush
"Now days most of our imports come from other countries."
Cartonachka
level1
level1

Re: Programming

Postby Cartonachka » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:21 am

I attended training sessions for IT professionals. I regret not knowing those specifics. To finish my assignments, I sought aid with my https://www.programmingassignment.net/services/asp-net-programming-help/ because of this. I'm delighted there are professionals who can assist with such things. I can now study programming languages more easily.
Con una lupa en mano y estadísticas en mente, estoy aquí para https://loterias-mundiales.com/ compartir mis estrategias de caza y aprender de las tácticas de la comunidad. ¡Acompáñenme mientras perseguimos juntos la suerte en el Loto de Argentina!

Return to “The Future”