Military Systems

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

scutum
level4
level4

Postby scutum » Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:14 pm

would terrorists be able to afford computers?
humanity is a virus
I am the cure 011000100110
Zaranthan
level1
level1

Postby Zaranthan » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:01 pm

They can afford flight school. They can afford airline tickets. They can afford AK-47s. You do the math.
-ZaranthanYour mileage may vary. Offer excludes tax, title, and license. Not valid in New Jersey."I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."---Douglas Adams
Crazy Carl
level1
level1

Postby Crazy Carl » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:52 am

<This devolved into a rant about halfway through, so don't take me seriously or flame me... I still think that it is postworthy, however. Sort of a glimpse into my brain.>

Well, I thought about this some more, and here's what I think.

The addition of missions involving stealing data from arms manufacturers, biochemical research labs, banks, etc. Either working for or against various militaristic groups, official and nonofficial, is something that should be added when new content is needed.

The truth about Hacking is that you're doing something illegal. You're hurting somebody, directly or indirectly. And you're doing it for profit. Other hackers are not your friends, they are your competition and your enemies. You do the job, get paid, and forget about it. You don't question whether it's right, or the people that employ you to do it. Any sort of freelance hacking is essentially the 'dark side'.

People who have personal problems with terrorism, war, poverty, computer fraud, and the like must either put those aside and play the game, or leave it. In the game you end up working for many organizations that seek to destroy their competitors. The end result of which is a breakdown of competition, emergance of monopolies, and pain for many thousands of people who lose their jobs.

Think carefully before making any argument that hacking isn't going to end up negatively affecting somebody, somewhere, that didn't want anything to do with it.

The reality is that hacking sucks. But this game doesn't. The relief of this game is that it allows you to perform lots of hacks without actually hurting anybody. Sure, it's hollywood hacking, but who wants to spend countless hours learning unix and perl, probing encrypted password files, memorizing system exploits, etc.
The point of the game is to be mentally stimulated by the story, action, and environment.

What is the bottom line? Where do we draw the line of acceptance? Real wargames with nuclear attacks that kill millions? Redirecting money or weapon shipments that enable an evil despot to gain power in a small middle-eastern country? Re-writing a resistance group's orders before they're broadcasted to the individual units so they become isolated and are slaughtered by the defending countries' armies?

Maybe:
We're Hackers. We get stuff done and don't ask questions.
scutum
level4
level4

Postby scutum » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:40 am

wow, deep stuff
humanity is a virus
I am the cure 011000100110
Ghanima
level1
level1

Postby Ghanima » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:26 pm

amen, Carl... preach on =)

If you can't put aside your political opinions to play a game i think you need to rethink the thought of playing.
it's not real, it's "make believe"...

I take it any of you who argue against this idea have never played RPG's like Dungeons & Dragons where half the characters being played are evil or evil pretending to be good etc.

it's *fantasy* get a grip on that, please.

((SPOILERS ahead for a couple of games possibly))
yesterday i played all the ARC missions and ended up nearly destroying the entire internet; why? because it was fun and i'm not doing any real harm.
I play the game Jedi Outcast; sometimes i play Dark Side and kill random people... why? because that's in-character for a Dark Jedi and I enjoy being in-character wether it's an RPG or FPS or Uplink.

so, if you're going to argue that working for terrorists in a game is wrong you need to go throw away CounterStrike... you need to reevaluate (sp?) your entire standpoint on computer gaming and get rid of half of your collection of games.

</rant>

Return to “The Future”