Unix type shell

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

StarTux
level0

Postby StarTux » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:52 pm

Would it be difficult to put an option in for a Unix type shell?

rm replace delete etc?

I have other ideas that I can post later.
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:10 am

Quote: from StarTux on 10:52 am on Jan. 24, 2003[br]Would it be difficult to put an option in for a Unix type shell?

rm replace delete etc?

I have other ideas that I can post later.
Do you mean a full UNIX-like shell like sh or just replacing the DOS-ish commands with UNIX countarparts?  The former would be too much work, I'd imagine (have you ever seen the source code for bash?  woooo!).  The latter can be almost done with some hex editing (I had a problem with one command when I was editing my v1.1 for Windows executable, though).

That'd be cool if Chris would put preprocessor defines to make the consoles feel like the OS that Uplink is running in.  That would definitely be an interesting addition. :)
.what.
StarTux
level0

Postby StarTux » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:39 am

Oh just replacing the current DOS like commands with Unix ones.

Putting a whole bash shell within the game could be fun, but would be overkill and not just on the game itself.

StarTux
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:22 am

Quote: from StarTux on 1:39 am on Jan. 29, 2003[br]Oh just replacing the current DOS like commands with Unix ones.
Ah yeah, understandable.  Most of them can be changed by unpacking the executable (Uplink is packed with UPX) and hex editing the result.  I actually did that on the v1.1 Windows executable, but there was one command that gave me trouble (I think it was delete), probably because it took a parameter.  I wouldn't imagine something like that would be too hard to make customizable, though... (hint hint :))
Putting a whole bash shell within the game could be fun, but would be overkill and not just on the game itself.
It would be fun, but it would definitely be hard to program on top of everything else.  Another problem would be learning the thing.  A lot of Uplink players don't even know what DOS is and would probably consider having to learn a UNIX shell abuse. :)
.what.
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:36 pm

want unix like shells? check out this hacking simulator:

http://www.darksigns.com
meow
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:02 am

Looked at it and am interested, but I can't afford to buy anything for a while...

Any idea when a demo will be out for it?
.what.
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:48 am

demo will be out very very very soon. i think in mid february
meow

Return to “The Future”