Save to memory

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Laggig
level0

Postby Laggig » Mon Dec 10, 2001 5:37 pm

that would be nice
save a voice in the memory
or why not the bounce map and looad the bounce map as a program istead of adding all points everytime...
Setec Astronomy
[i]what can u get out of that[i] [b] NO not that..... [b]
WATCH ME LIVE AT http://webcam.laggig.dhs.org
milez
level0

Postby milez » Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:44 pm

bouncing points save? No, I believe isn't necessary. Saving voices recordings, yeah! it's a good idea.
--------------------------
milez as you
Fatal Exception
level0

Postby Fatal Exception » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:51 pm

It'd be good maybe if your bounce points WERE actually saved SOMEHOW, so you can load a saved bounce route after quitting the game and loading again
Chriz
level0

Postby Chriz » Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:51 pm

What I would like is the ability to _modify_ a bounce route - say remove the server I'm going to from the middle of a long route I've already made, and adding it to the end.
Possibly have a route editor in the server list ? Another checkbox next to the names - when unchecked, it removes the server from the rout, when checked, it adds the server to the end of the route ?
No target is ever completely secure.
Braku
level0

Postby Braku » Fri Dec 21, 2001 5:04 am

and maybe add some colors to differentiate the type of server:

Public servers: Green
Mainframes: Red
Etc, etc
From Argentina.
Riesgo Pais Alto xD
Attm0
level0

Postby Attm0 » Sat Dec 22, 2001 8:38 pm

i think that is an amazing idea.
ive said it from the start "why o why cant my route be saved" coz its the one thing i dread when starting up the game heheh.
but yes if you could save yer route into memory like 1 slot, and maybe save multiple routes also.
and the idea of another check box for the servers is fantastic, removing them from the route and adding them to the end, i like it alot.
the color thing is good.
and maybe some sort of server list organisation... like all public access servers together

and hell possibly put each type of server in its own tab.. instead of filtering. but leave the filtering option in also..
so you have 3 or 4 tabes.. or whatever, one can be pub access, then mainframes, internal services, pc's, voice thingies.. =) just to make the lists smaller and more easily navi'd
does this make sense to anyone?
I'm so l33t @ h4><0ring, I can't even get into my own accounts.
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Sat Dec 22, 2001 10:49 pm

Said this before and will say it again. Saving even one route for too long is a bad idea. Just game mechanics-wise if nothing else... keep using the same route, and you'll get nailed. There's nothing (currently) in effect to keep people from using incredibly long routes besides the time it takes to set them up. It's a strength. Either have something to counterbalance the insane 70+ bounce routes, or leave out the ability to save more than one, even temporarily.
xhAze
level0

Postby xhAze » Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:50 am

i think it's a good idea to make the server you want to connect to red instead of white so its clearly visible and not mistakenly selected as a route :P
DeathKnight
level0

Postby DeathKnight » Mon Dec 24, 2001 2:36 pm

I hate all the pointing each times, it makes my head hurt :P

Why not just click you target followed by a make random route button.. It's not that it's a interresting secret that you need to connect throug various gateways for some longer time.
SilverGryphon
level1
level1

Postby SilverGryphon » Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:00 am

I like the idea of having the bounce-map (or several) as files in your memory. It also adds the possibility of "finding them" on some systems, for example. Something like a hint how another hacker you need to hunt in a mission usually works etc.
(What is courage? - To try and fail... but rise to try again.)
Orpheus Sun
level0

Postby Orpheus Sun » Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:11 am

Saving voice prints?
F*** ****K Yes! That would make a certain mission where time is of the essence easier, instead of causing me to break into tears because of the futility of it all.
"I am not sure how clouds get formed. But the clouds know how to do it, and that is the important thing."
Kid Shenck
level2
level2

Postby Kid Shenck » Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:31 am

Saving voice prints would be a nice thing to be able to do. I think it might be pretty cool, if system administrators stopped answering the phone or got caller ID after quite a bit of calls with no one on the other line. They could also go out (or off) and forget their cell phone or something, but that would be a pain.

A random route button is a terrible idea, since the servers you route through matters. You would have to know where you were routing though, too, because you have to delete the logs to avoid passive trace.

I have mixed feelings about saving routes. I do like to save a bounce route through InterNIC and the banks (sort of a fresh canvas to which to add).

I once thought about multiple routes through the same server, to give you more time, but that's a terrible idea for reasons I can't explain.
Kid Shenck
Check your local listings.
Nerohj
level0

Postby Nerohj » Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:51 am

Using the same route is logically not a good idea. But in the game, it works fine. Because if you just delete your internic logs, they will always trace you back to there and then they hit the dead end.

However, you'd think that if they ALWAYS lost their trace at internic, theyd install some monitoring software to nab you the next time you tried to go and delete logs or something. It seems pretty redundant after the 100th time!
Nerohj
Kid Shenck
level2
level2

Postby Kid Shenck » Mon Jan 07, 2002 1:56 pm

Well, you would think that if always lost their trace at InterNIC, they would get suspicious when "127.0.0.1 connection closed" was the only other log. The AI isn't the best in there. The Feds would surely at least question you about it, even if they didn't arrest you.
Kid Shenck

Check your local listings.
SilverGryphon
level1
level1

Postby SilverGryphon » Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:14 pm

Yes, that's right Kid Shenk.
However, you have to keep in mind, that the logs are very simplified. I would suppose on a public server like interNIC, hundreds of people regularly connect to. So if it were real, it would not only be your connection that's listed there but several hundred others, too.

It's just simplified, so the player doens't get too confused  with 100 pages of log entrys... I think.

(I wouldnt mind having more activity on log files though, much more activity. And it's a must if Uplink will ever go multiplayer...)
(What is courage? - To try and fail... but rise to try again.)

Return to “The Future”