Linux package compilation

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

cefi
level0

Linux package compilation

Postby cefi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just bought Uplink from GOG, and I noticed that the game did not start on wine in Ubuntu 12.10.
I know and understand that this game is meant to be played on Windows, but thanks for you guys I have the SC as well. 8)

Is it possible to compile my own Linux (Ubuntu) Uplink package (sh or deb or else) from the SC?
Could you please help me to do that? :)

Thank you for your answer in advance,
cefi
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 am

Uplink is so basic I'm surprised it doesn't works in wine, but I guess nobody really tried because you can run it natively!

Uplink available from the Introversion Store do have a build for Linux (I'm not sure how well it runs on recent builds of Linux).

Also, and this may be the easiest way, I think Uplink is available from Ubuntu Software Centre (Ubuntu Store)!

Else you may build it yourself, but you'll need to buy the Source Code and have some knowledge about compiling a problem and playing with libraries.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
cefi
level0

Compilation is the main point

Postby cefi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 am

Yes, that is my point.
I know it is available in Ubuntu Software Center, but as I mentioned before I've bought it for Windows, as GOG had a special offer, so I did not want to miss it.
However, there is no point to buy the game again in Ubuntu Software Center, as I have already bought it, right? :)

So I was wondering if there is any description, how to do it. I have compiled only prepared software, honestly I have no clue, how to do it with a source code. Furthermore, as I mentioned, I have the source of the game.

Or a proper wine setup would fine for me as well: the needed windows dependencies for the game, what is not native in wine as a default setting.

Thank you for your help! :)
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:07 am

If you want a Linux version from GOG, ask GOG about it, there is not much Introversion can do about what a third party decide to provide or not.

To compile Uplink you need the Source Code that is 45$, some knowledge and a lot of patience. People buys the Source Code to make modifications to the game, not really to play Uplink since normally, they are already hook to the game.

Secondly, like I said, nobody really bothered to try to make Uplink works in wine since you can play the game natively...

If GOG cannot provide a Linux version and you are unable to make Uplink works on Wine by yourself, you may stuck to re buy the game.
cefi
level0

No progress, I would say

Postby cefi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:25 am

Well, let me tell you I'm kind of dissapointed.
I was expecting some useful support from your side, as Introversion could make such awesome games, I thought you make good care that your customers can enjoy your work.

If you want a Linux version from GOG, ask GOG about it, there is not much Introversion can do about what a third party decide to provide or not.

Of course, I would not expect GOG to give anything for free, for what they would have to pay again.

To compile Uplink you need the Source Code that is 45$, some knowledge and a lot of patience. People buys the Source Code to make modifications to the game, not really to play Uplink since normally, they are already hook to the game.

I know, I've told you this before: I have the SC, otherwise I would not suggest to provide my some help about how to compile it.

Secondly, like I said, nobody really bothered to try to make Uplink works in wine since you can play the game natively...

The game does not run natively, otherwise I wouldn't be here. After starting it suddenly quits, although the installation was successful. That is why I was wondering, what are the components and dependencies (dlls) the game would need to run properly.

Thank you so far, I'll try other sources, with better luck I hope.

Kr,
cefi
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:28 am

Good point, you have the Source Code. I didn't get that "SC" part. English isn't not my first language.

If you want to compile the game, I guess the best way is probably to get the latest version from SVN.

Head over to the Development forum, see the post IV Hosted SVN now available and download the source.

Then check the BUILDING.linux in the root directory.
cefi
level0

Thank you! :)

Postby cefi » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Thank you for the details, I will do so!
No probs anyway, English isn't my first language as well. ;)

Kr,
Viktor

Return to “The Full Game”