Tracing through a Public Access Server

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

sandycaesar
level0

Tracing through a Public Access Server

Postby sandycaesar » Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 am

Currently, I'm well on my way to tracing the top (actually, second-best thanks to me) Uplink agent, after his death was reported on the news but before he sent out his email. I've hacked the ARC mainframe, found his access logs, followed him backwards from the mainframe through the Genetic Inc mainframe (no problem), the Firstwave Bank (easy), and then...

What the hell?!

The next IP address is a public access server, on which I have no clue how to access the logs. Worse, upon further examination the logs in the bank point not to the Genetic Inc mainframe, but to yet another public server!

I've double-checked the logs on the bank. Before you ask, yes, they were at the exact same time and date as the logs on the Andromeda server and the Genetic server, so I couldn't have mistaken one log for another.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Is this a bug on the part of the game, or has the hacker modified his logs somehow? And if so, how can I trace him?

EDIT: Never mind, I got him. Turns out using Log Undeleter on that last log was what did the trick. Obviously I need to do more Trace-a-Hacker missions. Amusingly, when I copied the AndromedaCore and then deleted the original copy on Tom Western's computer, the news service reported on it as a routine "company got hacked and lost millions" piece of news.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Return to “The Full Game”