did not get Revalation file in ARC email

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

ShuRugal
level0

did not get Revalation file in ARC email

Postby ShuRugal » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:33 am

^^ exactly as topic says, the Revalation file failed to be attatched to the ARC email.

now what?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:36 am

Start a new agent, and next have some memory left on your gateway?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
ShuRugal
level0

Postby ShuRugal » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 am

ach, suppose it's irrelevant now, accidentally logged into Uplink ISS as admin....

crap, been through six characters in four days, and that one was doing spectacular, already had all software and a healthy collection of 200 turbos, ram, and bandwidth.....
Tsunamii
level1
level1

Postby Tsunamii » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:56 pm

The key to this game is apparently to never make any mistakes.

Also, while you could have been out of memory, its also entirely possible that the file went right to your hard drive and you didnt notice it. Its not immediately apparent that it does this sometimes.

Tsunamii
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Just stop posting.
Tsunamii
level1
level1

Postby Tsunamii » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:16 am

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Tsunamii
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:04 am

If you had added to the discussion, I would have been happy to add to the discussion as well. However, you bumped a topic that has been dead for two months, that was posted by someone who is not here anymore. What you added was pointless, and didn't help anyone. Stop bumping old topics.
Tsunamii
level1
level1

Postby Tsunamii » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:02 am

Actually, out of the 2 comments I added, both will help somebody out there using the search function at a later date I am sure.

In any event, its 2 more than you added.

Tsunamii
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 am

Let me propose to you a hypothetical situation. Recently, you found out about a local group that meets in the bar every Saturday for a beer, and to watch the game. This group has traditions and behaviours that are considered correct and incorrect. However, rather than taking the time to learn those traditions, or listen to those members of the group that are more senior than you, you barge in, make talk when you shouldn't, say things that don't matter, and generally annoy more senior members of that group.

Would you say that is an appropriate way to behave?

That is what you have done here. You have been asked by a very senior and well respected member of the community (Rkiver) to stop bumping old topics. On this forum, we tend to frown upon such behaviour. Could he and I have been more polite? Perhaps. But that doesn't change the fact that you are breaking rules that you would have learned if you had bothered to learn the culture of the forum before spamming 15 different topics.

Now, rather than taking the opportunity to learn from your mistakes (hey, we all make them) and try to integrate into the community, you are arguing. That's fine. If you continue to argue, however, I would be willing to bet that your stay here will be frustrating and counterproductive for you. This community can be quite harsh to people that don't bother to learn or follow the rules.
Tsunamii
level1
level1

Postby Tsunamii » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:56 pm

I would agree with you if it werent for 2 things

1) This is a forum designed to help people, not a forum designed for long time members to "hang out".

2) You are actually hurting the profits of Introversion Software by acting like you do. If I was Introversion I would have banned all the newbie flamers among you so instead of having 3 or 4 long time posters there might be 3 or 4 hundred newbie posters that stick around and like the game and tell more people to buy it and they buy more introversion games themselves.

Believe it or not, but I do work in Marketing so I have some idea what I am talking about. Strong communities that integrate others willingly and communities that adapt and mix together with new members do lead to more game success.

Another interesting thing to note would be that America was exactly the same way in the 1700s and that helped turn it into the world's number 1 superpower.

I am not going to give you advice, but if I was going to I would tell you to take your hang out and flame newbies group somewhere else so you quit hurting the success of this game that I personally love.

Tsunamii
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Tsunamii wrote:Another interesting thing to note would be that America was exactly the same way in the 1700s and that helped turn it into the world's number 1 superpower.

I think you're confusing "willingness to integrate" with "abundance of natural resources, isolationism and slavery" ;)

Uplink is a 6 year old game now, and a single player game at that; we're not about to get an influx of 400 newbies. Bumping topics is frowned on in pretty much any online community you'd care to name, and chances are that in those 6 years, what you have to say has already been said, and the bloke who posted here two months ago hasn't been idly waiting for your reply. If you wish to contribute to the community, being at ends with its established members is not the way to go about it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:42 pm

Tsunamii wrote:IBelieve it or not, but I do work in Marketing so I have some idea what I am talking about. Strong communities that integrate others willingly and communities that adapt and mix together with new members do lead to more game success.

And the IV community is pretty good about allowing people to enculturate to it. Some of my favorite people (bert_the_turtle, Ace Rimmer, Jelco) were all newbies at one point. However, unlike you, they learned how to behave in this community. We are happy to have them, and they enjoy their time here. We love it when new people show up and want to be members of the community. Hell, I'd love it if you would pull your head out of your ass, stop trying to change the world, and start making an effort to follow the advice that you have been given.

Tsunamii wrote:Another interesting thing to note would be that America was exactly the same way in the 1700s and that helped turn it into the world's number 1 superpower.

Bullshit. US policy towards immigration has always been restrictive. The first immigrants were almost universally from what is now the UK, with others treated like second class citizens. The slave trade provided labour for next to no cost. American Indians were not given citizenship until the 20th century. Chinese were not allowed to become citizens or testify in court until the very late 19th century. In the 19th century, the Irish were seen as dirty and bad. Then the Italians. Then the Poles, Russians, and Ukrainians. Right now, Mexican immigrants are treated like crap. So, again, bullshit.

KingAl hit the nail on the head. The US is a successful nation because of vast natural resources (fertile land, coal, oil, gold, silver, copper, beavers, wood), and a reliance on slave or cheap labour.
Tsunamii
level1
level1

Postby Tsunamii » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:52 pm

U.S. policy on immigration has not always been restrictive, pretty much anybody that wanted to live here in the last 30 some odd years has been able to pass security with little problems. AFAIK all the 9/11 stuff happened because our security procedures were far too lax.

Also, dont pretend like slaves werent brought here by europeans who already had them and who wanted to make a profit.

We dont have 1000s of years of history to fall back on, but in the last few hundred we went from a nobody to #1. Call it what you will.

Europe made heavy use of slaves for what more than 1000 years and we did for a bit over 100?

Also, europe has natural resources too, and we get most of our oil from the same places you do.

But thats not the point.

I added to old discussions so what, you have a couple hundred threads about each individual subject I cant imagine why you want to kill the usefulness of the search function any more than it already is.

All the stuff I posted save for anti-flaming was stuff that I wish I would have known when I started the game. Hopefully the redundant copies of information I supposedly posted will help improve new people's search function abilities that show up after I am long gone.

Tsunamii
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Tsunamii wrote:--==<snip>==--

Again, you are incorrect. The US has always been wary of immigrants, and has never really tolerated them well. 9/11 has almost nothing to do with it. You need to brush up on your history.

Tsunamii wrote:Also, europe has natural resources too, and we get most of our oil from the same places you do.

Not to the same extent that the US does. At the time of colonization, wood and metals were big exports to Europe. Neither was readily available there, because the mines had been mined out, and the forests had been cut down. Add to that the pelts of exotic animals, and the North American continent, specifically what would become the US, was quite resource rich.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, the US had more metals, and more arable farmland than Europe. Again, more, better resources than could be found in the old world. Also, historically speaking, much of the oil in the US came from Texas and Oklahoma. At this point, most American oil comes from South America (in contrast to European oil, which comes from the middle east).

Tsunamii wrote:I added to old discussions so what, you have a couple hundred threads about each individual subject I cant imagine why you want to kill the usefulness of the search function any more than it already is.

All the stuff I posted save for anti-flaming was stuff that I wish I would have known when I started the game. Hopefully the redundant copies of information I supposedly posted will help improve new people's search function abilities that show up after I am long gone.

Nearly everything that you have posted is available in the stickies at the top of the forums, and in the guides that are linked therein. If people aren't going to bother to read the stickies, I hardly think that they are going to be bothered to search.

In other words, your whole spiel about searchability is a red herring. You made a lot of posts, were called to the floor about it, and are now trying to justify it. Again, I don't know what you are really trying to accomplish here, but all you are doing is pissing off members of the community. If you would let it drop, and stop posting in old threads, you might realize that this really is an open and inviting community. Continue to behave as you are, and you are just going to get yourself worked up.

xander
Last edited by xander on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:14 pm

Tsunamii wrote:U.S. policy on immigration has not always been restrictive, pretty much anybody that wanted to live here in the last 30 some odd years has been able to pass security with little problems. AFAIK all the 9/11 stuff happened because our security procedures were far too lax.

Also, dont pretend like slaves werent brought here by europeans who already had them and who wanted to make a profit.

We dont have 1000s of years of history to fall back on, but in the last few hundred we went from a nobody to #1. Call it what you will.

Europe made heavy use of slaves for what more than 1000 years and we did for a bit over 100?

Also, europe has natural resources too, and we get most of our oil from the same places you do.

But thats not the point.

Eh? There's a difference between living and working in a country and travelling to it - you've no idea how coveted American green cards are. And mr_anonymous is American; this isn't a 'European vs. American' thing, it's a 'reality versus dandified myth' thing. But yeah, it's irrelevant.

Tsunamii wrote:I added to old discussions so what, you have a couple hundred threads about each individual subject I cant imagine why you want to kill the usefulness of the search function any more than it already is.

Tsunamii

As pointed out earlier, (a) the people to whom you were responding are highly unlikely to check the thread months later, and (b) everything has already been covered over the last 6 years - hell, people with the DevCD have been able to pick the source code to pieces finding out this stuff. I've got no doubt that you were trying to be helpful when you originally made the posts, but now that you know the forum's modus operandi, don't post in old topics; this doesn't preclude you from helping people when they ask questions. Arguing on this subject is pointless.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch

Return to “The Full Game”