How to hack personal pc's

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Tisca
level0

How to hack personal pc's

Postby Tisca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:24 am

Hi guys . I am new on this forum , and i wanted to ask you a question .

As it says in the subject , How do i hack personal pc's ?

When i connect to a personal pc , it says "No external log-ins permitted , Please leave now".

I know its a noob question , but i just started playing yesterday .

Can anyone help me?

Thanks .
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

You don't need to hack personal PCs, and so can't - at least, that's my understanding. There's one exception to this that I know of - an optional extra for the curious during your investigation of ARC early in the story.
Tisca
level0

Postby Tisca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks alot for your answer .

But - i know i dont need to hack the personal pc's .

But it really seems nice , that some people can go to the bank with another bank id , and transfer money to their own account .

And when i finaly get through to a personal pc , its a phone number .
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:24 pm

You need to use Log UnDeleter.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Tisca
level0

Postby Tisca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:36 pm

Log undeleter will only erase my log ? - what can i use that for to hack a personal pc ?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:58 pm

You can't hack PCs in Uplink (apart from the easter egg KingAl hinted at). Also, bouncing through PCs and modems wont prevent passive or active traces from catching you.

BTW, what do you think PC stands for? ;)
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Tisca
level0

Postby Tisca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Dunno? You tell me ?

When it says : David Beckhams's Personal PC ?

Then i would guess that is it David Bechhams OWN pc , where he's personal stuff lay on .
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:12 pm

frenchfrog wrote:You need to use Log UnDeleter.

Ok, I guess I have to explain this answer a bit now that I see that you got to a personal computer with the helps of the Cheats. The only way to normally end up on a PC is when you do trace a hacker mission. When it happen to you, it means you needs to use the Log UnDeleter on the log that pointed you to the PC.

Also, I would point out that you are most probably not running the latest version of Uplink if the cheats are enabled. See my signature for the latest patch and for the Uplink guise that should much of your questions.
Apa7HY
level1
level1

Postby Apa7HY » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:10 am

frenchfrog wrote:Ok, I guess I have to explain this answer a bit now that I see that you got to a personal computer with the helps of the Cheats. The only way to normally end up on a PC is when you do trace a hacker mission. When it happen to you, it means you needs to use the Log UnDeleter on the log that pointed you to the PC.

Also, I would point out that you are most probably not running the latest version of Uplink if the cheats are enabled. See my signature for the latest patch and for the Uplink guise that should much of your questions.

You can get to PCs without cheats enabled. For example, earlier today I went to delete my logs at InterNIC and I found that someone from a phone number had accessed InterNIC for whatever purpose and viewed a file. Well, I used IP_Lookup to determine that it came from a PC.

I'm running version 1.54, soooo....
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Sure, you can get to PCs if you really want to, but this is not the point. During _normal_ play you never need to hack PCs, if someone happen to think he absolutely needs to hack a PC he must have done something wrong.
Apa7HY
level1
level1

Postby Apa7HY » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:25 pm

frenchfrog wrote:You need to use Log UnDeleter.

Ok, I guess I have to explain this answer a bit now that I see that you got to a personal computer with the helps of the Cheats. The only way to normally end up on a PC is when you do trace a hacker mission. When it happen to you, it means you needs to use the Log UnDeleter on the log that pointed you to the PC.

That was a little misleading, sorry.

Also, never at any point did the OP say he needed to hack a personal computer. I think he just wants to.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:41 pm

I do agree that I presumed too much on his intention. And I guess I got a bit rude by his double posts and his lack of using Search.

Newcomers tend to come with questions without given any context and I assumed, wrongly, that he ended up on a PC on a trace a hacker mission. This very question about hacking PC come up all the time (Search for all terms 'trace hacker personal').

(And I got the Cheat part from another of his post, which is in fact a duplicate of this one, see Stupid question .)

btw, no need to bump 3 weeks old thread to say that in some cases I could be wrong ;)
Apa7HY
level1
level1

Postby Apa7HY » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:35 am

frenchfrog wrote:I do agree that I presumed too much on his intention. And I guess I got a bit rude by his double posts and his lack of using Search.

Newcomers tend to come with questions without given any context and I assumed, wrongly, that he ended up on a PC on a trace a hacker mission. This very question about hacking PC come up all the time (Search for all terms 'trace hacker personal').

(And I got the Cheat part from another of his post, which is in fact a duplicate of this one, see Stupid question .)

btw, no need to bump 3 weeks old thread to say that in some cases I could be wrong ;)

Ah, it's cool. I don't see how everyone around here who is new is such a noob, seriously. This game isn't that difficult to understand if you have even a small grasp on how real networks work. Then again, I'm a network admin for a large corporation myself :3 Haha. But I can understand your frustration, as being a real PR person does take its toll.
Stormeagle13
level2
level2

Postby Stormeagle13 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:46 pm

[quote="Montyphy"]You can't hack PCs in Uplink (apart from the easter egg KingAl hinted at). Also, bouncing through PCs and modems wont prevent passive or active traces from catching you.

BTW, what do you think PC stands for? ;)[/quote]

I think Personal Computer, or at least thats what i assumed it was
It takes a noob to not know what noob means.

In Life There Is Death And In Death There Is Pizza!

Sometimes we all have to look in the mirror and say,"Who is that ugly *****"
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri May 11, 2007 7:33 am

... not only was that entirely irrelevant, but you'll have to untick 'Disable BBCode in this post' in order not to fail at quoting.

Return to “The Full Game”