Avoid paying a fine?

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:11 pm

ScareyedHawk wrote:It's not "broken". They deliberately disabled it to prevent invulnerability. They are yet to remove that from the gateway description, though.

The description was patched somewhere in the new betas.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:54 pm

Yeah... Like I said, I just found it strange that someone had made the claim that the feature had always worked for them...

Hence the inquiry as to the version they were using, if they had some kind of mod, or if perhaps he was just on some kind of heavy hallucinogen. :D
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Don't put words in my mouth! I never said that it had 'always worked' for me, I simply said that I hadn't got caught while using that gateway.

(Though I won't refute the possible contribution of hallucinogens)
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:08 pm

frenchfrog wrote:
ScareyedHawk wrote:It's not "broken". They deliberately disabled it to prevent invulnerability. They are yet to remove that from the gateway description, though.

The description was patched somewhere in the new betas.

Oh, I didn't notice that.

Speaking of faulty descriptions, last time I played (which was 1-2 weeks ago) the Arunmor mission where you hack into the ARC LAN is wrong. I noticed you (or someone else.) has changed the LAN so that you don't connect to a modem, then directly to the main server. However, it still says in the email (or, said) that a man on the inside will install a modem once you have hacked in.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:42 am

I think the LAN is generated at random, and will sometime contains a modem and sometime not it seems ;)
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Put words in YOUR MOUTH ?

KingAl wrote:Seriously, once you successfully bank hack, any money you lost in the past through fines is negligible. Just deal with it, do a couple of extra missions. Also, it can be a good idea to get the gateway with the radio transmitter - you can build up your funds while worrying less about being traced and disavowed.

KingAl wrote:It doesn't work? Heh. I never got caught when I used it, so I suppose I assumed that it worked.

I'm certainly not trying to put words in anyone's mouth... but based on this what other conclusion would anyone else come to?

However I'm sure you will argue the semantics of "while worrying LESS about being traced and disavowed"...

That being said... I really don't want to argue about it, I guess I just drew the wrong conclusion... and like I said, not trying to put words in your mouth
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:09 pm

My reply was meant to be jovial - hence the hallucinogens reference - but nevertheless the key point was this:

KingAl wrote: I assumed that it worked.

(emphasis added). ;)
My second post was highlighting why I had posted as I had originally, not further claiming that it worked.

HaloNothing wrote:Yeah... Like I said, I just found it strange that someone had made the claim that the feature had always worked for them...

Now, as in the first post I never said that it actually worked, but merely made reference to the supposed feature, and in the second I highlighted that it was an assumption, I felt that stating I has said "the feature had always worked for [me]" was putting words in my mouth. See where I'm coming from? I didn't mean for it to appear that I was attacking you :oops: .
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:28 am

well that's fine I was not offended, I was actually appologizing for jumping to conclussions...

I was not trying to get you started either...
necropolis123
level1
level1

Re: Avoid paying a fine?

Postby necropolis123 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 pm

Chishi wrote:Ok, so i got busted recently and had to start over (again, bad habit of mine)... Got a mission to a file server that traced a bit faster than most, and now one of these damn companies wants me to cough up 1000 credits, I know that it is next to nothing, but I love being an evil bastard cheapass... Is there any way to avoid paying this measly 1000 credits, without being thrown in jail?

You can pay the fine from any bank account, or you could throw ranking out the window and go on the warpath like me, first you pay the fine, take note of their banks IP and their ACC# and next you hack in, steal all their cash, have their adminsitrator and boss guy arrested, wreck ther internal services, central mainframe and finally LAN

Peace is restored!!!!!
"We trust no one Danny, no one."
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Peace? Mmm-hmm...

Great way to annoy the people you bank with...

Shwart!!
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:22 pm

I had no idea that completely trashing a company permanently put them off your scent - I'll have to keep that in mind next time I play.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:03 pm

KingAl wrote:I had no idea that completely trashing a company permanently put them off your scent

It does?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:30 pm

That's what necropolis123 stated - I'll have to try it out sometime. I'm fairly sure that if the system you attacked is trashed, they have to get it back up to trace you - perhaps he's mistaken getting extra time with being left untouched...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 pm

KingAl wrote:That's what necropolis123 stated - I'll have to try it out sometime. I'm fairly sure that if the system you attacked is trashed, they have to get it back up to trace you - perhaps he's mistaken getting extra time with being left untouched...

The first thing he said to do was pay the fine though. Presumably he also implicity meant delete logs between hacks
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
necropolis123
level1
level1

Postby necropolis123 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:41 pm

It doesn't mean that it'll keep them off your trail, it's just rather fun too ruin their lives completely.
"We trust no one Danny, no one."

Return to “The Full Game”