Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

DarkWraith007
level1
level1

Uplink Money Question

Postby DarkWraith007 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:35 am

Hello everyone,

I recently played Uplink on my friend's computer (I'm at his house now).

I've seen some local shops at the mall selling "Uplink:Hacker Elite" for under $10, versus the price on this website. What's the difference between U:HE and the website version? I had already gotten the U:HE version but haven't installed it yet on my computer.

So I was playing and I found something odd, probably unintentional but I'd like to ask something. Sometimes when I do the "contact" in the BBS Mission list, I talk to the person and *sometimes* they will give me more money, and other times they'll refuse, but there's a good chance they'll give me at least half the money, but if I refuse and try again then I almost always can get all the money upfront.

So what's the system for determining the chances of them giving you more money or all the money upfront? If I could manipulate this a bit in my favor perhaps I would have an easier time getting software.

In my game, I was able to acquire the Bypass HUD Upgrade plus all the Bypass software and I was inside a bank and I took all the money out of this person cause in the mission they wanted me to tell how much was in the account. I noted down a few other IPs and account numbers that I saw in their logs. Strange thing is that I had both bypasses running (monitor and proxy) but when I went to respond to the mission, it blanked out and said I had gotten reported and had to start over.

Wtf? Did I do something wrong? O_o
It just seems odd to me that they'd find me when it didn't show that I was being traced.

Till then.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:20 am

I think Uplink:Hacker Elite comes in version 1.0, just apply the patch 1.31 and should have the same thing that you would get from this web site.

Now for the bank hacking problem, I would just say that there is active and passive traces. To end the passive trace you must delete all logs of the transaction plus your normal access logs. There is tons of thread talking about this on this forum, the most recent one being http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=36005.

You can also have a look at the FAQ (spoilers!!!!): http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=31203
DarkWraith007
level1
level1

thanks

Postby DarkWraith007 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:57 pm

Thanks so much for your responses! ^_^
Yeah, I checked the other threads and they had the bank thing explained. I knew about the passive traces but they happen while you're connected to the bank with two bypasses running? It just seems odd, almost like a bug (as in WHY would they even KNOW that I'm there if I have the monitor and proxy bypass running, and there's no firewall!). Just doesn't make sense to me but meh, the game is still kinda buggy. I know they are common bugs of course.

Would anyone know about the Mission Contact money thing? When you CONTACT someone and then you can ask questions like "Who's the target?" "How secure is the target?" and demand/ask for more money or half/all the money upfront. That part is what I'm talking about, as I'd like to know how it works and if its just completely random or if its a better chance of getting more money with a higher rating or something.

Till then.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:05 pm

It's random.

Also, Uplink: Hacker Elite is the version of the game distributed by Strategy First.

IV gets no money from your buying this.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:16 pm

eh, it's partly random, you do have better chance of having some money in advance or getting more money if you are of a higher level.
DarkWraith007
level1
level1

oh well, that's the way it goes...

Postby DarkWraith007 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:09 pm

xyzyxx wrote:It's random.

Also, Uplink: Hacker Elite is the version of the game distributed by Strategy First.

IV gets no money from your buying this.

Really now?
http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/hackerelite.html
That website seems to say otherwise, hmm?

However, I've heard about that on the other parts of this forum, as I recently read up on Uplink AFTER I had already purchased U:HE. If I could return it, I would but of course due to "rampant PC software piracy" they can't do a return. I don't need to do an even exchange for identical title either. >_>

Basically I found out too little too late, as IV hasn't exactly reached this little corner of VA here in the US. Its likely that my local shops aren't the only ones selling off whatever leftover stock of U:HE that's already there.

Its $10, so I seriously doubt that after the retailer takes their cut that "Strategy First" would get much money. Also to be honest, Uplink isn't worth the money, IMHO. Its a wonderful game but it IS an indie game with a VERY minimalist interface and very little to no replay value (aside from the mods). You know MOST developers would INCLUDE the mod kits for EVERYONE instead of making them pay for the Dev CD. Just saying, that mods will be limited to those hardcore enough to basically buy the game twice. >_>
We should be able to mod with modding tools without having direct access to the entire source code. Of course I know it was something hacked in at the last minute after release, so at least its there at all rather then not.

So lets see, a price breakdown for you, since I'm here in the US and not able to locally purchase it in England.

Regular - 20 British pounds = 36.74800 U.S. dollars
Dev CD - 30 British pounds = 55.12200 U.S. dollars

Do you see those numbers? For a game that's this old?
I hate to break it to you, but I'm not willing to shell out that much money ($37) for a game that's MORE THEN FOUR YEARS OLD!!!
Even for games *still* this expensive, they come in a bundle pack with one or more expansion packs plus FULL ONLINE SUPPORT and MULTIPLAYER and MODDING TOOLS and the whole nine yards. And it isn't some obscure title that's barely known around here in the US.

I do HUMBLY APOLOGIZE if I can't make lots of money from making video games like IV can. Granted it may not be in the millions but IV has pocketed more then most devs that go to publishers and get the life sucked outta them. IV shouldn't even be in this business for the money, it should be about the passion of creating new and interesting games that break the status quo. Isn't that what being an indie developer is all about?

In addition, why not thank (insert your diety/being here) instead of whining about money? Why not be thankful that IV can code, and program, and all of that, that they've been gifted and given the opportunity to pursue their dreams. So many companies go under doing what IV did but a healthy dose of luck can make a difference, and what if nobody liked the game and it all came crashing down? How's bankruptcy sound? BE THANKFUL that they even broke even, let alone made a healthy profit.

They have other more recent games, and should they make it to US shores I'll be happy to check them out. I would however suggest competitive pricing in line with the standards of the country you are selling to. Perhaps there aren't tons of awesome games over in the UK like there are in the US. I mean goodness, how many 4+ year old games can I name that are available in the US and offer so much more in graphics, playability, community support, everything. All this for under $20.

My, this has turned into quite a rant, so I'll just cut it off here.
Till then.
Last edited by DarkWraith007 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:13 pm

Have you ever looked at the ages and prices of items in Antique shops?
DarkWraith007
level1
level1

Postby DarkWraith007 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:36 pm

prophile wrote:Have you ever looked at the ages and prices of items in Antique shops?

Actually, yes I have. They are antiques. Uplink is *not* an antique. Granted it is several years old but its not considered an Antique by dictionary terms or even computer software terms. Can computer software even be considered an "antique"? It has no physical form, its data which doesn't physically alter (hopefully) over the course of decades. You can find people that have converted console game cartridges like NES games into digital ROM files. The cartridge itself might become an antique someday but the actual digital file can't. The whole property of calling something an "antique" relates to how well a physical item appears after decades. The minimum seems to be around 20 years old for motor vehicles, and at LEAST 50 years old for most other items, though actual collectors would consider nothing less then 100 years old to be an "antique".

With that aside, after going through quite a few posts here I merely get the sense that many of the so-called "Veterans" on this forum can only make snide remarks and vague euphemisms instead of actually giving out hints or doing more then saying "search Google". Granted people can do it but in case you didn't notice Google isn't the most precise when it comes to certain things you are trying to find. Not everyone knows about Wikipedia, and yes as hard as it may seem not everyone knows about Google or what it is.

Uplink is a difficult game and giving out some hints like in the very awesome "Ultimate Uplink Guide" would really do much to prevent newbies from shunning this place like the black plague.
Also perhaps such energies could be used to make more mods, hmm?

I found the answer to why I got traced so quickly while hacking the bank and its because I was still using Log Deleter v1. I believe the AI merely uses the Log Undeleter on it and thus locates me. I confirmed this in my most recent "capture" that occurred when I was hacking into the "Sample Company Internal Services" computer. I set up a Proxy Bypass, then disabled the proxy, the monitor, and the firewall (in that order). I did have the trace monitor (version 2) running but it didn't show that I was being traced. I was only in that computer to hack into the admin account so that I could use it as a bounce point. I added the links to my list, deleted the logs (again with log deleter v1) and disconnected. Then I went to Internic and deleted my logs there as well. After all this I fast-forward a bit so that I can get more missions then my screen blacks out and it says I was "discovered" and had to start over.

So the moral I guess is to get log deleter v4 as soon as possible. Maybe I'm wrong on this? Someone could clarify? And yes I've already searched Wikipedia and Google.

Till then.
Last edited by DarkWraith007 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:23 pm

*dazed and confused by the large amount of offtopic text in the thread*

uh, yeah. Log_Deleter v1, v2, and v3 cannot ensure your safety.

Password_Breaker, Trace_Tracker and Log_Deleter (v4) are the three things you simply must have, in order to get anywhere.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:26 pm

DarkWraith007
level1
level1

utter frustration

Postby DarkWraith007 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:14 pm

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!???
*yells and swears profusely at the sky*

This seriously doesn't make sense, IMHO.
Ok, I was hacking into a (company name here) bank in order to check someone's balance. Once again just like before I did things in this order.

-Used several bounce points (other banks where I had an account) and a few compromised Internal Services machines. Used Internic as my first bounce point.

-Connected to the bank

-Clicked on the "Manage Existing Account"

-Activated Monitor Bypass, THEN Proxy Bypass (so that they wouldn't know what I was up to). No Firewall was present.

-Typed in the person's bank account number and used Password Cracker to crack the password. I had Trace Tracker (version 4) running the ENTIRE TIME since I connected to the bank and NO ACTIVE TRACES were showing!

-Ok, I'm in, and so far so good. I feel a bit mischievious and go to Loans, then increase the person's loan to 4000. I then transfer the entire balance to my account.

-Now I use LOG DELETER V4 to delete the log that shows the money transfer I did.

-I disconnect from the bank and go to Internic to clear the logs. I am in the middle of doing so when BLACK SCREEN OF DOOM and I get disavowed.

A small note, but perhaps its because while viewing the statement of all the transactions on the person's account, I paused Uplink to make a note of the IPs and Acct #s. Does the passive trace keep going even while paused?

So...my question is, what did I do wrong? I didn't take more then a minute (at most) to do everything, and I was in the middle of clearing the logs. Should I have cleared my bank logs first or something?

Just how fast does a bank do passive trace?

Any help would be appreciated. And for those who didn't realize it yet, I'm in the US so why would I use Google UK?
*smirks*
To each, their own.
Last edited by DarkWraith007 on Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkWraith007
level1
level1

SOLVED!!!

Postby DarkWraith007 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi

Wonderful news.
After restoring from a backup I had made prior to the bank hack (it would've really sucked to have to start ALL OVER again), I once again set out to hack banks and prove myself a worthy Uplink agent. Here it went...

-Connected to (company name) bank.

-Activated Monitor Bypass THEN Proxy Bypass (so that the monitor doesn't see you doing anything since its bypassed first).

-Entered account number of victim (given in mission e-mail) and cracked the password (NO active traces showing in Trace Tracker v4).

-Turns out this is another Uplink agent, and a newbie at that, judging by their pathetic bank balance. I see two statement logs for Uplink monthly fee deduction. Oh well, time to teach the newbie how to cry...hehe.

-I maxed out their loan (which added 4000c to their balance) then initiated the money transfer to my bank. Once I get the ok that it completed successfully, now comes the really fun part.

-I deleted the statement log showing the money transfer to my account using Log Deleter v4. Then I disconnected.

-Bounced through Internic and connected to Uplink International Bank.

-Logged into my bank account normally and used the Monitor Bypass, THEN Proxy Bypass so that I could do my work.

-Removed statement log showing the money received from the victim.

-Disconnected from Uplink bank and logged into Admin account at Internic.

-Cleared all Internic logs (bounce logs and admin account access logs) that would incriminate me. I only left the "connected and disconnected" logs.

-Shortly after doing this (within about 30 seconds real time), I get an e-mail from Uplink Corp saying that I was promoted in rank about 6 or 7 levels up. I'm at "Uber-Skilled" now, being merely "Intermediate" before. I'm also #3 on the Top 10 Uplink Ranking list.

HERE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS THAT MUST BE DONE, in order:
-Clear the bank statement of your victim showing money transfer to your account, using LOG DELETER v4.
-Use the MONITOR BYPASS before using PROXY BYPASS and make sure they are both v5.
-Log into your bank account after having both bypasses enabled, then delete your statement log that says you received money from your victim.
-Log into Internic and sterilize as well, particularly the bounce logs and admin access logs.

-BE SURE to clear your bank account statement BEFORE clearing the Internic logs! I tried clearing Internic first and was quickly caught.

-BE QUICK and just be sure to be thorough and clear whatever is needed. I wouldn't delete each and every statement log in the victim's account because they'd get suspicious, only delete the most recent one.

That's all that I've found, hopefully it helps.

Till then.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:27 am

Yeah, here's the thing.

Banks passive trace statement logs in mere seconds.

Also, passive trace on your access logs will NEVER occur if you manage to avoid an active trace. Don't use ANY bounce points when stealing money from a bank.

1. Connect to target bank (directly)
2. Bypass monitor and proxy (thereby avoiding active trace)
3. Access target account and transfer the finds to your account
4. Quickly delete the log in the target's Statement.
5. Quickly access your own account.
6. Quickly bypass the monitor and proxy.
7. Quickly delete your transfer log.
6. Disconnect.

Accessing your own bank account is very easily done by clicking on it in the Finances taskpane. :)
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:30 am

Don't you just love it when some random newbie appears from absolute nowhere and starts giving advice to veterans since 3-5 years back?
DarkWraith007
level1
level1

OMGWTFCHKNBBQNOW!!!

Postby DarkWraith007 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:49 am

ScareyedHawk wrote:Don't you just love it when some random newbie appears from absolute nowhere and starts giving advice to veterans since 3-5 years back?

*cynical smirk*
Who said the advice was for you?
Obviously you're such a l33t h4x0R that you could beat the game blindfolded, and you probably have the Dev CD and have made a crapload of the best mods out there. Oh I bet you're also on the Onlink mod development team, utilizing your EXTENSIVE knowledge of programming and uber-l33t hax0rz sk!llz to make life easier and better for the rest of us poor pathetic n00bs that can't possibly EVEN HOPE to comprehend the vastness of your greatly superior intellect! In fact, perhaps you could go to the Dev forum and explain to them the intricate inner workings of the entire game, down to each detail, hmm? Obviously you're such a MASTER at it that you've devoted such considerable time for it. And truely your words of wisdom shall inspire us all!!!

Till then. ^_^

Return to “The Full Game”