Steam Uplink Save "Failed to load user profile"

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Agumon286
level0

Steam Uplink Save "Failed to load user profile"

Postby Agumon286 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:47 am

I've had uplink for quite a while on steam, and I really enjoy the game. It has one drawback: my saves are never written to the saves folder. When attempting to load a save, it says "Failed to load user profile. Save version is []. Required version is between [SAVE56] and" and the rest gets cut off the screen :(. I'm running Win7 64bit on Uplink Version STEAM 1.55. I'm at a bit of a loss here. I don't know if anyone still gets on here, but I would GREATLY appreciate some help. Sorry if the answer is incredibly obvious. Here's a snippet of a quick agent create/save log if needed:

Code: Select all

Loading LAN from data/lans/sample.txt...done
Saving profile to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf.tmp...success. Moving profile to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf.usr...failed
App::SaveGame, Failed to copy user profile from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf.tmp to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf.usr
Loading profile from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf.usr...Print Abort: .\app\serialise.cpp ln 1022 : WARNING: FileReadDataInt, request read count is different then the readed count, request=1, readed=0, errno=2, .\game\game.cpp:260
App::LoadGame, Failed to load user profile
Loading profile from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf.usr...Print Abort: .\app\serialise.cpp ln 1022 : WARNING: FileReadDataInt, request read count is different then the readed count, request=1, readed=0, errno=2, .\game\game.cpp:260
Saving uplink options to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/options...success
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:36 pm

I guess the problem is that the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" directory can only be modified by a administrator on Windows Vista and up.

I guess the easiest way is to change the permissions on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Uplink\users" to allow "Everyone" to modify the files (or "Full control"). See Set, View, Change, or Remove Permissions on Files and Folders.

---------

Or install Uplink in a different directory:

1) On the main Steam windows, click top left menu "Steam" -> "Settings"
2) On the "Settings" screen, click "DOWNLOADS + CLOUD" tab
3) Click the "STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS" button
4) On the "Steam Library Folders" screen, click "ADD LIBRARY FOLDER" button
5) On the "Create or select new Steam Folder library", with the help of the "NEW FOLDER..." button, create a directory not in "C:\Program Files (x86)\", something like "C:\games\SteamLibrary\"
6) Accept the modifications

7) On the main Steam windows, click top left menu "View" -> "Game Details"
8) On the list on your games on the left side column, right click on "Uplink"
9) From the context menu, click "Delete Local Content..." and accept the removal of local content
10) Once the removal is done, on the list on your games on the left side column, right click on "Uplink"
11) From the context menu, click "Install Game..."
12) On the "Install - Uplink" screen, select the Steam Library folder created in the previous step in the "Choose drive to install to:" drop down list.
13) Proceed with the installation

---------

Please post back your results and the option you used.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Agumon286
level0

Postby Agumon286 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:03 pm

I did both of the options to be sure (adding the permissions to the freshly created library folder) and no dice. Unfortunately, I get the same error. The folder is at "C:\Games\SteamLibrary". Here's my logs, which seem to look exactly the same.

Loading LAN from data/lans/sample.txt...done
Saving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp...success. Moving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr...failed
App::SaveGame, Failed to copy user profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr
Saving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp...success. Moving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr...failed
App::SaveGame, Failed to copy user profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr
Loading profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr...Print Abort: .\app\serialise.cpp ln 1022 : WARNING: FileReadDataInt, request read count is different then the readed count, request=1, readed=0, errno=2, .\game\game.cpp:260
Loading profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/.usr...failed
Loading profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/.usr...failed
Loading profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr...Print Abort: .\app\serialise.cpp ln 1022 : WARNING: FileReadDataInt, request read count is different then the readed count, request=1, readed=0, errno=2, .\game\game.cpp:260
Saving uplink options to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/options...success
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Agumon286 wrote:Saving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp...success. Moving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr...failed

1) Is the file C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp exists?
2) Is the file C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp.e exists? (with .e at the end)
3) What is your anti-virus and/or firewall? (Try adding Uplink to the exclusions?)
Agumon286
level0

Postby Agumon286 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 pm

frenchfrog wrote:
Agumon286 wrote:Saving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp...success. Moving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.usr...failed

1) Is the file C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp exists?
2) Is the file C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp.e exists? (with .e at the end)
3) What is your anti-virus and/or firewall? (Try adding Uplink to the exclusions?)

1) No, this file does not exist. I do have a asdf2.usr, but it is empty.
2) Yes, and is 1,276 kb.
3) I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and I just added Uplink to the exclusions. (Didn't fix the problem)
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:59 am

The file "C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp.e" is your agent, could you copy it, rename it to "asdf2.usr" and try to load it?

For some reason, it seems Uplink is unable to delete the file "asdf2.usr" and rename the file "asdf2.tmp.e" to "asdf2.usr".
Agumon286
level0

Postby Agumon286 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:59 am

frenchfrog wrote:The file "C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/asdf2.tmp.e" is your agent, could you copy it, rename it to "asdf2.usr" and try to load it?

For some reason, it seems Uplink is unable to delete the file "asdf2.usr" and rename the file "asdf2.tmp.e" to "asdf2.usr".

That worked, but upon leaving the game it makes a new tmp.e and an empty .usr. The logs show it loaded fine, but the same error appears when trying to re-save. This was one I'd made before all this now renamed from .tmp.e to .usr.

Loading profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.usr...success
Loading LAN from data/lans/sample.txt...[Already Loaded]
Saving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.tmp...success. Moving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.usr...failed
App::SaveGame, Failed to copy user profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.tmp to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.usr
Saving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.tmp...success. Moving profile to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.usr...failed
App::SaveGame, Failed to copy user profile from C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.tmp to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/Agumon286.usr
Saving uplink options to C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Uplink\users/options...success
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23 am

This is looks like a permissions problem ... but could be a bug in Uplink where all handles to the file aren't close before trying to delete the file.
Agumon286
level0

Postby Agumon286 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:04 am

Well, it seems to be that renaming the files is a temporary fix. I'll have to use that until we get to the source of the issues.

Return to “Bug Reports”