Installation difficulties in Linux

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

dendodge
level0

Installation difficulties in Linux

Postby dendodge » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 am

I'm probably missing something, but I currently have Ubuntu 11.04 ("Natty Narwhal", IIRC), and I just paid £10 for Uplink from the official store. (I later found out it was available in the Ubuntu Software Centre for about half this price, and that would probably have avoided the problem I'm having, but it's too late to do anything about that now.)

Anyway, I got the .sh file, and saved it to a folder on my computer. I marked it as executable and ran it. I got a window with a small amount of writing and some dots in, followed by the text "Press return to close this window."

So I pressed return, and the window closed.

After that, nothing happened. I've probably done something wrong, but I'm just wondering where my game is.

EDIT: Since it might be important, the full text of the window is:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Uplink complete 1.54DOWNLOAD......................................
Press Return to close the window...

(Since it's impossible to copy-paste the text of the window, the number of dots was counted manually, and may be inaccurate)
keen101
level0

Postby keen101 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:25 pm

I bought the game awhile back in the cd edition, because i like physical objects. :)

But, anyway my edition is also the .sh install version. It worked fine last time i installed it. At this point I'm going to assume it installed correctly. Check your home folder. You should now see a folder called "uplink". Make sure the properties on the file in the folder named "uplink" is set to "allow file execute as program". and double click it and you should be good.

If you want though, you could go to >System >Preferences >Main Menu and create a new custom launcher with this as the command:

/home/insertyournamehere/uplink/uplink

and you can browse for the icon in "/home/insertyournamehere/uplink/uplink.png"
dendodge
level0

Postby dendodge » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 pm

No, there's no folder there. I've also enabled hidden files to see if that makes it appear, to no avail.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:35 pm

How far down this guide can you get?
dendodge
level0

Postby dendodge » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Well, I don't have the "GDebi Package Installer", but I can run the .deb files with the Ubuntu Software Center.

Apart from that, I gan do steps 1-6. But step 7 says:
7. Once these last two packages are installed, go back to your Downloads folder and double-click the Uplink install file we downloaded in the first place. This time, you'll see an error message regarding a missing package (likely libgtk-canberra-module.so), but this can safely be ignored.

However, that doesn't happen for me. Instead, I get that box I mentioned earlier, followed by nothing. The Uplink Installer mentioned in step 8 doesn't appear, either, and I have no uplink folder in my home folder, unlike what step 10 says should be the case.

So, to answer your question more succinctly, I get as far as step 6. Step 7 is where it all goes wrong.

EDIT: Unrelated to the above, but perhaps related to the overall problem, I'm on 64-bit. Would that affect anything?
keen101
level0

Postby keen101 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:23 am

hmm... check for a folder named "uplink" in the folder you had the .sh file?

Based on the message you saw in the little screen, your game should be on your computer somewhere...

This wont help, but you can run .sh files from the terminal. It's usually helpful if you get error messages that you want to copy and paste. to do so you would browse to your folder where the .sh file is by doing something like

cd /home/andrew
and then running something similar to this:

./uplink-complete-1.31.sh

You can then select with your mouse and press Ctrl-Shift-C to copy text from the terminal.

just to see what my old .sh file would do, i ran it. and i got an error:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Uplink complete 1.31............................................................................
/home/andrew/.setup1771: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

...and that's what is weird. Your little screen said it completed, so your uplink folder is probably on your computer somewhere. Check in your home folder or with your .sh file. If you can't find it, consider trying to use >Places >Search for Files to try and search your whole computer for anything named "uplink".
dendodge
level0

Postby dendodge » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:20 pm

I already searched my entire hard drive. Nothing. That's one of the things I thought was weird.
skheme
level0

Postby skheme » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:06 am

I have the same bug on the same Ubuntu version, went through the steps in the 10.04 -post but that does nothing. I don't know how to approach solving this though (I installed Makeself for the heck of it but that didn't -as expected- do anything).
skheme
level0

Postby skheme » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:10 am

Right after I post that I stumble into: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=39132

./uplink-complete-1.54DOWNLOAD.sh --target uplink

and all is good.
dendodge
level0

Postby dendodge » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 pm

skheme wrote:Right after I post that I stumble into: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=39132

./uplink-complete-1.54DOWNLOAD.sh --target uplink

and all is good.

You are a genius! Thank you very much! :D
dendodge
level0

Postby dendodge » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm probably being stupid, but inside the uplink directory that created, I have folders called bin, lib, and setup.data, an executable file called setup.sh, and various text files.

However, double-clicking setup.sh and selecting "Run" doesn't seem to do anything, and attempting to run it from the terminal gives an error message:

setup.sh: command not found

So, uh, what now?
dendodge
level0

Postby dendodge » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Ah, never mind, I found it. The game file was hidden in /lib/, among various .dat files. It seems to work fine so far :)

Return to “Bug Reports”