Ubuntu 10.10, game unplayable due to weird resolution

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

ojii
level0

Ubuntu 10.10, game unplayable due to weird resolution

Postby ojii » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi everyone

Just installed uplink from the USC on my ubuntu 10.10. I have a Geforce 8600GTM (binary drivers) on a 1440x900 screen. When launching uplink, the resolution is messed up and most of the interface is not accessible for me because it's outside of the screen. I can't find any configuration file (or menu) to tell uplink to run in 1440x900 mode (and fullscreen, since it runs windowed for me). Is there any way of getting this to run properly?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:09 pm

I don't know how it works in Uplink, but on the other IV games, there is a directory called ~/.<game name> (so, ~/.uplink) with a preferences.txt file in it with all the system settings. The other IV games also have trouble with widescreen resolutions, you may have to avtivate windowed mode in there, too.
ojii
level0

Postby ojii » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Code: Select all

jonas@jonas-mbp:~$ ls .uplink/
debug.log  hacker.tmp  hacker.usr  ojii.tmp  ojii.usr  options  usersold  userstmp

and 'options' is a binary file...
keen101
level0

Postby keen101 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:13 pm

You might try creating a new launcher or editing your old one with this:

Code: Select all

~/uplink/uplink -s 1024x576

That should in theory resize the game to those specifications. replace with the resolution you need. Once you do that at least once, the game should remember your settings. Once you choose a size that works, you should also now be able to get to the graphics menu in the game to change it. It's frustrating when a game starts in the wrong resolution and you can't even get to the menu to change it. It's also frustrating when you can't edit the settings in a text editor.

I'm testing this on a netbook at the moment, and the above resolution does indeed work for my computer, and the menu displays correctly, but the map is still too big for my screen. I may have to experiment with a custom resolution to get it to work properly. Or maybe the programmers could fix that in a later bugfix.

Return to “Bug Reports”