Steam problems

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

spimmy
level0

Steam problems

Postby spimmy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

Hi ever since i changed the game to windowed mode in game the game will no not load up a black screen then crashes

i also have the same problem in defcon multiwinia if it helps the games was working 100% before

ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling and its the same is there no way to default the ingame setting back ?
Retrospect
level0

Postby Retrospect » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:03 pm

There are a couple things you can do.

To reset your settings to default, you can delete the 'options' file for Uplink. To get there, you need to find your Steam folder, go to Uplink. You'll find the file in the Users folder.
For Windows systems, it's usually something like Program Files>Steam>steamapps>common>uplink>users.

If it's just the windowed mode causing problems and you don't want to lose your other saved options, you can modify how the game launches by using a command line. Steam makes this very simple to do. In your games list, right click on Uplink and select 'Properties'. Click 'Set Launch Options' and a new box should pop up with a line for entering text, an OK button, and a cancel button.
To launch fullscreen, type +graphics_fullscreen and press OK then launch the game
For windowed, -graphics_fullscreen
From there, you can edit the in game options and delete the command line if you choose.

For Defcon and Multiwinia, it's a little easier. Both games use txt files which you can easily edit. (Uplink's file is coded binary.) To find this file, use the same path but instead of going to uplink, go to the respective game. In the main folder there is a txt file named 'preferences'. Open with a text editor (like notepad), find the lines that start with 'Screen' and input your wanted specifications. ScreenWindowed is 0 for no and 1 for yes. Deleting the file will reset to default.
I haven't tried the command lines for Defcon and Multiwinia so I can't confirm if they work, but editing the preferences.txt file does.
matthewj
level0

run as administrator

Postby matthewj » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Have you tried running as an administrator?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Spam reported.

Return to “Bug Reports”