impossible mission arcInfiltrate: modem to mainserver

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

trony
level0

impossible mission arcInfiltrate: modem to mainserver

Postby trony » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:55 pm

In this mission, I have to bypass the LAN and copy the database... The problem isn't to resolve the LAN.

The modem is connected directly with the mainserver and when I try to enter, the system admin disconnects me immediatly. So I don't have the time to break the password, the voice verification and also to copy a file.

I don't want to restart the game for this(It' s a mission of the story-line), but I can't see any solutions.
Is there a way to complete the mission or restart it to change the LAN?

Ps. Sorry for my English, I' m Italian
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: impossible mission arcInfiltrate: modem to mainserver

Postby NeatNit » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Can you take any screenshots?

Hoping someone will come help you out, because I sure as hell don't know. But screenshots are needed to know what you're describing.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Re: impossible mission arcInfiltrate: modem to mainserver

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:18 pm

These kinds of really hard to defeat LANs can show up. There are a couple of things that you can do to get through them:

First, if you break a bit of security, then disconnect, it will still be broken, so you can, for instance, defeat the voice key, disconnect, then crack the password (I think that is the way it works---you may need to experiment a bit to figure out what you need to do; it has been a while since I've played the game, and I can't remember the exact trick).

Second, the voice verification thing succeeds if the prompt is on screen when the passphrase is completed. So if you start the passphrase playing before bringing up the prompt, you can get yourself some extra time (for instance, start the passphrase while breaking the password).

Third, start the file duplicator when you originally access the LAN (so that it is ready to go), have space for a file ready (so that you don't have to scroll to find an empty slot), and copy things one file at a time (i.e. log in, copy one file, then disconnect).

These kinds of very short modem-to-mainframe LANs are a pain in the ass, but they *can* be hacked with a little persistence.

Return to “Hints and Tips”