Bouncing, logs and game's clock

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

cloudropis
level0

Bouncing, logs and game's clock

Postby cloudropis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 am

Hiya, I just started this game and I need to ask you guys three things.
First: I had to copy an encrypted file from a database. Even bouncing my ip through all the gateways I had bookmarked it was still not enough time for me, so I used the interINC browser thingy, added a lot of random gateways to the list, and retried bouncing through all of them, and I had of course double the time than before. Point is... Is that it? What's stopping me from just doing this whenever I have to hack something that can trace me quickly, adding a bunch of gateways and bounce my ip through 300 PCs? I know soon I'll have to deal with much more dangerous stuff, but so far I can cheese my way in without problems.
Second: I didn't really get this because the game says both, when I delete the logs to avoid passive tracing the logs of which gateway do I need to erase? The target's or the one that starts the chain (usually InterINC because I have easy access to it)? So far I've only deleted the target's, but the Help section talks about the latter.
Finally: isn't the game clock a little bit.. Too slow? I know I can change the speed, but I SUPPOSE that I should use the quick-advance only for missions that require waiting, and play at normal speed any other moment, but it seems to be real-time like, I can't even access the storyline mission that requires waiting for a week or so because I've played for 1 hour in real life and the in-game clock is at... 1 hour! Shouldn't this be the clock speed for the majority of the game?
Thanks in advance.
OptimalNorway
level0

Re: Bouncing, logs and game's clock

Postby OptimalNorway » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:33 am

Hi there! It's been a while sincne I played this game but I am quite sure that you clear the log in InterNIC as you never get traced from it. If you think of the game as something realistic they bounce back when they passive trace you and if you delete logs from the pc your bounced too, they have most likely already passed that computer. So yeah, always have InterNIC as the first point of bouncing and keep deleting the connection and admin login route. DONT remove the lag that states that you connected to the InterNIC, as it would be suspicious to juts have a "connection lost" or similar without a connection established.
I'm an enemy of the word "Basically".
Yuyuko Saigyouji
level0

Postby Yuyuko Saigyouji » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:47 pm

OptimalNorway wrote:Hi there! It's been a while sincne I played this game but I am quite sure that you clear the log in InterNIC as you never get traced from it. If you think of the game as something realistic they bounce back when they passive trace you and if you delete logs from the pc your bounced too, they have most likely already passed that computer. So yeah, always have InterNIC as the first point of bouncing and keep deleting the connection and admin login route. DONT remove the lag that states that you connected to the InterNIC, as it would be suspicious to juts have a "connection lost" or similar without a connection established.

It looked like this guy missed a few things, so I'll run over it again real quick.

For every connection route, InterNIC should be the first hop (first thing you click) in a connection route. This gives you a point where you will always connect to at the end of a mission. Here, you will run Log_Deleter v4.0 on any log that reads:

XX-X-2010 - Connection from 127.0.0.1 bounced to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
or
XX-X-2010 - From 127.0.0.1: Password authentication accepted

You do not need to worry about deleting logs on any other computer.

cloudropis wrote:Finally: isn't the game clock a little bit.. Too slow? I know I can change the speed, but I SUPPOSE that I should use the quick-advance only for missions that require waiting, and play at normal speed any other moment, but it seems to be real-time like, I can't even access the storyline mission that requires waiting for a week or so because I've played for 1 hour in real life and the in-game clock is at... 1 hour! Shouldn't this be the clock speed for the majority of the game?
Thanks in advance.

I believe that the normal setting has the clock run at 1sec/sec, the second setting is 15min/sec, and the last one is 2hr/sec or something like that. The way I do is is that I do missions at normal speed, use the faster speed to wait for things I know will happen (news, mission update near 12am/pm), and use the fastest option for waiting on the update from hours away, storyline missions, and waiting for passive traces to complete (in a Frame a User mission, of course!).

The clock speed is manageable if you know what to do with it.
bcgoss
level0

Postby bcgoss » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:35 am

I see a lot of tips saying use InterNIC as your first connection. I have three follow up questions.

When I'm cleaning the logs on InterNIC, can I just connect directly to it or is it still a good idea to bounce around a few times?

Is it better to break the chain in more than one place? I currently connect to InterNIC, then several Public Access computers, then Uplink Test Machine, then more Public Access, and finally to my target. When I'm done I break the chain by cleaning logs on Uplink Test, then again on InterNIC. Is this a waste of time?

Finally, the question I'm most interested in having answered: Can I use the same bounce time and again, every mission? The "Save" and "Load" buttons are so tempting, does using them expose me to a trace? Should I only save some of my bounces, then finish the connection with random links?

I thought I cleaned up correctly, but some how a company found me after I destroyed their database. If none of the above caused the problem, then I must have simply not cleaned up correctly. Thanks for your input.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:33 pm

bcgoss wrote:I see a lot of tips saying use InterNIC as your first connection. I have three follow up questions.

When I'm cleaning the logs on InterNIC, can I just connect directly to it or is it still a good idea to bounce around a few times?

Is it better to break the chain in more than one place? I currently connect to InterNIC, then several Public Access computers, then Uplink Test Machine, then more Public Access, and finally to my target. When I'm done I break the chain by cleaning logs on Uplink Test, then again on InterNIC. Is this a waste of time?

Finally, the question I'm most interested in having answered: Can I use the same bounce time and again, every mission? The "Save" and "Load" buttons are so tempting, does using them expose me to a trace? Should I only save some of my bounces, then finish the connection with random links?

I thought I cleaned up correctly, but some how a company found me after I destroyed their database. If none of the above caused the problem, then I must have simply not cleaned up correctly. Thanks for your input.

I might be wrong about these, but here goes...

1. Just connect directly. It doesn't initiate a trace, so you have nothing to worry about.
2. Breaking the chain only on InterNIC is enough. It's the only server that allows you to delete logs without initializing a trace (if I remember correctly), so cleaning up logs in more than one server is a massive waste of time. (since the servers you connected to will also start tracing you, etc...)
3. As far as I know, there is no downside to using the same route every single time. As long as you clean up your logs, you won't get caught, and AFAIK getting caught in one mission doesn't do anything at all for any other mission.

It's most likely that you messed up...

Return to “Hints and Tips”