LAN admins are too fast to get anything done

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

ArchangelM127
level0

LAN admins are too fast to get anything done

Postby ArchangelM127 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 pm

I will preface this post by saying that I've just spent 35 minutes with the forum search function, trying to find an answer to my dilemma. Furthermore, let me state that this is NOT a question about navigating a LAN. I can do that quite well. I have all the toys in the game and can crack my way into the heart of any LAN with ease.

The problem arises once I've gotten to a company's file server. Even though I have everything bypassed and my last bounce is through the company's public access server, the instant I go to input security credentials on the target system I get detected. My understanding is that there's no way to prevent this. Fair enough.

However, even though I have my signal bounced through 30 different systems I have between 10 and 30 seconds of access time to the server. Most of this time is taken up putting in the voiceprint. On some LAN servers, I literally get kicked off before the admin's voiceprint can be verified. Is this a game glitch, or am I missing something? On normal systems I have a decent amount of grace time in which to work.

I'm more than happy to provide screenshots, a copy of my save, or whatever people need upon request. I'm running the Steam version of the game, which is v1.6 I think. Any assistance would be extremely welcome; it's to the point where I won't take any LAN missions anymore.
Somnolent
level2
level2

Re: LAN admins are too fast to get anything done

Postby Somnolent » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:33 am

In addition to tracing back through your bounces, the sysadmin is actually tracing through the LAN to find out what system you're currently on. If they trace you through your bounces or find where you are on the network, you'll get kicked. Because of this, your number of bounces are really only part of the equation.

However, I've never seen it give you too little time to even get through the voice analyzer. usually I find there's enough time to break into the system and copy off around three to five files before getting disconnected. I guess the only tip I can provide are to make sure that you have everything ready to go before you even connect to the main server (e.g. have your voice analyzer loaded, have password cracker ready).

Return to “Hints and Tips”