Traced hacker down to his phone?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Skaruts
level0

Traced hacker down to his phone?

Postby Skaruts » Wed May 02, 2012 7:46 pm

I was tracing the dead (ARC) hacker, and ended up finding only his phone number instead of his personal computer. Is there a way to find his IP through his phone?

This isn't my first playthrough, but this never happened before and I'm a bit confused now. If there's no solution to this, then I can't get the Revelation file...

Also, by the way, just one more thing. This happened to me in a previous playthrough, I traced a hacker in a mission, and it turned out to be me! (apparently I had my IP in some other company's logs even though I always used interNIC first...). The thing is, I deleted the log, and I tried to incriminate the dead (ARC) hacker, but it didn't work (didn't have any other hacker's name to try out). I think the mission is impossible, unless I deliver my own identity. But, wouldn't there be another way to complete it without handing myself? (This made me avoid hacker tracing missions afterwards)
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Are you using the best version of Log Undeleter? Did you double-check everything?
Skaruts
level0

Postby Skaruts » Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Yes, and yes. I have all the best equipments already. And I made the tracing twice because I was thinking I might have screwed up at some point. The second time, though, I took time at each step to check everything. I'm quite sure I didn't get anything mistaken...

There were no deleted logs though.

EDIT: Wait a minute! Since you mentioned the undeleter I kept thinking of it, and I used it on the phone number and the route IPs showed up. I didn't know you could undelete logs that were deleted by the best undeleter (it all appears as it was deleted by that one...).

Nice thing you mentioned it, because I wasn't even suspecting there was any log deleting around there. Thanks.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed May 02, 2012 10:33 pm

:)
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Wed May 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Note that there are THREE programs that can be used to mess with logs: Log_Deleter, Log_Undeleter, and Log_Modifier. Log_Undeleter can be used to restore logs that have been deleted, or to recover logs that have been modified. Hence, while Log_Undeleter cannot undelete logs that were deleted with the highest version of Log_Deleter, it can be used to recover logs that have been modified by Log_Modifier (which is what happened in your case).

Return to “Hints and Tips”