Help, please. How many bounces does it take??

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

kleefaj
level0

Help, please. How many bounces does it take??

Postby kleefaj » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:15 am

Hello. I'm playing Uplink 1.6.1 on Mac OS X.

I've hacked the LAN, I'm connecting to the Main Server. I have the Administrator's voice imprint and I can crack the password. My job is to Destroy rival software in development so I connect to the console:

Code: Select all

cd usr
delete

But the file deletion won't complete before I'm disconnected.

I have a bank account at all the banks (seven?) and I'm linking through them. I also have the administrator account on eight other systems and I link through them. But I still can't delete more than five or so files before I'm disconnected and have to try again.

Is this job not to be completed? Are there some jobs like that? Or am I not bouncing through enough systems? How many is enough?

Thanks,
Jeff
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 am

Uplink help: Read the FAQ
kleefaj
level0

Postby kleefaj » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:44 pm

OK, got it.

Read the FAQ a bit closer. I hacked 20 systems and had the same exact problem. OK, I'm doing it wrong. Wait, what's this File Server button? File_Deleter. Success!!!

Thanks,
Jeff
MestreLion
level0

Postby MestreLion » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 pm

kleefaj wrote:OK, got it.

Read the FAQ a bit closer. I hacked 20 systems and had the same exact problem. OK, I'm doing it wrong. Wait, what's this File Server button? File_Deleter. Success!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes, with a good CPU the File_Deleter (with close to 100% allocation) is faster than console.

But, for the original question on bounces, my suggestion is: the more, the better!

1 - Access InterNIC -> Browse Links
2 - Add *ALL* links. Yes, all dozens of them. Why be shy?
3 - In the map, set up a bounce route using them all. You may need to zoom in the map, because it will be a mess of labels.
4 - Click the magic "Save" button
5 - Back to the listing, switch their status to invisible so they don't pollute the map.

It is a pain, but you only have to do it once for the entire game.

Now everytime you need to bounce, you click "Load" and then click on your target (or click twice if the target was part of the route), and presto! 50+ bounces set up in 3 clicks.

Using this I get 200~300 seconds for even the most secure systems, which is quite enough for any mission.

Much later in game you may redo this from scratch to include all the newly aquired links, such as mainframes, lans, file servers, etc, which further increases trace time to 400~500 seconds.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Hints and Tips”