Why isn't the story line proceeding?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

waltergr
level0

Why isn't the story line proceeding?

Postby waltergr » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:48 am

I've read the FAQ, I've Googled, and I've read walkthroughs.

I received the email from the dead agent. I attempted to log in to ARC using his credentials. They didn't work, so I hacked in. I fast forwarded two weeks and didn't get email from ARC.

The walkthrough at http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/542350-uplin ... faqs/33032 suggests a different way to get the story line progressing: hack into ARC, examine the logs from when a file related to Revelation was downloaded, and follow the chain back to the dead agent's PC. However, examining the logs shows that nobody was even logged on when the file was transferred, so there's no chain to follow.

What can I do now?

This is the second time I've played Uplink, and the story line didn't even start the previous time. I've never actually gotten to play the story line.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33 am

The only thing I can think of is "When did you try to use the credentials given?" What you did with them is correct.

The alternate means you described requires you to figure out how and when to trace the dead agent before that e-mail is even sent.
waltergr
level0

Postby waltergr » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:11 am

Mas Tnega wrote:The only thing I can think of is "When did you try to use the credentials given?"

Because I assumed it would be difficult and risky to break into a computer owned by the company that the story line is based on and who (presumably) had an agent murdered, I did wait until my hardware was built up before logging in.

Is there some time limit that I may have exceeded?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm

There would be exactly that sort of thing, yes.

Either get the software/hardware faster next time or worry about it when you actually need it. You have to respond to the e-mail as soon as possible.

Return to “Hints and Tips”