Just added every link from InterNIC, questions...

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Dragnerok X
level0

Just added every link from InterNIC, questions...

Postby Dragnerok X » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:06 pm

I apologize if this question has been asked before (I didn't see it in the FAQ or on the first forum page) but I've just added every link from InterNIC and it has left my map blindingly cluttered, to say the least. I remember reading in the uplink help that call bouncing through certain systems gave pretty much no time advantage while others produced a significant advantage (banks and mainframes, I think) and I guess I'm just looking for a second opinion about which links are the most important to keep for call-bouncing purposes.

As a sort of question 1.5, I noticed that there are *3* settings a link can be set to, the sort of diagonally facing infinity symbol that makes a link visible, the absence of a button that makes it invisible, and a + sign which turns the dot on the map orange. I guess I'm just curious about what the functional difference between the normal link and "+" settings is, to make certain links easier to find?.
tommytom2k2
level0

Postby tommytom2k2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:13 am

Yes, the "+" is just so you can see a specific link easier.
Like, when you need to connect to the internal service machine before the mainframe.

I prefer to add all the links from Internic, bounce through all the links, save links, remove all of them from my links (off the map).
Then, from there, you can unhide just the single servers you need + the automatic added ones from missions.

Just load the saved bounces and make sure your target is last.

It still helps to use the + so you can unlink the internal, unlink the mission machine (mainframe), relink the internal, relink the mission machine (so you end up with internal>mainframe at the end of the bounces).

Public servers should never be on the map. Just click-connect to them, add the person's phone, take it off the map, click to call it and record the voice.
You only really need to search the name after that to find it since you don't need to bounce to or through it.
Dragnerok X
level0

Postby Dragnerok X » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks, that advice really helped and now I've got an extra two minutes when hacking the social security database. :D

Return to “Hints and Tips”