Mainframe connected directly to modem on LAN

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

vyshka
level0

Mainframe connected directly to modem on LAN

Postby vyshka » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 am

I'm on a destroy a mainframe mission, and the mainframe is connected directly to a modem that you dial in to on the LAN. The admin gets the drop on me in under 10 secs and boots me before I can barely get the delete command sent for usr. Any ideas on how to beat this system? Normally it would take him a bit longer to hunt me down on a LAN, but since they have it isolated like this from the rest of the LAN it is no problem to find me.

Edit:

Here is the layout of the LAN

Renodil
level1
level1

Postby Renodil » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:15 am

When it comes to that IMHO just abandon the mission. There's no way to delete the sys and reboot before you're caught.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Renodil wrote:When it comes to that IMHO just abandon the mission. There's no way to delete the sys and reboot before you're caught.

That's not true. It's possible, just very hard. The trick is to work one piece at a time. When you log in, you may have time to delete only one or two files using the file_deleter before you have to disconnect. You should have time to delete the system directory from the command line before disconnecting, and you should be able to reboot the system on the next connection attempt.
Renodil
level1
level1

Postby Renodil » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 am

That won't work. Even if you can delete the sys in time if you're kicked before you initiate the system shutdown the files are replaced when you log in again.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:39 am

If I remember correctly, the trick is to move on the LAN as the admin move so you don't get caught.

In your case, you may only have a fraction of a second to switch from the mainframe to the modem once the admin has moved on the mainframe to not get caught.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:26 am

frenchfrog wrote:If I remember correctly, the trick is to move on the LAN as the admin move so you don't get caught.

In your case, you may only have a fraction of a second to switch from the mainframe to the modem once the admin has moved on the mainframe to not get caught.

This. It's doable, just very, very hard.

Return to “Hints and Tips”