No jobs, fast forward, disavowed. Help, please.

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

kleefaj
level0

No jobs, fast forward, disavowed. Help, please.

Postby kleefaj » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:48 am

Hi.

Playing on a Mac, Uplink v. 1.6.1.

I've read the FAQ and the Ultimate Uplink Guide regarding Connection Bouncing. InterNIC is my first bounce point. Before I even reply to the client that the job's been done I clean the logfiles (Bounce Log and Password Accepted Log).

I'm waiting to collect on a "delete all files" job against Organic Software but the loss hasn't been reported yet. I fast forward and I'm caught.

I've backed up my user files (this has happened to me over and over) and can restore to about an hour and fifteen minutes before I'm caught. But I just can't move forward.

Who is catching me? I don't understand how they could be catching me when the InterNIC logs are clean.

I *do* have some leftover [Logfile deleted] on InterNIC from when I had the version 1.0 Log Deleter. Now I have the 4.0 version.
ACGalaga
level1
level1

Postby ACGalaga » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:54 am

I'm not the best person for giving help but I'm also (slowly) playing through the game now.

Have you made sure that you deleted your log files on Organic Software's computer?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:24 am

If you try to log into the account after you're disavowed you'll be told why and who caught you. From the sounds of it you've created a restore point just after you were passively or actively traced and that there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Unless perhaps you happen to have enough money to buy the self-destruct.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
ACGalaga
level1
level1

Postby ACGalaga » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:18 pm

I've lost a couple times. I get farther each time. Although it sucks to get caught, I keep getting quicker and better each time I restart the game.
kleefaj
level0

Postby kleefaj » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Montyphy wrote:If you try to log into the account after you're disavowed you'll be told why and who caught you. From the sounds of it you've created a restore point just after you were passively or actively traced and that there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Unless perhaps you happen to have enough money to buy the self-destruct.

Ah. I see that I've been caught by one the banks I'd either broken into or connected through. I restored my profile, connected to the bank, cleaned out the logs, but still got caught. I guess the damage had already been done before the restore point of my profile backup.

OK, let's try this all again. Again.

Thanks!
drSpockwa
level0

Postby drSpockwa » Mon May 02, 2011 3:50 am

I just got caught for the second time. I assume this was a passive trace. This time through I was clearing remote logs and internic (hop 1) logs as well.
Catches me when I fast forward to hear news on a delete files mission.
I don't understand why it's happening and this is not longer fun.
x-razor
level0

Postby x-razor » Mon May 02, 2011 5:19 am

Maybe you're doing wrong.
What are the logs you're cleaning?
The logs that you have to clear in the InterNIC (if you have put Internic as your first bounce link) is the bounce log (from 127.0.0.1 to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX),and the admin access log (the first, that appears when you log as admin).
Try to clear the logs on the server you've hacked. The logs the you have accessed the file, and the log that you've accessed as admin.
You can't clear all logs, logs such as 127.0.0.1 estabilished connection, when you disconnect from the server, the server will automatically create the log 127.0.0.1 connection closed. or XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX connection closed.
Elci
level0

Postby Elci » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 am

I had this issue too and was wondering if anyone figured it out...
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Read this for a step by step guide for bank hacking, including exactly what to delete, which is a thing a lot of people miss.
Elci
level0

Postby Elci » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 pm

I think I can tell people which logs to delete in my sleep now, I've read it so many times, but it still doesn't work. I'm trying to avoid the 'delete all files' mission to not get caught, but trying to hack a bank isn't working either cause I just always get caught.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:48 am

Tell us exactly what you do and with what software, step by step.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Elci
level0

Postby Elci » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am

Like I said in a different topic: I tried a couple more times, had log deleter open before doing anything so I wouldn't need to open it again and it worked! o_o I don't know if I was just lucky or finally fast enough. Or both.
But no I didn't have a monitor bypass, but since I had the password for the hacked account already, the active trace only starts after I start deleting statements... and I did use the same connection to make my account and transfer everything, I guess that didn't help me... but I guess if you practice a lot and get fast enough at it, it'll do!

And yeah I used log deleter 4, but too late cause when I fast-forwarded a couple of days, I ended up getting caught for a trace mission on a different bank so... new user again for me.

Return to “Hints and Tips”