Stuck in Extremely short LAN

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

no183
level0

Stuck in Extremely short LAN

Postby no183 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey there, as title mentioned, how to overcome short LAN.
There is no such method in FAQ, i search around this forum,
say that click back and back when been traced - FAIL
break the password and voice verification and disconnect and reconnect - FAIL
Reset the connection when admin near me - FAIL
EVEN i use combination of the method also fail.. Any idea?
I have to delete the file in the system, so i just manage to
1) cd usr
2) delete
3) disconnect
in the meantime the file on the way to delete, i already been traced until very near.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:32 pm

If the admin is booting you from the LAN too quickly you'll need to manually delete the files using file_deleter as the command line tool delete will only carry out the effects of the command if it completes i.e. getting booted mid-way through the delete command will not do a partial delete of the files. Carry out multiple hacks deleting a few files at a time. Also, if you disconnect from the LAN after cracking the central server's credentials they should still be valid when you rejoin but the admin wont be connected, buying a few more seconds. Finally, the techniques you mention are not fail. It is YOU who is fail because you're not doing it correctly.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
no183
level0

Postby no183 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Montyphy wrote:If the admin is booting you from the LAN too quickly you'll need to manually delete the files using file_deleter as the command line tool delete will only carry out the effects of the command if it completes i.e. getting booted mid-way through the delete command will not do a partial delete of the files. Carry out multiple hacks deleting a few files at a time. Also, if you disconnect from the LAN after cracking the central server's credentials they should still be valid when you rejoin but the admin wont be connected, buying a few more seconds. Finally, the techniques you mention are not fail. It is YOU who is fail because you're not doing it correctly.

How should i used all technique well then?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Uplink is not a game that is suitable for those who require being spoon fed every minute detail. Try employing some free thought and experimentation once in a while. You've been told what to do and what is possible, it really shouldn't be too hard to work this stuff out for yourself.

Hacker101
level3
level3

Postby Hacker101 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:48 am

When the trace (on the LAN) starts, I always just hit "bacK" so the admin can no longer find me. (Instead of hitting reset, which will disconnect me from the computer I want to be on.)
no183
level0

Postby no183 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:49 am

yay, and i done that, :)
now i am on a mission to steal coperate file on LAN, is it that there is a HIdden file on the main server ? i see no file in the server..
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:38 am

There are four possibilities:

1) You're connected to the wrong server.
2) You're looking for the wrong file.
3) You deleted the file at some point.
4) You haven't scrolled through the list of files.
Last edited by Montyphy on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hacker101
level3
level3

Postby Hacker101 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:48 pm

no183 wrote:yay, and i done that, :)
now i am on a mission to steal coperate file on LAN, is it that there is a HIdden file on the main server ? i see no file in the server..

How are you getting all of these LAN missions?!

I've done maybe 3 and not had any more popup... even when fastforwarding :(

LAN missions are fun. How can I get them to come back?

EDIT: I read it may have something to do with your neuromancer rating. What is yours like? Thanks!
no183
level0

Postby no183 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:20 am

Montyphy
1) You're connected to the wrong server. (I verified that, correct, Enzyme solution LAN)
2) You're looking for the wrong file. (the mission stated coperate database, but no even SINGLE file on the server)
3) You deleted the file at some point. (Impossible, as this is just my 2nd LAN mission)
4) You haven't scrolled through the list of files. (Not even have 1 file how to scroll)
Anyways, i abandoned the mission d.

Hacker101
hmm, I not sure, but i have tonne of them stealing and destroying file on LAN. My neuromancer rating is obviously on the good site(good to hacker's site), meaning that i never done those ruin's hacker's life one, i done those destroy/steal coperate data one. Btw, i finish the game already. I am working for arumor. Now want to load back and work for ARC :P
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 am

no183 wrote:3) You deleted the file at some point. (Impossible, as this is just my 2nd LAN mission)

Was your first mission to delete all files on "Enzyme solution LAN"?

no183
level0

Postby no183 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 am

yes, any idea?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 am

no183 wrote:yes, any idea?

So first mission was to delete all the files on the server and second mission was to do something with a file on that server, and you can't see that the problem is point 3 from my list (You deleted the file at some point.). If the second mission was to delete the file then you just had to reply to say you did it. If it was to steal the file then you messed up because you destroyed the file.

no183
level0

Postby no183 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

hey, i guess u misunderstood my meaning d.
My first mission is delete the file on LAN server, but not on enzyme solution server.
This (second mission) is to steal the file on the LAN server, ENZYME SOLUTION SERVER

Return to “Hints and Tips”